• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orion 8x30 ED (1 Viewer)

Gypa

They look at the very least to be remarkably similar but if you look at the fact that APM doesn't offer it. Orion has it now- sort of, as the expected in stock date has slipped 3 times- the first date of arrival was supposed to be in June/July as I recall. Regards, Pat

I know this is an old thread, but the Orion 8x30 ED seems to be available on their website (they're marked as "In stock"). I would be great to know if other forum members have tried it (I've read Pinac's and Denco's opinion, but not much else).

What I find puzzling is the following: I remember reading Pinac's reviews of the prototypes of 8x30 and 6x30 APM ED new Porro. Over time, the 6x30 is listed in APM website and the 8x30 is listed in Orion website, but not the other way round. Pinac mentioned that "according to APM, this 8×30 will remain prototype and will not be introduced to the market", which turned out to be true, but Orion did introduce what seems basically the same model under other brand. Any idea what happened here? Did the 8x30 fail to fulfill APM's quality standard and Orion thought it was OK? Did the OEM reach an "exclusivity agreement" with Orion/APM so that each one would only sell a model, namely Orion 8x30 and APM 6x30? I'm really interested in the 8x30, but importing it from the US would probably make it way more expensive than its original price.

Last edited:
Fun fact - the 6x30 APM is shown with a red ring on the objective barrel but the Orion 8x30 with a blue one. I received my APM 6x30 with a blue ring however and not red. Guess they mix and match the parts.

My modest opinion:
When I reviewed the two prototypes, I assumed APM was „in the lead“ in that they would define the specs according to which KUO would build binoculars. Then, when I suggested making some changes in the mechanical and optical setup, Markus informed me that he could bring KUO only to make minor mechanical modifications, but that a redesign of the optics (e.g changing the amount of field curvature) would not be possible. So I guess it‘s really KUO who is in the lead, and APM as well as Orion are just marketing what KUO has designed and produced. If I remember correctly, Markus was always only interested in the 6x model, and so I think it is good that someone like „Orion“ brings the 8x model to the market as well (at the time, I preferred the 8x30 prototype over the 6x30).

I like the 6x30 but I'd get the 8x30 as well if I don't have to pay 100€ extra for shipping and taxes. Unfortunately the model is not on the European Orion homepage.
One thing I notice when comparing models from the same series with different magnifications - the 8x models often have less curvature, better edge performance. Like the Kowa BD II 6.5x vs 8x or Opticron 6.5x vs 8x (I have the Celestron branded version but it's definitely from the same maker - maybe also KUO, I'm not sure). The APM 6x30, at least my specimen, has a slightly strange asymmetrical pincushion distortion which leads to what I call a bathtub effect when panning. But I still really like it. One of my most used binos at the moment.
I'd really like that 8x30 version...

BTW - there seems to be an armored "military" IF version of the model on aliexpress but with a slightly narrower FoV of 7.8°. And it has a reticle.

I tried the Orion 8x30 ED and I honestly wasn't that impressed with it. Build quality wise being MIC, or optically it didn't even begin to compare to my Nikon E2 8x30 which is MIJ or Habicht 8x30 W and the E2 is only $200 more. If you want an 8x30 porro forget the Orion and get the E2.

Last edited:
At least in Germany the Nikon EII is more than three times as expensive as the APM 6x30 (APM costs 200€, Nikon EII 680€ -- I'd rather take the Kowa BD II 8x32 then which is 400€) and I think it is excellent, except for the "bathtub"-effect while panning but that is not something that bothers me. It's not all that helpful recommending a much more expensive bino and saying how much better it supposedly is. Like someone asking about a Vortex Diamondback and people recommend a Leica Trinovid instead.

At least in Germany the Nikon EII is more than three times as expensive as the APM 6x30 (APM costs 200€, Nikon EII 680€ -- I'd rather take the Kowa BD II 8x32 then which is 400€) and I think it is excellent, except for the "bathtub"-effect while panning but that is not something that bothers me. It's not all that helpful recommending a much more expensive bino and saying how much better it supposedly is. Like someone asking about a Vortex Diamondback and people recommend a Leica Trinovid instead.
I had the Kowa BD II 8x32 and the Kowa BD II 6.5x32. They both have a huge FOV, but a very small sweet spot and noticeably soft edges. I personally found it very distracting while birding, but I don't like soft edges, especially when I notice them like I did in the Kowa. In the US often times you can get the E2 for $200 to $300 more than either the APM 6x30 or Orion ED 8x30 and I think it is well worth the difference at least here. If it 3x as expensive, then the decision does get harder. But that still is only $600 or $400 more for IMO a binocular with a much better view and much better build quality. We are all different though in how much an improved is worth it in price, though. The E2 has a much bigger sweet spot than the Kowa, APM or Orion and even though the edges soften you don't notice them as much.

Last edited:
You must have looked through a different Kowa BD II than I have. The one that I looked through was sharp to the edge. The 6.5x32 however has lots of field curvature.
BTW -- I doubt the Nikon E II has a "much better view and build quality" than the APM 6x30. The Nikon E II is not even waterproof, which is pretty much standard nowadays even for porros. And before buying the APM 6x30 I read a review on the juelich-bonn forum by Hans (I think he is a member here, too) who compared it favorably to the Habicht 7x42. I quote -- he said the optical differences are minimal. So that sounds rather different from "much better view". But granted -- if one is very picky about field curvature the APM 6x30 is probably not the right glass. One reason I'd be interested in the 8x30 version. Since I think the differences in field curvature between the two small Kowas are quite noticeable. I still bought the 6.5x because I wanted the smaller magnification.
BTW -- Made in China and Made in Japan is not that much of a difference when comparing similarly priced binos. Do you really believe "Made in Japan" means every part is made in Japan? "Made in Japan" is a very "soft" label.

Last edited:
No offense but I looked through them myself so I really don't care what any online reviews claim. But whatever....
The build quality of the APM 6x30 is excellent. Just FIY - I collect mainly porros and do work on them myself, doing alignments, taking them apart and cleaning lenses, etc. I can very well tell good quality from bad. So I'm not sure what the point of your post even is. That a bino 3 times or even 4 times as expensive is better? D'oh!
And like I said, "Made in Japan" is a rather soft label. It doesn't mean all that much. Just the same as with other labels like "Made in Germany" or "Swiss Made".
And again - you're comparing binos that are much more expensive to cheaper models. The factor here is not where they are made but the price.
I also handled the Fujinon FMT - I lost any interest after that as it's such a huge and unwieldy beast. Probably nice on a tripod for astronomy but useless for birding.

Last edited:
Okay, so it seems denco deleted one of his posts, probably because he realized that he claimed that the Kowa BD II 8x32 has "a very small sweet spot" and then quoted allbinos who said the sweet spot is 90%, which certainly isn't "very small". I guess I know someone who will soon end up on my ignore list :D.
I don't think I need to read posts by someone who claimed he owned basically every bino on the planet and then quotes allbinos who contradict his own post.

The problem is that the BD II is that likely made on a low to average budget for that asking price, and the optics in my experience is no different than others in the similar price range -(though with a large wide field) , (inconsistent optics, because I have seen some samples containing glass with different visual aberrations within each tube. I have also seen some better samples. I have the 6.5/8X32 and the 8X42. The question is did you get a good sample.
Henry Link did an extensive review on the 10X42 here on BF which provide some insight on the view.

I know this is an old thread, but the Orion 8x30 ED seems to be available on their website (they're marked as "In stock"). I would be great to know if other forum members have tried it (I've read Pinac's and Denco's opinion, but not much else).

What I find puzzling is the following: I remember reading Pinac's reviews of the prototypes of 8x30 and 6x30 APM ED new Porro. Over time, the 6x30 is listed in APM website and the 8x30 is listed in Orion website, but not the other way round. Pinac mentioned that "according to APM, this 8×30 will remain prototype and will not be introduced to the market", which turned out to be true, but Orion did introduce what seems basically the same model under other brand. Any idea what happened here? Did the 8x30 fail to fulfill APM's quality standard and Orion thought it was OK? Did the OEM reach an "exclusivity agreement" with Orion/APM so that each one would only sell a model, namely Orion 8x30 and APM 6x30? I'm really interested in the 8x30, but importing it from the US would probably make it way more expensive than its original price.
That’s exactly what happened APM (Markus) was not happy with the edge quality and would not sell these under his name. I was talking with Markus last week about this very thing. I had just received my APM 6x30 the day before and was congratulating him a job well done. I was very impressed with these little gems for $200, so sharp and bright and they are built very well , solid feel. I had asked him about the 8x30ED and he said they didn’t meet his standards and he doesn’t sell them.

I highly recommend these little 6x porros, these can’t be beat for the price point.
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back