• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Seawatching Bins (1 Viewer)

Craig Chambers

I'm looking to upgrade my present binoculars (ACE Avian 8x42) and I will hopefully be testing some Leica and Swarovski models in the near future. Obviously I can't actually test any at sea and since I'm planning some pelagic trips beginning this year I would appreciate any practical advice, eg how much benefit would I gain from an increased magnification given the lack of stability once I'm actually afloat ?

many thanks

Craig

Last edited:
I personally don't think it would affect anything, I use 10 X 50s and never have a problem seawatching from a boat, i think lower mag bins come into thier own mainly in wooded areas as close focusing may be needed.

My rule of thumb for hand holding binnies is a max mag of 10x. Any more than that and you really need some support to get a steady image so if the ground is moving as on a boat!!!! you will have even more trouble. 10x50 should be OK.

Colin

Craig, have you looked at the Canon Binocs with IS? I have used them on the water (not my own) and the IS is very good. But I would only get them if you go on sea trips often

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back