• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5100 (2 Viewers)

_____
Very, very nice and sharp photo, Neil. But don't you think that 12.1 MP and the Swaro optical quality is the difference? BTW, we used to call the bird "bully-bully", or more correctly, bul-bul.

Ex HK'er.

Good quality glass does make a difference but distance and quality of light make a bigger difference. I don't have good light in Hong Kong most of the time so I try to get close. A lot of my digiscoping is done between 7 - 15 metres. In Florida and Australia where light quality can be very good you can get good results up to 50 metres with a good scope, but this would stretch an average scope.
Neil.

I had a chance to test out the P5100 at distance over land yesterday when this Black Kite was very cooperative at a distance of about 150 metres. Neil
____________-

I am stunned by the optical quality of your setup from such a far distance. In using the 5100 for other than digiscoping, do you find an average shutter lag in this camera or is it faster than other cameras? I have read reviews which comment on the camera's shutter lag and slow AF, but that does not seem to be the case of the latter according to your experience.

____________-

I am stunned by the optical quality of your setup from such a far distance. In using the 5100 for other than digiscoping, do you find an average shutter lag in this camera or is it faster than other cameras? I have read reviews which comment on the camera's shutter lag and slow AF, but that does not seem to be the case of the latter according to your experience.

I don't find the AF to be a problem at all with the P5100. It's similar to my Nikon 8400 and the Canons, not as fast as the Fujis or Sony's but returns many more "keepers" than I get with either of those two. The slow frame rate is annoying sometimes but I've got used to it. The Canon A640 gives very good results at distance too but due to the poor resolution screen it's harder to get focus with in the first place. Neil.

Martin,
Nice results over distance. I've found this camera to be reliable over distance and the AF is more reliable than most. The screen is bright enough too to establish focus.
I hope you don't mind but I had a play with the Wood Sandpiper image as it looked nice against the light.
Neil[/QUOTE]

Hi Neil

been off line just lately so haven't had chance to view or post, your adjustments have improved my wood sandpiper shot, what did you do?

Hi Neil

been off line just lately so haven't had chance to view or post, your adjustments have improved my wood sandpiper shot, what did you do?[/QUOTE]

Martin,
I didn't do much. Just used Shadows and Highlights (CS2) to boost the light on the bird a little and to bring down the highlights a little . You can do the same thing using Curves .Then ran Unsharp Mask over it ( 300/0.2/0 ).
Neil.

Just a few recent attempts (p5100 / Swaro 80hd)

Been out and about practicing - although weather is still not right (is it ever).

I am quite please with the recent efforts in particular with the dipper - it was in very dull conditions in shadow as the dippers were nest building. (about 20 yards away)
The Hare is another pleasing shot again in dull conditions, but camera adjusts well on A setting (about 80 yards away)
Avocet has nested right opposite a hide about 35 yards away - ideal.
Sedge Warbler was singing wonderfully about 25 yards away
And Wheatear is about 30 yards away - not quite in focus.

Attachments

• Avocet3web.jpg
    Avocet3web.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 194
  • Brown-Hareweb.jpg
    Brown-Hareweb.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 183
  • Dipper2-originalweb.jpg
    Dipper2-originalweb.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 235
  • Sedge-Warbler-1web.jpg
    Sedge-Warbler-1web.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 235
  • Wheatear2web.jpg
    Wheatear2web.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 238
Been out and about practicing - although weather is still not right (is it ever).

I am quite please with the recent efforts in particular with the dipper - it was in very dull conditions in shadow as the dippers were nest building. (about 20 yards away)
The Hare is another pleasing shot again in dull conditions, but camera adjusts well on A setting (about 80 yards away)
Avocet has nested right opposite a hide about 35 yards away - ideal.
Sedge Warbler was singing wonderfully about 25 yards away
And Wheatear is about 30 yards away - not quite in focus.

Nice ones Colin. You should be able to get some good images of young avocets any time soon. Neil.

Hope the image attachment works, here's my best shot to date, a singing Sedge Warbler at one of my 'locals', taken through my Kowa TSN-3, and universal digiscoping adapter, auto focus and exposure compensation of 0.7 (although subsequently lightened a tad on photoshopped and cropped.)

Attachments

• DSCN0548-just-cropped-bf-si.jpg
    DSCN0548-just-cropped-bf-si.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 210
I think I am about to buy a Nikon P5100. Before I invest, can anybody tell me if there is a better digiscoping camera out there? I am a little concerned about slow write speeds as much discussed on this forum. I'm thinking about buying a 4GB SDHC card. Is this the best choice. Can anybody who has used the P5100 recommend a card that is fast?

My current setup is Sony DSC70 (7.2 Megapixels) + Kowa TSN 883 with 20-60 zoom.

Thanks.

I think I am about to buy a Nikon P5100. Before I invest, can anybody tell me if there is a better digiscoping camera out there? I am a little concerned about slow write speeds as much discussed on this forum. I'm thinking about buying a 4GB SDHC card. Is this the best choice. Can anybody who has used the P5100 recommend a card that is fast?

My current setup is Sony DSC70 (7.2 Megapixels) + Kowa TSN 883 with 20-60 zoom.

Thanks.

You'll find the P5100 will work well with the Kowa zoom. It's write speeds are not slow compared to competitors but it's Frame Rate is slower ( 0.8 fps v Canon A650 1.2 fps ) I don't find this as much of a problem as I originally thought as the Auto Focus is very reliable. Neil.

Thanks Neil.

The P5100 it will be, then - unless you know of a better camera for the Kowa 883. Can you suggest a fast memory card. Sandisk seem to be the most widely available here. I hope to buy the full bundle (camera, adapters and card) from one supplier to save postage.

Thanks again for all of your help and advice to this thread. It is much appreciated by me and I am sure by many others.
Brendan

Thanks Neil.

The P5100 it will be, then - unless you know of a better camera for the Kowa 883. Can you suggest a fast memory card. Sandisk seem to be the most widely available here. I hope to buy the full bundle (camera, adapters and card) from one supplier to save postage.

Thanks again for all of your help and advice to this thread. It is much appreciated by me and I am sure by many others.
Brendan

Hi Brendan,

You won't regret it. Ive got the P5100 for use with my Kowa 824 ... when can get it off my wife! she loves it:smoke::-O

Summary - Please

There's loads to read on this thread - all good. However, would it be possible for someone to summarise the optimum settings for the P5100.

I'm not a photographer, and I'm really struggling to progress beyond automatic - mental block. It's not so much the settings such as spot or centre-weighted etc.

It's more - set it to A on the dial - right done that. What do I need to do now that prevents me from just clicking. The same for P etc. I can't grasp it from the manual.

Please someone talk me through how they take a shot of a bird at a middle range in average (bright but cloudy) conditions.

Thanks.

There's loads to read on this thread - all good. However, would it be possible for someone to summarise the optimum settings for the P5100.

I'm not a photographer, and I'm really struggling to progress beyond automatic - mental block. It's not so much the settings such as spot or centre-weighted etc.

It's more - set it to A on the dial - right done that. What do I need to do now that prevents me from just clicking. The same for P etc. I can't grasp it from the manual.

Please someone talk me through how they take a shot of a bird at a middle range in average (bright but cloudy) conditions.

Thanks.

First, practice on tame subjects, like ducks on your local pond or pigeons in the town square. I always like to get on the bird with scope first and get focus right. The P5100 will do a good job of getting a grab photo with whatever settings you have but I like -
Aperture Priority
Macro Mode ( I shoot mostly in the Green Zone 10.3 mm )
Continuous Mode
Spot Focus and Spot Exposure (linked )
Dial in - 0 .7 stops to handle any whites on the bird.
iso 100
Flash Off
Go out and shoot 1000 frames the first chance you get and show us what you get.
Good luck, Neil.

recently took the P5100 to the World Series of Birding in Cape May New jersey.
It was a rainy day and the camera held up relatively well but about half way through the day it got too wet and wouldn't turn on anymore.
this was extremely frustrating but at least i had the forethought to bring my spare P5000 along and was able to keep shooting.
eventually the P5100 dried off enough and turned on again, no problems, thankfully.

First, practice on tame subjects, like ducks on your local pond or pigeons in the town square. I always like to get on the bird with scope first and get focus right. The P5100 will do a good job of getting a grab photo with whatever settings you have but I like -
Aperture Priority
Macro Mode ( I shoot mostly in the Green Zone 10.3 mm )
Continuous Mode
Spot Focus and Spot Exposure (linked )
Dial in - 0 .7 stops to handle any whites on the bird.
iso 100
Flash Off
Go out and shoot 1000 frames the first chance you get and show us what you get.
Good luck, Neil.

Cheers Neil.

I bought this camera a month ago. Since, it is spoken very highly of in the forum I must apologize ahead of time. I am sorry if my assessment may sound controversial.
I am so far very disappointed and is having feelings of regret. I have returned it 3 times for exchange because of excessive noise. Please don't be dissuaded or discouraged from buying or testing the P5100.

Pros:
-With conditions excellent, it produces good enough images
-Colour rendition is good.
-Size and weight
-Ease of use with dial and button layout

Cons:
-Very slow AF
-Very.... very.... very slow writing speed at 12m resolution
-Excessive motor noise with camera set on full-time AF and M,A,S,P
-Indoor shots are very noisy
-Indoor shots, if flash is not used camera over-compensates which results in over or under exposures. Requires too much setting up.
-Iso's above 100 is quite noisy, even in decent lighting although it is rated to 3200
-Ease of aquiring fairly decent shots depend too much on good conditions, requires too much shoot and resetting

Update from previous post. Good news, despite a smiling, hostile salesperson, I have exchanged again for noise and noisy pics. The camera this time seems to be a good one. Although it is also gurgling (internal noise), it is not loud and annoying. The overall performance is very good. The noise in picture is much better up to iso400 then increases drastically at iso800 and above, with 64 and 100 being clean. Over and under exposures on all settings are better controlled. I don't know the technical workings of the camera and believe me it's not my imagination but this p5100 is a great improvement. Maybe, I finally found one that is closer to the center of the bell curve.

Perseverance is the key to happiness.

Update from previous post. Good news, despite a smiling, hostile salesperson, I have exchanged again for noise and noisy pics. The camera this time seems to be a good one. Although it is also gurgling (internal noise), it is not loud and annoying. The overall performance is very good. The noise in picture is much better up to iso400 then increases drastically at iso800 and above, with 64 and 100 being clean. Over and under exposures on all settings are better controlled. I don't know the technical workings of the camera and believe me it's not my imagination but this p5100 is a great improvement. Maybe, I finally found one that is closer to the center of the bell curve.

Perseverance is the key to happiness.

Success at last. I'm glad to hear that your problem is solved. Now good photos will flow. Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back