• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orange feather found in field near Wolverhampton, England yesterday (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

This bright orange feather is so bright, I thought it must be off a child's toy-hat or something, but it is so intricate and downy part of me thinks this is from a bird, but I just cannot fathom what it might be from? Its about 4 inches in length.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Orange feather.jpg
    Orange feather.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Hello,

first gut feeling was. This colouration is found in an Egyptian Goose. But I cant find a match here: Nilgans (Alopochen aegyptiacus) - Vogelfedern auf featherbase.info

Edit: with this in mind, I am biased and think the colouration seems a bit too bright/plastic/orange? for many Egyptian Geese (which varies slightly)?
It could be an Egyptian Goose, they have been reported around here. Tho I have seen your amended view

Appreciate your thoughts

I reckon its Kingfisher colour but of course they don't have long individual feathers of that colour.

Last edited:
I thought people tied their flies at home, sat at a table with a little vice and all the fly-tying gear to hand. But, anyway, it's obviously a died feather - chicken, whatever.

Egyptian Geese aren't that bright orange. This is in fact a feather from a bird, but somebody has dyed it. That's where feathers for children's things come from. Generally it's easier to obtain feathers and dye them than to make realistic-looking fake feathers, it seems.

Last edited:
Definitely dyed, just look at the stem.

Exotic birds were killed worldwide and their feathers imported for a high price for fashion but in particular for Flytying, the fancy Salmon lure patterns saw some bird species endangered, ie. Jungle cock, and thankfully their import banned. Many of the species involved are now farmed in the UK although fly patterns have changed drastically in modern times; the once artfully tied almost exact imitations of shrimps, nymphs and flies of the past and the idea that Trout would only take exacting representations has long gone out of the window to be replaced with the modern uni bug patterns which work just as well if not better. I have had to change my original teachings that trout are clever fussy creatures and had to accept they are dumb carnivors that will attack just about anything if it is presented in a manner that induces them to chase.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back