• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New species for Opus (1 Viewer)

Naive as this must sound, how do you find out what birds are needed for Opus?

As you are one of the good souls who always puts the scientific name in it is quite an easy process for you to check. Just click the view in Opus and this takes you direct to the page of that species [[if there is no photo you have hit the jackpot] this sometimes may bring you back just the scintific name [this normally shows an incorrect sc. name or spelling mistake]

AS regard a list of species that we do not have I am not sure if we are able to do that [but someone who is more into Opus will be able to give the proper answer on that]. I dealt more with its predecessor "the database"

I really have no idea whether I have anything new to contribute to Opus or not. I understand the importance of contributing a new taxon for a visual reference. I currently love posting my three pictures a day and viewing and commenting on positive aspects for as many other posts that I have time for, across the board of choices. I was hoping that there was a “need list” that I could scan that I might recognize a species and say, oh yes, I have a photo of that taxon and then post it. Otherwise, I am just trying to go through a particular trip and more or less systematically post until I have drained the barrel. Of course, I get bored and throw a few odds and ends into the mix every now and then. Hopefully, all photos of missing taxa will be filled, sooner than later. There are a great number of superb photographers that belong to the forum from around the world and some that seem to travel the world. I have only been a member for a short time and am enjoying it very much. I still feel much like a neophyte but I continue to learn bit by bit. Thanks for all of the positive feed back.

I got a photo of Nicaraguan Seed-Finch on my recent trip to Costa Rica (and thanks to Steve (Hamhed) for finding the bird while I got the car).

Niels

As at least Andre has discovered, alanc has added a picture of Wedge-tailed Sabrewing

Niels

When I checked a few days ago, there was no photo for Wedge-tailed Sabrewing, so yesterday I uploaded a couple, but when I went to add them to the Opus page, I saw that alanc had beaten me to the punch. So now I would like to delete the photos I uploaded, because they are just taking up space on the server without serving any purpose, but I can't find any way to do that. Is there a way? Thanks.

Glen

When I checked a few days ago, there was no photo for Wedge-tailed Sabrewing, so yesterday I uploaded a couple, but when I went to add them to the Opus page, I saw that alanc had beaten me to the punch. So now I would like to delete the photos I uploaded, because they are just taking up space on the server without serving any purpose, but I can't find any way to do that. Is there a way? Thanks.

Glen

It looks like you used the "upload file" command in Opus; I like your photo, and would encourage you to upload it to the gallery as well! It nicely supplements the photo by alanc. We are able to place more than one photo in one opus page, so if you don't mind, don't worry about deleting!

Niels

It looks like you used the "upload file" command in Opus;

That's right - is there a better way to add photos to Opus pages?

I like your photo, and would encourage you to upload it to the gallery as well! It nicely supplements the photo by alanc

Thanks. I can post them to the gallery, but then wouldn't there be two copies of each on the BF servers - one for Opus and one for the Gallery, with the Opus copy serving no purpose (unless it was added to the species page)? Or is there a way to post an Opus photo to the Gallery without uploading it again?

We are able to place more than one photo in one opus page, so if you don't mind, don't worry about deleting!

Feel free to use any of my photos in Opus - that's why I uploaded them. I uploaded two Wedge-tailed Sabrewings, so if you use one, you can delete the one you don't use. I value efficiency and don't want to litter the BF servers with unused photos.

Glen

Hi Glen

That's right - is there a better way to add photos to Opus pages?

Upload File is the only way to get pictures onto an Opus page.

Thanks. I can post them to the gallery, but then wouldn't there be two copies of each on the BF servers - one for Opus and one for the Gallery, with the Opus copy serving no purpose (unless it was added to the species page)? Or is there a way to post an Opus photo to the Gallery without uploading it again?

It's really best if photos are uploaded to the Gallery, so they are available for further research - ie different subspecies/sexes/ages/angles of view/behaviour etc, etc. Also the information added to the photo details, such as location, habitat and behaviour noticed (interaction with other species maybe) can be noted.

Feel free to use any of my photos in Opus - that's why I uploaded them. I uploaded two Wedge-tailed Sabrewings, so if you use one, you can delete the one you don't use. I value efficiency and don't want to litter the BF servers with unused photos.

Glen

I can only find one of your W-tS pictures in the uploads at the moment (agree with Niels it's a great photo).

I don't think we need to worry about 'littering the servers with unused photos', especially for species that we have very few images of. Admin would warn us, I'm sure, if it was ever to become a problem. (Just think of the hundreds of Robin pictures that must be added each year:-O)

The pictures are easier to find in the Gallery using the Search link on the article - you wouldn't necessarily know that an image had been uploaded onto the Opus File list.

D

I can only find one of your W-tS pictures in the uploads at the moment

The two photos are:

Image:110115 Wedge-tailed Sabrewing 3660.jpg

Image:110115 Wedge-tailed Sabrewing 3661.jpg

I'll post them to the Gallery - I always do that with photos I add to Opus. But I still think it's wrong that I can't delete a photo that I've uploaded to Opus (or the Gallery). Thanks.

Glen

They're great pictures Glen. Thanks.

You had a good trip then!

D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back