• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (4 Viewers)

Male white wagtail on Simmond's scrape, Cley, yesterday and barn owl seen to take 2 rodents. Little owl nearby at home also took some prey to an old oak this morning so pleased to see some nesting activity. May go tomorrow for the b.h.b.- no, can't be bothered, it's a likely escapee in my book. Probably head south.

Male white wagtail on Simmond's scrape, Cley, yesterday and barn owl seen to take 2 rodents. Little owl nearby at home also took some prey to an old oak this morning so pleased to see some nesting activity. May go tomorrow for the b.h.b.- no, can't be bothered, it's a likely escapee in my book. Probably head south.

Titchwell May 31st

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 3 on tidal pool early morning only
Bittern - booming male in reedbed
Eider - a good late record of 18 offshore

Paul

Having hardly seen any Grey Wagtail in Norfolk this year it was pleasing to see two pairs at different sites in West Norfolk this afternoon - with a Spotted Flycatcher chucked in for good measure.

A walk up Blakeney Point to The Hood was quiet migrant-wise, the highlight being a Hobby executing a lightning strike on a Little Tern: like a WW2 fighter it came out of the sun, snatched the tern and, after briefly alighting, carried off its unfortunate victim toward Blakeney church. Just as well the wardens have installed air raid shelters - half-buried pipes - in the tern colony for the chicks to hide under when marauding falcons appear!

A quite incredible experience last night as I stood outside my house in the dark, hoping for something to add to the patch list in the last offings of May. at 11.30, a loud 'Crex, Crex....Crex' came from above, the sound moving north towards the river. I uttered an expletive followed by 'Corncrake!'. Has anyone had experience of them calling in flight before? Although I have never seen this species, the footage I have seen is of birds calling from the ground.
Onto June then, and migration not done with just yet.

Cheers,
Jim.

I've just realised with some shock that's it's thirty years since I saw a Ross's Gull at Titchwell in May '84. Nancy's cafe emptied in 3 seconds on its rediscovery after leaving Cley. Great times.

Cheers

... and forty years since I saw the first-summer at Stanpit, Dorset in June '74
... back when it was only the tenth UK record..!

Last edited:
Kite or Buzzard

Hiya

This photo was taken this afternoon in West Norfolk, could someone please confirm if it is a Red Kite or the Common Buzzard

Look forward to your replies

Cheers

Attachments

• P1020067(3).JPG
    P1020067(3).JPG
    876.1 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
I've just realised with some shock that's it's thirty years since I saw a Ross's Gull at Titchwell in May '84. Nancy's cafe emptied in 3 seconds on its rediscovery after leaving Cley. Great times.

Cheers

May 84 - I just about remember sitting on the shingle bank throwing stones at a tin can for about 6 hours before the gull flew in and landed on north scrape late afternoon. I was 11 and it was mega when the bird eventually turned up! Never seen one since

I can't imagine waiting for that amount of time to see any bird these days, is that becuase of modern technology or a reduction in patience ?

May 84 - I just about remember sitting on the shingle bank throwing stones at a tin can for about 6 hours before the gull flew in and landed on north scrape late afternoon. I was 11 and it was mega when the bird eventually turned up! Never seen one since
/QUOTE]

Don't you still do that now... ;)

Titchwell June 2nd

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 4 (2 adults) around the reserve all day
Little gull - 1st summer on fresh marsh
Garganey - pair on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

/QUOTE]

Don't you still do that now... ;)

No, the shingle bank has gone! You need height to get a good vantage above the tin can!

I hope the speccy is still there in the morning, couldn't get there tonight, anyone whose seen it, does it favour a particular area? Want to go early in the morning

Walk west from the board walk, on the southern edge of the Gun Hill spit. The bird was 200 to 300 yards along, in a clump of bushes (Wild Privet, Rose and Bryony etc.) as you look north, up the bank. Just before I left, c. 4 pm, it flew a bit further west.
Best of luck tomorrow,

Thomas

Some near misses on my drive from Norwich to Burnham Overy this eve included a Little Owl and a Buzzard, which passed within a few feet of my car at windscreen height! A Spoonbill flew east as I headed towards the sea wall, with 4 flying west about 15 mins later. After a nervous 10 minute wait, the Speccy showed and sang a few times, providing my second Norfolk tick in 4 days (with a lifer sandwiched in between a bit further south!), while a Barn Owl livened up the walk back. The drive home produced a few more near misses with a Hare running out on the road in front of me and then a male Marsh Harrier, being harassed by a Lapwing, passed low over the road.

All in all, a fantastic evening, rounding off an excellent few days!

Red Kites moving today

Would be interested to hear from anyone who had Red Kites moving along the coast today. Had 7 SSW at Horsey between 9.00 and 10.00 but missed the BK probably because we were grilling the RB Shrike at the time!
Also 4 hobbies including 3 together over Nelson Head track but a visit to Hickling NWT failed to come up with the hoped-for Red-foot (but good views of Bittern, Hobby, Cuckoo and Bearded Tit).
Mick

Titchwell June 3rd

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - still 5 around the reserve
Barnacle goose - 3 west offshore this morning!
Eider - 18 offshore

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back