• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5100 (1 Viewer)

Hi
I would say that over this distance you have done well. Digiscoping is subject to the same limitations as any photography, namely air impurities and pollution inc heat haze.pollen,dust etc etc.

If you talk to any digiscoper they will tell you to keep the cameras zoom down and the distance to the subject as close as possible. I find anything over say 10-20m away and they are really "record shots" This is of course all dependant on the light, size of subject, technique etc.

Over the distance you mention coupled with the light you state I would say again well done.

Get the old coke can out and test your setup from 10m etc with the camera on 2 clicks of zoom and your eyepiece set at 20x. Then increase the distance and watch the results.

Hi
I would say that over this distance you have done well. Digiscoping is subject to the same limitations as any photography, namely air impurities and pollution inc heat haze.pollen,dust etc etc.

If you talk to any digiscoper they will tell you to keep the cameras zoom down and the distance to the subject as close as possible. I find anything over say 10-20m away and they are really "record shots" This is of course all dependant on the light, size of subject, technique etc.

Over the distance you mention coupled with the light you state I would say again well done.

Get the old coke can out and test your setup from 10m etc with the camera on 2 clicks of zoom and your eyepiece set at 20x. Then increase the distance and watch the results.

thanks sleeper,
will give it ago may try out the camera zoom a little more lighter will post more pics cheers jason

I'm new to digiscoping and don't know much about it. I do have a Nikon RA111 82A WP scope and from your posts I've been reading I've decided to buy the Nikon P1500, but I don't know which adaptor I need to join the two up. Any info would be useful. The scope has a 20X60 zoom eyepiece.
Cheers Keith.

hi neil,
ive enclosed a couple of photos with the p5100 taken on auto focus with a zoom eyepiece set at 20 x on a swarovski ats 80hd body im still strugling sligtly. hawfinch very bad light taken in lancs,cattle egret cheshire distant bird really did strugle with this one over 400 shots taken :t: will post more when out next cheers jason

I agree with the other comments that distance and over-magnification were the problem. Also the moving,white egret will not be an easy subject to get Auto Focus on so you would be better to use Infinity Focus and manually focus the scope. The other alternative is to focus on something in front of the moving bird and let it walk into focus using Continuous Mode.
Overall they were not too bad. I also get images like this when I try for long distance digiscoping through haze (which I have often here in Hong Kong ) but sometimes it's the only image we can get.
Neil.

Thanks for the info Tat2dGuy. I've been out and bought the p5100 today I'm still fiddling with all the bits. It looks as though I need the FSB-6 to fix the two together so that's the one I'll go for. Thanks once again.
Cheers Keith

It looks as though I need the FSB-6 to fix the two together so that's the one I'll go for.
I'm not sure it's quite that straight forward. Which 20/60 zoom lens do you have? It looks as if the FSB-6 will only fit straight onto the DS Spotting Scope zoom. The ordinary zoom looks as if it needs adapters to take the FSB-6 and I am not sure whether the FSA-1 and FSA-2 adapters will fit that eyepiece. It seems to depend on whether it has turn and slide eyecups (see the note under MC Fieldscope Eyepieces).

I might be wrong but it's worth checking before you buy.

Edit. Looking at the eyepieces on this page I'm not sure the FSA-1 and FSA-2 will fit the RAIII eyepieces anyway

http://nikon.topica.ne.jp/bi_e/products/nature_b.htm

Ron

Last edited:
Here are some record shots from the weekend. Both birds were distant and the Great White Egret shot was affected by sun.

I am quite pleased with them as I have only recently got the camera and know nothing about photography

Attachments

• Cattle Egret.jpg
    Cattle Egret.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 434
  • Great White.jpg
    Great White.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 351
Hello NoSpringChicken. I should have made it clear in my first info request that I do have the Nikon 20-60 x DS spotting scope zoom, but thanks for trying to save my bacon.
Cheers Keith.

Does anyone have a recommended shutter release system (mechanical and reasonable price) for the P5100? I can not seem to find any comments about one being available.

I am looking for ideas also.

Does anyone have a recommended shutter release system (mechanical and reasonable price) for the P5100? I can not seem to find any comments about one being available.

I am looking for ideas also.

SRB-Griturn produce a range of them. They use the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera so rely on that not being used for anything else. The SRB-Griturn swing out adapter incorporates a shutter release bracket.

http://www.srb-griturn.com/shutter-releases-246-c.asp

Ron

hi guys a few more from the weekend took sleepers advice and eased of the camera zoom

Attachments

• Picture 1041 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 1041 (Medium).jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 411
  • Picture 436 (Small).jpg
    Picture 436 (Small).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 374
  • Picture 1150 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 1150 (Medium).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 384
  • Picture 1391 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 1391 (Medium).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 483
Has anyone tried using the Nikon 3x attachment with this camera yet?.
I wondered how it performed on closer subjects such as mobile passerine's that are maybe more approachable.

a few more, a 5 hour trip for 50 second views about 30 shots taken.

Attachments

• Picture 1436 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 1436 (Medium).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 401
  • Picture 1393 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 1393 (Medium).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 334
  • Picture 1433 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 1433 (Medium).jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 255
Hi PC

Which bracket do you use? Looking at some of the photos it seems you may not have the camera dead centre. It all helps for that final image.

Getting better though. And that WC Sparrow is better than 99% of the people have on here!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back