• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5100 (1 Viewer)

Shutter speed 1/500sec or higher to 'freeze" and 3-4 exposure/sec bursts. Probably need ISO800 or more. If you can't get shutter speeds above 1/250sec then long 5-6 exposure/sec bursts are your best option. Not sure if the P5100 can go this fast unless you can scale back resolution by half. You will need to sort thru lots of pics though to get a sharp one.

cheers,
Rick

Joan, the A590IS is good value and will cetainly do the job, be patient with the poor lcd screen. AS for a screen cover all you need is a bit of stiff card, cut to shape, of the right thickness so when it is bent ti fit over the screen it will slide into the gap between the camera body and the reversed lcd screen. The benefits are that it costs nothing and will do the job, no need to spend money on some thing like Rick's contraption. As for an an adapter, you have to decide do you want to look through the scope as well as take photos, in which event you will need a swing away adapter on which the camera can be fixed or one that can be put in place and removed quickly. It will depend on what scope you have, I do not recall this being mentioned. The SRB mk11 swing away is excellent but may not neccessarily be the thing for you, however have a look at the opitcron adapter that can be fitted to the eyepiece and removed with little effort but for that you will need the appropriate Canon LA... adapter for the 590.

Robert
Robert

You refer to the reversed LCD screen on the 590is. I have the 590 but it doesnt have a reversable screen are we all talking about the same camera.

Bob

I was lucky enough to get a P5100 as a gift. Here's my first stumbling attempts (c/w ATS80HD/DCA)

Attachments

• 20081227SGFEMSHOVELLER.jpg
    20081227SGFEMSHOVELLER.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 20081227SGSHOVELLER.jpg
    20081227SGSHOVELLER.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 20081227SGTEAL.jpg
    20081227SGTEAL.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 20081228SGBLUETIT.jpg
    20081228SGBLUETIT.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 169
The very first 'scoped photos I took with it were these crepuscular shots of long-tailed tits, before I'd read this thread and got the settings sorted. Taken in the last possible light at Southport Crematorium. The other shot here was just now, a hasty record shot of a Goldcrest, a scarce visitor to my back-garden! It's all wrong, but at least it's an ID! Generally, the quality of the original pics I'm getting now that I've set it up "properly", of which smaller versions are shown in the post above, I find very pleasing for a beginner with this camera; they're as good as the best shots I ever achieved with my old set up (CP990 / 4500)

Attachments

• 20081226SGLONGTAILEDTITS1.jpg
    20081226SGLONGTAILEDTITS1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 20081226SGLONGTAILEDTITS2.jpg
    20081226SGLONGTAILEDTITS2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20081228SGGOLDCRESTINGARDEN.jpg
    20081228SGGOLDCRESTINGARDEN.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 75
Is it feasible that, when the temperature drops to around zero celsius, the camera can give "Battery Expired" warning messages even with fully charged batteries? It's the only explanation I can think of for this morning's experience with three batteries!

I've been following this with interest and bought a P5100 last autumn. My problem is getting it connected to my Kowa TSN-1 (ancient, I know, but not quite as much as I am!). On advice from this site I contacted SRB- Griturn who told me that they could make up a connector for me. I sent them measurements, scale drawings etc and they promised me something in about 6 weeks. I ordered this in early october and asked if they could expedite it for a norfolk trip. I then had an email saying they'd lost the details so I re-sent them and rang a month later when they confirmed that they were processing my order. Nothing since!! Can anyone suggest an alternate supplier or any other way of doing this. I have taken hand held pics with variable quality (some OK!).

Will the Kowa TSN-DA1 fit on the old TSN scopes? If it will that's the way to go. The 5100 lens adapter tube URE-20 with a 28mm thread will attach to the TN-DA1 via a 28mm step down ring that you can buy with the TSN-DA1. Ace Optics in Bath sell this kit in the UK and can advise on it.

Dave, thanks. I'm not sure whether it would fit, and reluctant to commit to it without being sure. The conversation I had with SRB-G made me feel it was a very unusual size - ?

Will the Kowa TSN-DA1 fit on the old TSN scopes? If it will that's the way to go. The 5100 lens adapter tube URE-20 with a 28mm thread will attach to the TN-DA1 via a 28mm step down ring that you can buy with the TSN-DA1. Ace Optics in Bath sell this kit in the UK and can advise on it.

This is exactly the way I attach my P5100 to my Kowa scope.
It works perfectly.

Beg pardon I was under the impression that the A570 & A590 had reversible lcd's just like the earlier A series. Still does not explain why canon puts such an awful lcd screen on these cameras.

Is it feasible that, when the temperature drops to around zero celsius, the camera can give "Battery Expired" warning messages even with fully charged batteries? It's the only explanation I can think of for this morning's experience with three batteries!

My experience recently on a very cold day was that a battery which normally last me a whole day only lasted a couple of hours. I understand that batteries loose their power very quickly in cold weather. So likely the warning was correct. Or did the camera continue to operate despite the warning?

My experience recently on a very cold day was that a battery which normally last me a whole day only lasted a couple of hours. I understand that batteries loose their power very quickly in cold weather. So likely the warning was correct. Or did the camera continue to operate despite the warning?

Thanks for getting back to me. No, it didn't. It hasn't happened again, though, and I've used it a lot during the cold period. I've not done anything to verify the observation but have a distinct impression that battery life is considerably reduced when it's around or below zero Celsius, so I've ordered another half-dozen batteries.

Hi to everyone on this huge P5100 thread.

This is my first ever post on ANY forum (!) and I just want to say a BIG thankyou to you all as a new owner of a Nikon P5100.
I have been "lurking" on all the digiscoping forums for a while now absorbing as much information as I could and finally bought my camera for £195 from Amazon before Christmas. (I only mention the price because since New Year the price on Amazon went up to £303 and today has dropped to £265. Why is that ? )
I have digiscoped before with an old 2nd hand Coolpix 950 but found the results often poor. The camera was power hungry and heavy with its 4 AA batteries and I was getting the focusing all wrong. Being a spectacles wearer didn't help either.
Anyway THIS camera is a little gem. Whole different ball-game now. I'm still learning and have a long way to go as I am a birder learning photography not the other way round.
I use a Swaro ATS 80 HD with 20-60 zoom. On the camera I have the UR-20 and a DCA apaptor.
I also changed the tripod head before Christmas and its made a HUGE difference.
I did have a Velbon PH-157Q head screwed to a plate on top of a Velbon Carbon 630 tripod but it was far too 'wiggly' and came loose and was never fully stable. To be honest it was rubbish. I changed to a Manfrotto 128RC and its SO much better I wish I'd done it ages ago.
As for the pictures, I will post some when I learn how to do it. I got some good ones (for me !) of the Glaucous-winged Gull at Teeside. A big static bird on a frozen lake in good light yet the pictures still ranged from terrible to good.
Anyway thanks again to you all (especially Neil in Hong Kong).
If anyone DOES read this then I am proof that ALL of your posts are important and valid and are read even if they are not replied to. The helpful advice and comments on here are a credit to you all.

Cheers,
Martin

Cold Batteries are indeed nearly non-functional. To combat this keep them close to your body in cold weather. I find that taking the battery out of the cam and warming it in my hand can partially restore it too.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back