• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Norfolk in May (1 Viewer)

peteh

Hi,

Im planning another holiday to North Norfolk in May (probably 17th to 21st) but am wondering is this too early to see Nightjar as this is our main reason for going.

Also would we have a chance of seeing Honey Buzzard or is this week too early for that as well?

Thanks very much
Pete.

Nightjar should be 'in' at the usual sites by then; hope for a still, warm evening for the best chance of a good performance. The dates you give should be spot on for the hopeful return of the Honeys too...

James

Thanks very much! :)

While I'm here, where would be the best place to get a good view of a Hobby ?
(I will be based around Blakeney hopefully)

Also I know noone can post the exact location of the montys but can anyone pm me the rough location (like 5 mile vicinty) just so I can work out what day I can plan going to that area into my holiday.

Cheers
Pete.

Last edited:
The honey buzzards usually arrive 15th-16th of May , but may be hard to find if the weather is poor. Hobby should not be a problem anywhere there is some freshwater wetland as we are not short of them in Norfolk. Wensun Valley Watchpoint in Gately is as good a place as any. As for the Monties if you can work out where they are so can an egg collector , but I doubt you will have much trouble finding them as its a bit of an open secret.

Thanks tideliner.

Ive got another question :) Where would be the best place to try and see Nightingale?
Ive seen mention of Salthouse heath is that the best place to try?

Cheers

Thanks tideliner.

Ive got another question :) Where would be the best place to try and see Nightingale?
Ive seen mention of Salthouse heath is that the best place to try?

Cheers

Yes
From the Dun Cow go up the hill inland. Over the first crossroads and left at the second one. Park on the left soon after.

Birds which sing and then stop often fly over the road!

Sorry got another question :)
Is there anywhere in North Norfolk where I could (practically) guarantee the other half a Green Woodpecker?
We tried holkham hall last year in september but it was as dead as a doornail.

Cheers

Could be some in the woods near Bircham, Houghton park. You can drive all the way round the outside of the park. Also plenty of deer of different breeds, if you fancy driving inland a bit. No guarantees though on the woodpeckers!

If they are down then it's localised as mid-Essex is still heaving with Green Woodpeckers. :t: Great Spotteds I see less where I go, don't spend much time in the part of the village outskirts where they tend to be found.

Woodpeckers

I live on the outskirts of Norwich (west) and have had Green and greater spotted, the later with young, on the feeders in my back garden. I work in the area as well and the wood next to my work place has been ringing with the drumming of greater spotteds too.

Cheers. I wont lose all hope then :)

While im here can anyone tell me if its possible to see Dartford and Savis Warbler in Norfolk in May?

Again I'm not wanting someone to post details of any sensitive sites I'm just looking to find out whether or not I should forget about these birds on my holiday or not.

Cheers

Sorry more questions :)

Ive got to chose one Honey Buzzard watchpoint so should I go to Great Ryburgh or Swanton Novers?

Thanks again.

Difficult one Pete, the birds could be showing well at either watchpoint. Don't restrict yourself just yet! Think Swanton Novers was the better (only?) of the 2 last year. Keep an eye on the Norfolk thread and check nearer the time of your visit.
Cheers,
Jim.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back