• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (3 Viewers)

Just for general info, the illegal use of guns can be reported to the Police non-emergency number, 101.

I've passed on the info about the Burgh Castle reasons for the petition to the RSPB Wildlife Crimes Unit.
MJB

Just to update everyone, I've had a reply from the RSPB, and it seems that the shooting syndicate have done quite a bit of homework, possibly via local solicitors. Here's the text (with one added emphasis & minor grammar and spelling changes):

"Hello Mike,
Thank you for your e-mail. Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding but I have been checking with our staff in that area.

We are aware of this case and do have some concerns about what is happening there. The Broads Authority are pursuing the building of an illegal structure that has been erected without the correct licences.

Natural England (NE), the government's conservation advisory agency, have
spent a lot of time into looking into the actual shooting activity as it is immediately adjacent to an Special Protection Area (SPA). They are taking this very seriously as it is the first time that this type of threat has been identified on the very edge of an SPA, so it has been escalated to Director level with them. Unfortunately it would seem that the syndicate have done their home work and NE can't actually find a way of preventing it through current habitat protection legislation; this is currently proving difficult.

Natural England is encouraging everyone locally to lobby their local MP to complain about the activity; this is what we would encourage anyone concerned about this to do.

Best wishes
Richard James"

Passive resistance on-site, anyone?
MJB

Titchwell April 4th

Today's highlights

Sadly the change in wind directions hasn't improved weather conditions much. Still horribly grey again today

Spoonbill - 1st record of the year of a bird in flight over the saltmarsh
Little gull - 1st year still on fresh marsh
Yellow wagtail - male on fresh marsh this morning
Wheatear - 1 on beach
Velvet scoter - 11 offshore
Bittern - 1 in flight from Fen Hide

Paul

1st Summer Med Gull at Titchwell today. 2 Corn Buntings at Choseley Barns.

I have also been informed of 2 Ring Ouzel at Snettisham CP late afternoon.

Its only a 6 weeks until the Norfolk Bird Fair taking place at Mannington Hall and the organising for the event is finally taking shape with an impressive variety of exhibitors covering a range of birding products from books to travel and many more. The lecture programme nearly complete, tickets are on sale in advance through the website www.norfolkbirdfair.com where profits will be going to wildlife charities. We look forward to birders supporting the event and having a great weekend

Last edited:
Red Kite

Have seen a Red Kite this morning hovering fairly near to our house in Fincham Norfolk, do you think this is a stray or are they starting to breed in the county.

Great to see it

Regards

Last edited:
Does anyone know who had the Black Redstart at Cley today? Came up on RBA as a Black Redstart but reported in Cley VC as a female Redstart, both in the sightings book and on the white board. Just be nice to know what it was.

Swallow at Cley NWT this evening, along with a few Sandwich Terns going past. Also 2 Little-ringed Plovers from Dauke's Hide.

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Hi Ridgeback

According to the last Norfolk Bird and Mammal Report (2012) there were half a dozen or so pairs reported breeding in the county. Wouldn't surprise me if there are more now. As well as the breeding population we do also get wandering birds. In 2012 there was a wing-tagged bird hanging around where I live near Fakenham. I managed to read the tag and the bird had fledged from a nest in Northants the year before but had returned to Northants in 2013!

Last edited:
It looks like the Baikal Teal may have left Cambridgeshire. If it carried on in the same direction it appeared to be travelling, the first hope of relocation in Norfolk might be Welney, but anywhere that attracts Wigeon & Teal in Norfolk could be worth a look. A couple of such sites on the North Coast were checked today, but it may sneak through any day (if it hasn't already ). I recall the famous Falcated Duck departing via Cley one spring. I'll be out again tomorrow ... in the rain ... hoping!

Half a dozen Swallows were feeding in front of tower hide at Strumpshaw yesterday afternoon. Also my first booming Bittern of the year and super views of a Nuthatch perched on a branch in the woods and calling extremely loudly.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back