• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optica Exotica - really good youtube channel for binocular reviews (2 Viewers)

This reviewer has recently been discussed at some length here on BF. Unfortunately a few members are not quite as keen on the content as perhaps you are. I will try to find the link, here it is for you.....https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=392007

By the way, how did you get on with choosing a pair of $500 8 × 42s?

Last edited:
This reviewer has recently been discussed at some length here on BF. Unfortunately a few members are not quite as keen on the content as perhaps you are. I will try to find the link, here it is for you.....https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=392007

By the way, how did you get on with choosing a pair of $500 8 × 42s?

Thank you for the link about the previous discussion on this reviewer.

I haven't bought it yet. Took a break from researching on binoculars due to other things that came up.

Now, I am back to it again wonder what are typical discounts and street prices for binoculars are. I'm not sure what is a reasonable discount to ask for.

I’m happy to have more optics content to pass the time and I’ve watched at least 10-15 of his videos, and enjoy them for the most part. My biggest gripes though:

1. He occasionally makes egregious technical errors, stating things that are just not true
2. He has this strangely frustrating habit of doing “shootouts” with different formats, eg his Monarch 5 vs Diamondback showdown is 8x42 vs 10x42! Such an obvious error when trying to help buyers decide between competitive models.
3. The digiscoping is interesting but it would be nice to see more rigorous side by side photos / videos split screen so it’s clearer to differentiate the pros/cons of each

That said, again, more content is good. I haven’t read the other thread but I’m sure there’s people hating on him for being so “non technical” as some do with BBR. I love technical stuff, but there is a place for more accessible “Everyman” reviews that put things in terms easier for the typical shopper to grasp. BUT he could do a better job of making his comparisons more meaningful and rigorous while maintaining the casual style.

2. He has this strangely frustrating habit of doing “shootouts” with different formats
. I love technical stuff, but there is a place for more accessible “Everyman” reviews that put things in terms easier for the typical shopper to grasp. BUT he could do a better job of making his comparisons more meaningful and rigorous while maintaining the casual style.

:t:

Not enough $$. I guess he got tired of not enough likes on his videos, therefore no incoming cash.
Yes, he pointed out a lot of times. It is a pity but a I don't understand... What a sick world! Not enough likes. Not enough money. Still, he made very good videos. Videos about Leica, Nikon and Swarovski were unique.

"quantity does not equal quality"

Attachments

• med_1436394586_image.jpg
    med_1436394586_image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
He should have a link to 'buy me coffee'..... that way we see that, as viewers. I don't mind supporting people who make quality video's like he does... jim

I really enjoyed his videos and a little perturbed he deleted his channel and videos. His subscribers and viewers got screwed. You Tube could care less.

Is it known that the creator did delete their account? Perhaps they got banned for some reason. Youtube makes all the decisions and they also have automated system for screening videos.

I wonder if he is planning on shifting platforms? It seemed to me he was having issues with You Tube a while back and at that time, he was thinking of moving to a new platform but I don't have the foggiest what that could be

Users who are viewing this thread

Back