• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

night vision binoculars (1 Viewer)

nixjax

Hello,

whats the best (but not too expensive) night vision binoculars, im looking for a pair for my husband for christmas and i dont have a clue, hes a massive bird watcher and we have owls that we hear outside just about everynight and i know that he would love some night vision binoculars to be able to see them.

thank you

Hello,

whats the best (but not too expensive) night vision binoculars, im looking for a pair for my husband for christmas and i dont have a clue, hes a massive bird watcher and we have owls that we hear outside just about everynight and i know that he would love some night vision binoculars to be able to see them.

thank you

Are you looking for a true night-vision, or a traditional "night-glass"?

A true nigh-vision offers only a monochrome image, whereas a night-glass," renders true color. ANY optical device is going to offer some assistance in low light settings, whereas a night-vision instrument will provided a monochrome image with just the light from a few stars or a sliver of moon.

There is also a BIG difference in cost.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill,

thank you for your reply, have you a bit more information on both types regarding cost and kind of item, we are both working class in working class jobs if you know what i mean, i was thinking of about maybe about £300 - £400 or there abouts if its possible to get some at about that price.

thank you

much appreciate the info x

Hi Bill,

thank you for your reply, have you a bit more information on both types regarding cost and kind of item, we are both working class in working class jobs if you know what i mean, i was thinking of about maybe about £300 - £400 or there abouts if its possible to get some at about that price.

thank you

much appreciate the info x

Good night-vision is probably out of your league--financially. Besides the view is mono-chromatic and grainy.

A night glass is ANY bino offering a 7mm exit pupil. The US Navy came up with the term at the beginning of the Second World War. I'm a Yank, so that's the story I'm stickin' with . . . although the first time I know of it being used was by the Brits in the 1920's! Hey, let our guys dream.

Each square inch of optical surface gathers the light of 9 fully dilated eyes. Do the math and without advertising hype and deception, it is easy to see that a "night glass" will allow you to see things that out be obscure to your unaided eye. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

PS Contrary to popular belief, the TWO objectives of a binocular only present to the brain SLIGHTLY (very slightly) more light than one objective, alone. Optical engineers have yet to find a way to trump God.

Last edited:
Hi,

I agree with Bill - usable night vision devices are still priced for the military aka several thousand dollars for a basic passive/active IR device and tens to hundreds of thousand for thermal imagers.

The 1st gen IR devices available for some hundred bucks are not really usable. Not enough signal to noise ration and not enough IR light.

One option is a night glass like 7x50 or 8x56 - this will help you to a degree in dusk or with some artificial light available. Just forget about regular birding even in bright moon light - hunters are glad to recognize the silhouette of a deer at 100 yards with those.

Another idea is to get a trail cam and put it in the trees where you suspect the owls to be. The better ones have IR capability and an IR illuminator. Also since they will automatically take pictures of any movement close by, they get a chance to take close up pictures you'd never get with any night vision device.

Joachim

Hi, maybe this might fit the bill, don't know how high it will go. Nothing to do with me I hasten to add, just spotted it and thought of your post. Best wishes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Night-Vis...975283?hash=item43e5c92bf3:g:OYAAAOSw4UtWSj2Z

Hi,

this is certainly one of the usable devices and some k€ new. I'd be surprised if it goes for an amount in the budget mentioned but it might be worth a shot. Seller has 100% good feedback also for expensive stuff and offers Paypal which is good in case of problems.

Here's a review of the unit in a german hunting mag (text is in german obviously but there's images taken through the device).

https://www.wildundhund.de/r30/vc_content/bilder/firma438/Archiv_2005/012_017_nachtsicht_1205.pdf

Joachim

Hi!
I have three night vision (NV) devices; one gen1+ and two digital.
I did a lot of reading of reviews, which I could evaluate against my own experiences of NV from my service (although this is now many years ago, and much has happened on the military grade equipments. We had then gen 2+ at the best). An interesting observation for the reviews is that people either love or hate the affordable NV devices. Some feel they fit their expectations, other have had much too high expectations
Each one of my NV has been of less than about 200E. You can get pretty useful gear for that price if you first decide what you are going to use it for. This is very important to avoid disappointment. Some NV is like comparing a pair of binoculars with a spotting scope, both can be good for a certain task, but catastrophic for the other. My devices are all monocular, as I find the binocular ones too expensive for the gain you may get. But this is again depending on what you want to use it for.
All my devices have built in IR flashlight. In this price range the use of IR is a must, especially for the digital ones, but gen1+ is also not giving much amplification of ambient light. You can use them without IR if ambient light equals the full moon. However, a good 7x42 or 7x50 binocular would be at least as good in most occasions. In my opinion, the built in IR flashlight in all my devices are really good, certainly sufficient for more or less the useful range of the device (set by mainly magnification and resolution). I have, however, complemented with an external IR flashlight (VkTech Ultrafire MPN UF-T20 for 22E) and an IR laser (Pulsar L-808S for 110E). They can be attached to an NV device with the tripod socket or a gun sight rail (you may have to buy this stuff separately for a couple of euros). Using an external IR increases the useful distance of the device (depending on the magnification and resolution), and when looking for animals they may increase the distance to which one can see eye-reflections (eyes reflect IR as good as visible light) to hundreds of meters. ). External IR also saves battery life of the device, battery the built in IR drains battery fast. I find that the IR flashlight and the laser works about equally good, the laser being more leight weight, and the flashlight being cheaper.
My gen1+ device is an ATN Night Trek 3x42. It is sold under many brands and for prices varying between 100E and 300E. I paid 110E. It is good enough for looking at dog-sized animals to about 75m, but you can see them fairly well to 150m if using external IR. I use it to scan areas as the FoV is pretty wide and the image is more comfortably “analog” (or “optical”) than the digital devices (if you can accept the edge image distortion surrounding the reasonably sharp sweet spot). I have also noticed that children have a little easier to see with the analog device than the digital, although they prefer the digital ones for their added feature of taking photos/video). Good with the gen1+ device is also that you can save a lot of battery by not needing to have it on all the time. You simply give it a boost with the on/off switch and then it works for a minute or two on the charge it gets. It runs on a battery type that is less common, but still readily available on amazon at low cost.
After having scanned an area and spotted some animals I may want to change to my Bestguarder 6x50 digital NV. It can easily see a dog up to 250m. Again, this is a device sold under various brand names, mostly for about the same price (about 200E), although some specs on the electronics can differ. The Bestguarder have relatively high photo/video resolution. This digital device has a much narrower FoV, and is a little more fiddly than the Night Trek (the digital images tend to be somewhat more extreme in difference betwen whites and blacks compared to the smoother, optical image of the gen1+), but it gives much more detail in the image, and at greater distance. Compare it with a spotting scope vs binoculars (But dont compare the magnifications of NV to those of your optical binoculars! The actual magnification is the same, sure, but the “behavior” of the NV device is much more like that of binoculars/spotting scopes of higher magnification, i.e. 3x is maximum what one can compare with a binocular of up to 10x in how to handle it, and 6x is behaving like a spotting scope of 20x or higher, working best on a tripod or monopod). Great with the digital NV is that it can take still photos and video, which is really very very fun! But the narrow FoV of the 6x NV makes it almost hopeless for scanning an area. It runs on regular AA batteries. The built in IR is so good that I find no need for the external IR other than to save batteries and to detect eye-reflections at great distances. The Bestguarder is also the heaviest and bulkiest of my NV devices. It is my “spotting scope”.
My most recent purchase is the Bresser 3x14 digital NV. Again, it comes under many brand names and various prices. I paid 125E. It has a FoV similar to the Night Trek. It can take photos/video, but at lower resolution than the Bestguarder. It does not have the reach of the Bestguarder (both due to the lower magnification and the lower resolution). I have not tried it extensively yet, but I find that is best suited for similar distances and purposes as the Night Trek. It is very easy to handle, and pocket size. It runs on regular AA batteries. The view is very detailed and clear to about 75m. The built in IR is sufficient for that task. I think it will make my Night Trek gen1+ obsolete.
In summary, for a short range watching like of the garden area, owls in trees, and animals in the fields when spotting from the car, I think the Bresser 3x14 is really fun. I only appreciate the ATN gen1+ for its cool “feeling” of classic green NV, and the, in some way, comfortable optical view (But certainly, the digital devices gives MUCH more detail). For looking at animals at a longer range, for instance when trying to spot otters when stationary in a hiding place, or spotting wolves at hundreds of meters distance from the car window, then I find the Bestguarder 6x50 unbeatable.
The two types of devices complement eachother (like binoculars and spotting scopes). If I tried to use any of the devices in a way they are not optimized for I would get greatly disappointed.
There are many NV devices to choose from, but in this price range up to 250E I have found no better than these.
I hope this was helpful!

Last edited:
A summary of the summary of my long review above is: Go digital!
For a low cost you get something that will work very well to spot owls in nearby trees, and let you take photos/videos of them as well.
I would go for gen2+ (and higher) devices only if I expected the object that I was looking at to shoot back at me. I would save that money. The IR lamp, 850nm used in the devices I mentioned, is visible as a red dot. Not strong, but a human will notice it when looking back at you, or see it shining like the sun if holding an IR detection device or another NV. However, it will not spoke animals unless you direct it (or get reflected light) so that you illuminate your human features. Same as for a spotlight.

Regarding the Swarovski NC2 announced on ebay.
Certainly attractive... But... Hmmm..... Who sells a "new" NV for 1/10 of the market price?? Why?
And the vendor ratings are to me a bit peculiar, I cant make heads or tales on if they actually refer to this vendor. But I am inexperienced with ebay. Maybe all is OK, then certainly a bargain for a gen2+.
But still, also a bargain is money... I would carefully consider if not a digital NV with recording function is more fun for the intended purpose.

Update: Ahhh... I think I understand that ebay thing. This is just the latest bid, and it can be far from what the vendor eventually will accept. Well, then it will probably close in to its real market value. Or maybe half of it, as customary for used gear, which will be 1500+ or more euro.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information 6130rm.

I tried an old Gen 2+ and it was about the same as a binocular but less resolution. Very nice image. Very large and heavy. Jupiter's moons bright.

Something like a Sony7S with 85mm f/1.4 lens shows stars 40x fainter than unaided eyes, just looking through the viewfinder. Impressive but expensive.

Hi Binastro / Joachim,

Yes, 1st Gen, so probably not the greatest, I guess depends on where it will be used, night life in the Garden probably ok, but not much more. I note Amazon reviewers are not exactly raving about it.

Have to say Bill, your advice has helped me out of more than one hole, pleased your here.

Ben:

You’re very kind and I appreciate the comment. Now, if I could just get my detractors to understand that succinct straight talk does not equate to the many negative things of which I have been accused, it would be a better Christmas. Sadly, though, I won’t waste time by watering down my comments just to make a few opinion mongers, with thin skins, feel better.

“Seize on the truth, where’er ‘tis found,
On Christian, or on heathen ground.
Among our friends; among our foes,
Neglect the prickle, and assume the rose.”---Nickerbocker Magazine, Oct., 1836

Bless you and Merry Christmas. :cat:

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back