• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5100 (1 Viewer)

I wonder if Nikon reads these postings. Since everyone agrees that the P5100 is a good digiscoping camera maybe we can make them a list of features that they can add to the next generation, P5200?. I am hoping that the new P5_00 version will have RAW and a socket for shutter release cable or a remote.

yes, RAW and a built-in sun shade, something durable would be nice.
as well, remote would be cool.
maybe a special edition that comes with the FSB-6 bracket built into camera for us Nikon shooters that use the camera for nothing else but digiscoping.
camouflage finish would be awesome wouldn't it?.
nice flat finish, nothing whatsoever chrome or shiny, waterproof maybe as well?

yes, RAW and a built-in sun shade, something durable would be nice.
as well, remote would be cool.
maybe a special edition that comes with the FSB-6 bracket built into camera for us Nikon shooters that use the camera for nothing else but digiscoping.
camouflage finish would be awesome wouldn't it?.
nice flat finish, nothing whatsoever chrome or shiny, waterproof maybe as well?
and shock proof ?
sorry for not posting any more pics lately,
ive dropped my camera and damaged the zoom be about 4 -6 weeks to fix :C im well pi@@*D off.

my last pictures:t:

Attachments

• Picture 1405 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 1405 (Medium).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 194
  • Picture 1406 (Large) (Custom).jpg
    Picture 1406 (Large) (Custom).jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Picture 1412 (Custom) (Custom) (WinCE).jpg
    Picture 1412 (Custom) (Custom) (WinCE).jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Picture 1404 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 1404 (Medium).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
I've just bought a p5100 off amazon for £180! IDEAL!! I am going to pair it up with my opticron 65 and see what happens, should be good!! On that note, does anyone know if there is an adapter for nikon to opticron? Failing that, its back to the steady hands!!

I've just bought a p5100 off amazon for £180! IDEAL!! I am going to pair it up with my opticron 65 and see what happens, should be good!! On that note, does anyone know if there is an adapter for nikon to opticron? Failing that, its back to the steady hands!!

Good prices on these swing out brackets, although they are waiting on stock after being sent the wrong thing, so they tell me !

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/ViewPr...7I000008&prod_name=Olivon Digiscoping Adapter

PS: Sherwoods are doing them for £10 more.

Here a review from Rob at Digiscope Diary.
http://www.digiscopediary.co.uk/olivon-universal.html

cheers

I have been using that adapter for several months and it is a good design, although it could do with a bit of refinement in the manufacturing process.

Bear in mind that it is really designed for Olivon's own scopes, which have a 50mm thread around the bottom of the eyepiece. This allows the sleeve, which comes with the adapter, to be screwed in place and then the adapter fits onto the sleeve. Acuter scopes and some Kowa ones have this thread and can use the sleeve.

If you can't use the sleeve, the aperture in the adapter is quite large, so by the time the screw is tightened up it might be offset on a small diameter eyepiece. It might also involve quite a bit of screwing and unscrewing to clear the end of the eyepiece when you fix and remove it.

If it fits without too many problems then it is a good value adapter which works well.

Ron

Here a review from Rob at Digiscope Diary.
http://www.digiscopediary.co.uk/olivon-universal.html

cheers

Great info, thanx very much. I've had a look at your sight too, its great, well done, really interesting. I'm hoping for great things from the new nikon, I used their professional cameras of the time, (F4, F5), when I was a pro snapper, and just before I retired, I used the D1X, which was fabulous (at the time!)....

I have been using that adapter for several months and it is a good design, although it could do with a bit of refinement in the manufacturing process.

Bear in mind that it is really designed for Olivon's own scopes, which have a 50mm thread around the bottom of the eyepiece. This allows the sleeve, which comes with the adapter, to be screwed in place and then the adapter fits onto the sleeve. Acuter scopes and some Kowa ones have this thread and can use the sleeve.
Ron

I am sure I read that the Opticron and Kowa threads are the same, hopefully this will work ;-)

Does anyone know what size the thread on the front of the P5100 is? i cant find it in the manual anywhere and i want to attach it to my scope!!!!!:cat:

Anyone using the 5100 with swarovski DCB

Hi

I am new to the forums, but am looking for camera to use with my DCB. The Nikon seems to get a lot of favourable reviews in this post - is anyone using it with a swarovski DCB. I am a complete novice when it comes to photgraphy/digiscoping so looking for something that's easy to use

Cheers

Mark

:brains:

I've just got one of these and have yet to take it out. There seems to be a pale area on the bottom of the screen. You can see it as you turn the camera on or by holding your hand over the lens. I'm wondering whether this is normal but guessing it would be wise to send it back. Perhaps the screen has a slight fault. I did a test photo and it is the screen rather than the output.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

Richard Bashford

I've just got one of these and have yet to take it out. There seems to be a pale area on the bottom of the screen. You can see it as you turn the camera on or by holding your hand over the lens. I'm wondering whether this is normal but guessing it would be wise to send it back. Perhaps the screen has a slight fault. I did a test photo and it is the screen rather than the output.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

Richard Bashford

Not aware of this on mine Richard - sounds like a fault.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back