• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Janusz

Poland
Seen on May 29th, last year in Poland. I thought it was a sprosser (mostly due to unclear chin and throat), but I was told recently it is a nightingale (some reddish parts present). So which of them it is?

Attachments

• DSC_4232.JPG
    DSC_4232.JPG
    262.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_4234.JPG
    DSC_4234.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_4237.JPG
    DSC_4237.JPG
    335.2 KB · Views: 74
Hello Janusz,

at first I agreed with Andy, this has to be a juvenile because of scalloped breast and whitish/pale spots on upperparts. But the pale spots seem to be not extensive enough (and too pale, not buffish/rusty enough?) and plumage worn/untidy. It has not enough of them on the greater coverts and I would expect a juvenile to look more pristine on this date.

After looking here http://blascozumeta.com/wp-content/...sseriformes/329.nightingale-lmegarhynchos.pdf and https://ringersdigiguide.ottenby.se/species/luscinia-luscinia/, I think it might well be a 2cy?

But I am unsure, as I havent enough experience with ageing. More questions than answers:
  • Is the iris colourless grey?
  • The breast pattern seems very and extensively scalloped. Is this too extensive for 2 cy?
  • I am not so sure about the bill. Isnt the extensive pinkish/flesh colouration and the appearant/nearly lack of dark/blackish on the tip better for a juvenile bird???
  • It seems to have a slightly deformed bill (ratio of upper and lower mandible?)

But for ID, I hope for more comments. Thanks!
  • Yes, colouration seems better for a Common Nightingale for me, too. But your picture seems warmish biased to me, shifting or enhancing hues towards Common here (no offence you know)
  • End of May would be just ok for the earliest freshly fledged juveiles of Common Nightingale according to literature (Kompendium der Vögel ME), but to early for a Trush Nightingale according to this book.

Thanks for exhaustive answer. The pictures are of course brightened up - the bird was partially in the bush shadow. Well,uncertaininty remains, but I have now some features to consider!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back