• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zealand November-December 2008: The Lost Land of the Kiwi (2 Viewers)

Hi Andrew, could you say how far in advance you booked the Hauraki Gulf trip, who it was with and how much it costs ? Nice to see you got a couple of Japanese endemics on your way home to round it off.

Some useful information

As mentioned above, I did most of the planning for the trip before I went. This was pretty easy using the Internet, although occasionally it's hard to find information.

Places to stay

I found accommodation in various ways, usually either looking at the tourist website for a town or using Hostelworld. Hostelworld is pretty good, as it has reviews and usually a lot of information. Note that most hostels these days have single or double private rooms (sometimes ensuite) as well as dormitories. These are usually a bit cheaper than you might pay in a hotel (e.g. in Kaikoura I paid around £20 a night for a double ensuite room with sea views). There was one cock up in Christchurch though (see below). I also found one place through the Lonely Planet guide (in Picton).

Stewart Island:
South Sea Hotel - a bit old but fairly cheap with big rooms and a reasonable restaurant.
Bunkers Backpackers - put me up when the ferry got cancelled. Good value, but I pretty much just slept there.
Check the Stewart Island site for other options.

Invercargill:
My first night I stayed in an appartment at Living Space in central Invercargill. Not really cheap but good value for what it is. And I wanted somewhere comfortable after two days flying!
I was planning to stay at Bushy Point Fernbirds B&B, which is just outside the town, but the cancelled ferry scuppered that. I did visit to see the Fernbirds though. Recommended.

Te Anau:
I stayed at Te Anau YHA, which was pretty good.

Queenstown:
Melbourne House. This wasn't particularly good but wasn't terrible.

Twizel:
The rather smart, if a bit pricy, Mountain Chalets. The Twizel site is helpful.

Christchurch
This was the cock up. I booked a place through Hostelworld and in the intervening month, it had been taken over and renamed. Luckily there was another hostel around the corner (Charlie B's), where they had room. It was fine except everyone kept saying 'awesome' all the time.

Kaikoura
I stayed at the amusingly named Lazy Shag hostel. This is a bit north of the town centre and it's quite a long trek down to the Albatross Encounter place (maybe 20-25 minutes walk). It's good though and very cheap. There's a nice restaurant next door where they do a decent veggie breakfast.

Picton
I stayed at 'The Villa', which was recommended in Lonely Planet. It's a very characterful place with amusing staff.

Warkworth
I stayed overnight at the Bridgehouse Lodge in Warkworth, prior to doing the Hauraki Gulf Pelagic. It's fairly cheap and okay but a bit noisy.

Tokyo Narita
I booked a room at the Narita Hilton through Expedia. The hotel was very comfortable and the staff helpful. It wasn't really pricy (about £42 for the room) but the food in the restaurants was a bit expensive. They do a regular and free shuttle bus service to and from the airport and also into Narita town.

Transport

Air - I travelled to New Zealand with Air New Zealand, who I reckoned were pretty good. You get quite a bit of leg room, which you'll need on such a long flight. I also used them for internal flights. On the international flights they had a good video selection and not all of the music they had on offer was completely awful, which makes a change.

Bus
The travel I did on land was by bus. Most trips were using Intercity. Buses aren't always that frequent, particularly in the South Island. They mostly seem to be aimed at tourists, which means the drivers often give a running commentary of the sights. Sometimes this is good, sometimes not so good, but the intentions are right. I found drivers to be quite staggeringly friendly and eager to please. Booking in advance is recommended and you can often get reasonable prices for journeys this way.

There are quite a lot of backpacker bus companies in New Zealand. I had a bit of a look at these to see if I could get some sort of all-in-one ticket that would save me money. It seems that they don't do 'the birder's route' as an itinerary yet, sadly.

I used a few other companies for a couple of journeys. I used Tracknet to get me from Te Anau to the Homer Tunnel. The Cook Connection run buses twice daily between Twizel and Mount Cook Village, stopping in Glentanner. This is bus is potentially very useful for birders. I travelled from Twizel to Christchurch with Atomic Travel. This was okay but I didn't think the service was quite as friendly as with Intercity.

Boat:
I got to Stewart Island with the Stewart Island Experience ferry. You can also buy a ticket that includes bus transfer from Invercargill.
I took the Interislander ferry from Picton to Wellington. There are several sailings a day.
The boat to Tiritiri Matangi is run by 360 Discovery. It's advisable to book in advance and they don't run trips on Monday and Tuesday.

Birding info
Stewart Island:
My travel to Ulva Island and the pelagic birding was set up with Ruggedy Range Wilderness Experience, who were very good. They do lots of other stuff if you're staying for longer.
The Kiwi watching trip was run by Phillip Smith. You can email him at <pds AT visitrakiura.co.nz> (replacing AT with @). These run most evenings but are dependent on weather and demand.

Kaikoura:
For albatross trips you want Oceanwings Albatross Encounter. Their large office is south of the town centre.
For whale watching you want Whale Watch Kaikoura. Their office is to the north of the town centre.

Picton:
The trip I did to Queen Charlotte Sound was run by Dolphin Watch Ecotours, who do a wide range of different trips.

Wenderholm:
More information on the regional park here.

Hauraki Gulf:
The pelagic trip was run by Chris Gaskin of Pterodroma Pelagics.

Mangatautari:
Find out more about the reserve here.

Some other useful sites

Weather forecasts
http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/index.php
Tide times
http://ofu.co.nz/graph/tides.php
New Zealand Birding List
http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NEWZ.html#1196826631

Last edited:
Hi Andrew, could you say how far in advance you booked the Hauraki Gulf trip, who it was with and how much it costs ? Nice to see you got a couple of Japanese endemics on your way home to round it off.

Hopefully the last post will have the info. It was NZ$260 for the day (and it really was a full day). They need five participants though. If you check the website and email Chris he should be able to help you out. He also posts trip reports on the New Zealand birding list. There's one from just a few days ago in fact. They do, as you'll have noticed, get the birds.

Andrew I just caught up to this excellent report, thankyou for sharing ! Could you tell us approximately how many species you saw in New Zealand ? If you posted that I must have missed it.
Thankyou , stephen

Andrew I just caught up to this excellent report, thankyou for sharing ! Could you tell us approximately how many species you saw in New Zealand ? If you posted that I must have missed it.
Thankyou , stephen

I managed 114 Stephen. Glad you liked the report - I had a really nice time in New Zealand and would love to go back.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back