• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5100 (2 Viewers)

Avocets

Just got these pics of Avocets - new breeders near where I live.
1 pic is overexposed due to bright difficult sunlight on white - about 80 metres away.
The 2nd pic is about 70 metres away

Still finding the focussing a bit hit and miss.

Attachments

• avocetaweb.jpg
    avocetaweb.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Avocet3web.jpg
    Avocet3web.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 171
Colinsev

Not bad for such long distance shots.
The second photo looks like it was taken at quite a slow shutter speed, if so, that is why the shot is a little blurry, the bird moved.
So would be interested to know the shutter speed please.

Mike

Looks like the scope focus was a bit out, the bars of the feeder are more in focus.
As you say, you are getting there.

Malc

Last edited:
Glimmer

I am pretty sure you cant use the zoom with the FSB6, Perhaps someone can confirm this.

I use the 50xDS for viewing only as well, I prefer it to the zoom, but unless you have a red dot finder or similar, you may have a problem finding the bird in the scope, same can be said when digiscoping with the 50xDS.

Malc

Seeing this graphic from Nikon, Filedscope ED82 is not compatible with zoom DS eyepiece. There is no attachment from nikon to digiscope with this eyepiece and ED82 (seems to ba an eyepiece only for RAIII series)

http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/dsystem/diagram/index.htm

On the other side, FOV is 24 m for 50xDS and 33 m for 20-60xDS and 28 m for 25-75x MC. So 25-75x (ideal for viewing) does not offer a good FOV at 25x, so find a bird is just as difficult as 50xDS...

Last edited:
Though I thought I knew something about cameras, digiscoping is foreign territory..

I have the
Nikon P5100 plus Swarovski ATS80HD scope and Sw zoom 20 -60x and DCA adapter

I have read most of this P5100 thread and tried to glean appropriate settings, but I have focus issues with my setup. Most often the camera gives 3 short beeps as an error warning when I press the shutter. I've tried most every focus setting/combination. Occasionally it will take a picture but its way soft.

I'm beginning to question the basics:
-The DCA adapter, for instance, came with no instructions. Do you place it all the way down with the eyepiece in its extended position, or in the 'down' position?
-and that 20-60x eyepiece, I've read that it isn't the best for digiscoping, yet at least one post had nice pictures supposedly taken with the same rig I have..

I do find that I have to zoom most of the way to get rid of vignetting even at the 20x position.

Its a bright sunny day, -it shouldn't get any easier than this.

Your kind assistance is so appreciated, I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple?

With the zoom the P5100 lens has to be zoomed out (tele end) to eliminate vignetting. This means that you can't use the Macro Mode so switch it off and try AF or Infinity Focus. AF should work ok in reasonable light (sunny) up to about 80% zoom but then you should go to Infinity Focus.
Let us know how you go, Neil.

Just got these pics of Avocets - new breeders near where I live.
1 pic is overexposed due to bright difficult sunlight on white - about 80 metres away.
The 2nd pic is about 70 metres away

Still finding the focussing a bit hit and miss.

This is a long way for white birds over water where you will get some shimmer which affects AF. Worth while trying some Manual Focusing (Infinity ) over water. Neil.

Now that might just work, have emailed to see if it fits and will work with the bits I have, along with the adapter I ordered for my opticron from them.

Fingers crossed

Cheers for your help

With the zoom the P5100 lens has to be zoomed out (tele end) to eliminate vignetting. This means that you can't use the Macro Mode so switch it off and try AF or Infinity Focus. AF should work ok in reasonable light (sunny) up to about 80% zoom but then you should go to Infinity Focus.
Let us know how you go, Neil.
Neil and others, thanks for your support and encouragement.

Does the 20-60x Swarovski zoom create an unnecessary challenge to matching up the P5100? Would I be better advised to use a fixed eyepiece such as the 30x?

Meanwhile I'll continue to experiment.

Bruce

Neil and others, thanks for your support and encouragement.

Does the 20-60x Swarovski zoom create an unnecessary challenge to matching up the P5100? Would I be better advised to use a fixed eyepiece such as the 30x?

Meanwhile I'll continue to experiment.

Bruce

The 20-60x zoom works fine with the P5100, but the best Swaro eyepiece, in my opinion, is their fixed 20x. Very sharp and bright, and it also just about gives no vignetting if you set it up correctly. However you can't use the DCA with the 20x. Instead I've got one of the SRB swing-out adapters.

Cheers

Steve

The 20-60x zoom works fine with the P5100, but the best Swaro eyepiece, in my opinion, is their fixed 20x. Very sharp and bright, and it also just about gives no vignetting if you set it up correctly. However you can't use the DCA with the 20x. Instead I've got one of the SRB swing-out adapters.

Cheers

Steve

Steve,
That's good news about the 20x as I've just been given one by a good mate and haven't had a chance to try it yet. Neil

Steve,
That's good news about the 20x as I've just been given one by a good mate and haven't had a chance to try it yet. Neil

I think you'll see an improvement in sharpness over the Swaro zoom straight away. It's by far and away their best eyepiece for digiscoping.

When you're using it with the P5100, the lens needs to be really close to the eyepiece for best results - about 1mm.

Have fun!

I think you'll see an improvement in sharpness over the Swaro zoom straight away. It's by far and away their best eyepiece for digiscoping.

When you're using it with the P5100, the lens needs to be really close to the eyepiece for best results - about 1mm.

Have fun!
Hi Steve, that is interesting, especially the positioning you recommend with the P5100 and 20X eyepiece. How is that accomplished?
It also makes me wonder if I made a mistake assuming the DCA would place the P5100 at the optimimum distance from the 20-60x zoom. Neil, I believe you are one who has had success with the Swaro zoom, and you are doing it with the DCA?

Thanks, I hope I am not trying everyone's patience! One day I hope to be able to contribute as well.

Best

Bruce

Have had a Cooper's Hawk visit our feeding area, looking for prey. Stays for 5 seconds max, will be an elusive target.

"It also makes me wonder if I made a mistake assuming the DCA would place the P5100 at the optimimum distance from the 20-60x zoom. Neil, I believe you are one who has had success with the Swaro zoom, and you are doing it with the DCA?"

I'm using the DCA with the P5100 but have to zoom well beyond the Macro Zone (green) to eliminate vignetting. I'll try and test it with a universal adapter tomorrow and with the 20x and report back.
Neil.

"It also makes me wonder if I made a mistake assuming the DCA would place the P5100 at the optimimum distance from the 20-60x zoom. Neil, I believe you are one who has had success with the Swaro zoom, and you are doing it with the DCA?"

I'm using the DCA with the P5100 but have to zoom well beyond the Macro Zone (green) to eliminate vignetting. I'll try and test it with a universal adapter tomorrow and with the 20x and report back.
Neil.
Thanks Neil, well here is what my experimenting yielded today:

I took the P5100 off the DCA entirely, and left on the UR-E20 Canon adapter. By manually placing the leading edge of the UR-E20 on the edge of the eyepiece, I am able to get a much sharper image, and actually get the focus indicator to go green before taking the picture. Obviously I'm not holding it ideally still, but even so, far superior results to what I've been getting!

So, it appears the DCA is holding the camera back too far from the eyepiece. I probably gain at least 1/4 inch by eliminating the DCA. Now I just need to rethink how to do this in a secure/repeatable manner?

Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back