• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Non-Birding in Trinidad (2 Viewers)

hollis_f

Hi All,

I'm thinking about next year's holiday and I'm quite tempted by a week at the Asa Wright centre. But, after that, we'd want a few days lazing on the beach somewhere. Does anybody have any recommended locations? Pleasant surroundings and security are more important than price.

Hi All,

I'm thinking about next year's holiday and I'm quite tempted by a week at the Asa Wright centre. But, after that, we'd want a few days lazing on the beach somewhere. Does anybody have any recommended locations? Pleasant surroundings and security are more important than price.

I would consider two options:

1) Spend the 2nd week on Tobago. The Asa Wright Centre will organize transport from the AWC to the airport & the inter-island shuttle is cheap & takes only 20-30 mins in the air. It may in fact be easier to fly to Tobago & then to Trinidad for the AWC returning to Tobago for the 2nd week (there are more UK flights to Tobago than to Port of Spain). Tobago has a few specialities not seen on Trinidad & you can do a daytrip to Little Tobago

2) Spend the 2nd week at Grande Riviere on the north-east of Trinidad. This area is stunningly beautiful, idyllic & there should not be any personal safety issues. There are a few hotels there eg: http://www.mtplaisir.com/
The area around Grande Riviere has great birding with little effort needed.
Grande Riviere is also one of the most important nesting areas for Leatherback Turtle in the world!

I have some info on T&T on my Pbase galleries here: http://www.pbase.com/rainbirder/trinidad and here: http://www.pbase.com/rainbirder/tobago

Cheers,

Steve

I think most people hop across to Tobago for R&R after birding in Trinidad (I know I did). There is some birding to be done there too, but I think the beaches and hotels are nicer (in a Euro-holiday sort of way) and pretty secure too. I stayed at Speyside but I heard good reports of Arnos Vale and a couple of others whose names escape me for the mo.

We booked our trip through Wildwings travel agency who did a very good job for us.

Nick

I agree with Grande Riviere, we stayed at the Acajou, stunning, and the security guards come and get you when a turtle comes out to lay it's eggs!

If you do go to Grande Riviere, ask for Nick to guide you on an easy morning walk into the woods - he really knows his birds.

On the other hand, Tobago was good too, the south end near the airport was a bit too touristy for us, we stayed at Cuffie River (lovely but a bit cut off) and Speyside.

Have you tried to book ASA Wright yet? It gets booked up very early!

Jon

Thanks for the advice. Originally we were planning on Tobago, but the FCO website has put us off. There are also a lot of negative reports on TripAdvisor about several places.

We were almost put off by the FCO advice as well but ended up going to Tobago & had no regrets. It would be prudent to avoid a self-catering villa or visiting remote beaches alone but otherwise the larger/better hotels all have reasonable security. Choosing a reasonable hotel & taking a wee bit of care when out & about whilst on Tobago will equate to the same risks to be found being based at Asa Wright. Trinidad is, in general a more lawless place ranking only second to Jamaica in terms of personal risk. Tobago is still much safer BUT tourist attacks there are much more noteworthy as until 10 years ago such attacks were unknown!

I hired a vehicle & visited some sites such as Grafton in the early mornings by myself -complete with expensive photographic equipment (OK, I'm probably not a prime mugging target being a 6ft 3, 18 stone Scotsman with a face that would curdle milk!!) & had no problems.

We stayed at Arnos Vale which has its own security, great birding in the gardens and its own coral reef/sandy beach. Arnos Vale was once a top destination though has clearly seen better days (it was a previous haunt of The Beatles & Princess Margaret). We used local taxis to eat out some nights & never had any fears or concerns re personal safety (there were five of us -myself, my wife, two kids then aged 9 & 13 and my 70 year old mother-in-law -don't ask!!!).

Arnos Vale probably rates between 3 & 4 star though the beach suites are better than standard rooms. The security gates are closed down after 11pm so it's best if you get back before then but I had no problems getting out early in the morning ( just beyond the access road held Jacamars & Red-legged Honeycreepers amongst others).
I organised birding trips with Newton George & Darren Henry -both great guys who delivered the goods.

Grande Riviere is without a doubt a great venue but don't be too hasty in excluding Tobago!

Thanks for the advice. Originally we were planning on Tobago, but the FCO website has put us off. There are also a lot of negative reports on TripAdvisor about several places.

That came as a surprise to me, when I visited, Tobago was seen as the less dangerous of the two islands.

Niels

Damn! Just about to book when Didi realised that the dates conflicted with the only week in the whole year where she absolutely had to be at work! Oh well, looks like it may have to wait until 2011. Thanks for all the advice - it'll be useful next year (when I'll try and start planning earlier).

Hi Frank,

I flew to Tobago in mid-August and took a seperate four-day package to Asa Wright which was excellent. It really is easy to hop between the two Islands and AWC will handle the transfers.

You are right to be concerned about Tobago as we were robbed on our first night whilst sleeping in our room at Turtle Beach. I would avoid this hotel at all costs although in general Tobago is probably safer than Tinidad. Although it's an hour or more drive from the airport at Crown Point, I would recommend staying at Blue waters Inn at Speyside and booking a couple of days out with Newton George. Newton will find you the species available on Tobago.

Regards
Robin

I would consider two options:

1) Spend the 2nd week on Tobago. The Asa Wright Centre will organize transport from the AWC to the airport & the inter-island shuttle is cheap & takes only 20-30 mins in the air. It may in fact be easier to fly to Tobago & then to Trinidad for the AWC returning to Tobago for the 2nd week (there are more UK flights to Tobago than to Port of Spain). Tobago has a few specialities not seen on Trinidad & you can do a daytrip to Little Tobago

2) Spend the 2nd week at Grande Riviere on the north-east of Trinidad. This area is stunningly beautiful, idyllic & there should not be any personal safety issues. There are a few hotels there eg: http://www.mtplaisir.com/
The area around Grande Riviere has great birding with little effort needed.
Grande Riviere is also one of the most important nesting areas for Leatherback Turtle in the world!

I have some info on T&T on my Pbase galleries here: http://www.pbase.com/rainbirder/trinidad and here: http://www.pbase.com/rainbirder/tobago

Cheers,

Steve
Agree with first option.

Trinidad is getting increasingly dangerous and unless you are very sure of security at a remote location, you are taking a chance. This also holds true in visiting various birding locations on your own. In particular, Cacandee (wetlands), Caroni Swamp trails, Brickfield, Wallerfield, Mount St. Benedict (Mt. Tabor) should not be visited alone if possible.

Trinidad is excellent for birding, but you have to be very careful since there are many criminal elements just looking for the opportunity to cause mischief.

Tobago has had some gruesome reports of attacks on tourists or ex-patriots within the last two years, but generally still much safer. For a lazy safe beach, Pigeon Point can't be beat and there are many accomodation options within 5 mins.

Englishman's Bay and Castara Bay are lovely beaches also in Tobago, but there is no security and in recent times, Castara has become known for marijuana and crime. So best to go with a group or do a bit of research before booking any accomodation in these areas.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back