• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctuid, Farnborough Hampshire. (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

Hi all,

I'm frankly baffled by this. It looks like a Common Rustic to me, right size and pattern, but a month early in a year when everything seems to be late....

Opinions and arguments very much welcomed.

Cheers

John

Attachments

• 7T8A9190.JPG
    7T8A9190.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 16
I don't think it's so much incompetence, more the fact that identification of moths leads us down a route of

Macro? Yes
Swift? No
Geometrid? No
Hawkmoth? No
Noctuid? Yes

Ok, well it's one of about 400 species, and I can't help you any further. Here's 30 pages of illustrations to wade thru.

And, oh, I nearly forgot. We'll cut off your supply 2 months either side of Christmas, so you forget everything!!

I don't think it's so much incompetence, more the fact that identification of moths leads us down a route of

Macro? Yes
Swift? No
Geometrid? No
Hawkmoth? No
Noctuid? Yes

Ok, well it's one of about 400 species, and I can't help you any further. Here's 30 pages of illustrations to wade thru.

And, oh, I nearly forgot. We'll cut off your supply 2 months either side of Christmas, so you forget everything!!
I find that some moths I can remember no matter what and others I can't, however hard I try: and that there are some that your eye skates over in the field guide despite repeated acquaintance. That's what I think happened here! ;)

Cheers

John

I find that some moths I can remember no matter what and others I can't, however hard I try: and that there are some that your eye skates over in the field guide despite repeated acquaintance. That's what I think happened here! ;)

Cheers

John
I know. I must have seen over 100 Flounced Rustics, and I still don't know what is Flounced about it, or what is Rustic!

Cheers

John
Ah!…we all move in such esteemed company.🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back