• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon HG 8x30 dissection (2 Viewers)

Everyone has their expectations and claims, but I am completely satisfied with Monarch HG 8x30 construction. I really like its classic look, but also the optics and mechanics! I even think that, with this superb Monarch HG, Nikon occupies a unique place in the binoculars market, shared only with Leica binoculars. Instead of looking like many other binoculars, it has a luxurious finish and we can feel this in our hands. From my point of view, the concept of this binocular is welcome in the world of common binoculars with boring utilitarian design. This Monarch HG, it's like a classic Porsche. Monarch HG is a very successful design object besides the fact that it is also a good optical instrument!
The monarch:
You sound like a man who needs to try a 42mm EDG binocular :) Maybe you already have. I think you'd love them. I was very impressed with the improvements in the outer covering and overall design and build of the EDG series compared to their prior HG/LX/Premier series of binos.

To me the current EDG have the most luxurious feel of any bino on the market. There is a bit of weight penalty to be paid over the Monarch HG however. And nothing that compares to the compact size of those 8x30's. And I think you have 10x42 SF's, they're nice too, so not much reason to add the 10x42 EDG.

Scott98

I don't have an EDG but it's definitely a fantastic pair of binoculars. I don't feel the need for a Nikon EDG, thanks to the superb Zeiss Victory SF 10x42, just like you say. My Monarch HG 8x30 makes a very good team with my Zeiss SF 10x42. MHG is small (the smallest of the 8x30 family) and SF is very long but very comfortable and perfectly balanced. If I had to choose only two binoculars, these would be the ones!

For this MHG 8x30 I sold three binoculars, because this small MHG successfully replaces all of them: Nikon HGL (Premier) 8x32, Nikon E2 8x30 (last version) and Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25. All three of these are reincarnated in this single Monarch HG 8x30 binoculars.
1.jpg
From Zeiss VP borrowed some ADN of small dimensions, but brighter and more comfortable. From Nikon E2 it borrowed something from the enormous FOV ADN, but with greater edge clarity. And from Nikon Premier borrowed something from ergonomics and comfort ADN, but with a much smaller size.
The "King" HG 8x30 has no rivals when it comes to optical performance/size ratio!the King.JPG

Scott98

I don't have an EDG but it's definitely a fantastic pair of binoculars. I don't feel the need for a Nikon EDG, thanks to the superb Zeiss Victory SF 10x42, just like you say. My Monarch HG 8x30 makes a very good team with my Zeiss SF 10x42. MHG is small (the smallest of the 8x30 family) and SF is very long but very comfortable and perfectly balanced. If I had to choose only two binoculars, these would be the ones!

For this MHG 8x30 I sold three binoculars, because this small MHG successfully replaces all of them: Nikon HGL (Premier) 8x32, Nikon E2 8x30 (last version) and Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25. All three of these are reincarnated in this single Monarch HG 8x30 binoculars.
View attachment 1576169
From Zeiss VP borrowed some ADN of small dimensions, but brighter and more comfortable. From Nikon E2 it borrowed something from the enormous FOV ADN, but with greater edge clarity. And from Nikon Premier borrowed something from ergonomics and comfort ADN, but with a much smaller size.
The "King" HG 8x30 has no rivals when it comes to optical performance/size ratio!
Except the true king of performance/size ratio, the Leica Ultravid HD+. 😉✌🏼.

Attachments

• IMG_7248.jpeg
    IMG_7248.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 9
Yes, Leica Ultravid 8x32 would have been "the king" for me too if I didn't wear glasses for astigmatism. And, if it still has a very small eye relief, it have been good if Ultravid had at least a larger FOV in compensation. Also, I would have liked it to be a little lighter for a hiking binocular, and it was better to have shorter focus distance, because in nature there are many beautiful situations to see close up. But I know and understand that, for many others, this Ultravid is the "real king" of performance/size ratio

Last edited:
I agree on those 8x30's, I may end up with a pair eventually, specifically for something I can hang around my neck while walking two large dog-animals. You want the smallest mass possible, even my 19-ounce 7x35E porros feel clumsy and large bouncing around on my chest. But the various 20's and 25's are too small for my liking. The MHG's still feel like normal binoculars in your hands but are very small.

Someone asked me which EDG to buy if someone wanted to check out that line, I said the 7x42, it best embodies the good things about the 42mm EDG design. But I think you have Habitch 7x42. I guess if you ever wanted something a little wider-field or smoother focuser you could try the EDG there.

We've owned the 8x30MHG and yes, they are lovely. But if looking at 30's, I recommend including the SFL's in sampling. They are both excellent but different in subtle ways - diff folks and all that!

Yes, Leica Ultravid 8x32 would have been "the king" for me too if I didn't wear glasses for astigmatism. And, if it still has a very small eye relief, it have been good if Ultravid had at least a larger FOV in compensation. Also, I would have liked it to be a little lighter for a hiking binocular, and it was better to have shorter focus distance, because in nature there are many beautiful situations to see close up. But I know and understand that, for many others, this Ultravid is the "real king" of performance/size ratio
I agree, the eye relief is one of its shortfalls for eyeglass wearers.

Depends what you want your 8x30 for. It's a great format, the smallest size I'll use with purpose.

As an only binoculars I'd choose the Leica or Zeiss sfl - the Zeiss if you get on with the focus position and wear glasses, the Leica if not. I'd have the Leica, it's one of the reasons I'm putting off having an eye test, not bright but so sharp.

The mhg is nice but if I wanted an all weather, i.e tough binocular I'd want rubber armouring.

The eii is by a margin still the cheapest of all the 8x30's mentioned above and does all I need of an 8x30 when it's dry.

I'm using MHG 8x42 currently and is thinking about getting Swav NL Pure 8x32. Anyone has experience moving from MHG to NL and care to share your thoughts?

I'm using MHG 8x42 currently and is thinking about getting Swav NL Pure 8x32. Anyone has experience moving from MHG to NL and care to share your thoughts?
The NL is one of the best binoculars on the market today. The NL’s are a clear step up from the MHG and all the other MHG price range options. Other options on the NL level are the Swaro EL’s ( great bargains right now), the Zeiss SF’s and the Leica Noctivids, all of which have their own beautiful characteristics. The only way to find out which one you would like the best, is to try them. Size and weight between the MHG 42 and the NL 32 would be similar. If size and weight is not much of a concern, I would go with the 42’s, in my opinion its the best compromise in size and weight for an all around do everything pair of binoculars that anyone would ever need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back