• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nikon 8X42 HG (1 Viewer)

You seem to be enjoying your new MHG's quite a bit :cool:(y). They are a decent binocular . Lovely playground you have there .

Because I had replaced both my Nikon 8x30 and 10x35 E2's with the Nikon MHG it took me roughly a year to fully appreciate my Nikon MHG 8x42 . All this because of astigmatism and the need to wear eyeglasses . The E2's didn't work for me because of the eyeglasses , huge bummer for me .
2-3 years later and I am enjoying my MHG's immensely .
In my opinion the Nikon MHG is at the point of diminishing returns for what it costs to buy . Outstanding binocular , ticks off all the boxes for me !

EDG has a smaller FOV and more money. I am not seeing any CA and you have to strain your eyes to look at the edge, smarter to move the bin a little. I like the wider FOV.

Not everybody sees CA. Look at a black furnace pipe on a house roof against a white sky. The MHG has a little CA in the center of the FOV also, which will affect the sharpness to a small extent. I think that is why the Zeiss Conquest HD is a little sharper on-axis. The EDG does have a smaller FOV, but it is a higher quality view, similar to an 8x56. An 8x56 FL or SLC doesn't have near the size of FOV of an 8x42 SF or 8x42 NL, but it has a higher quality view with much higher glare resistance and less optical aberrations. The glass in the EDG is no doubt a considerable upgrade from the MHG and is more expensive. It depends on your what you want. A higher quality FOV or a bigger FOV.
One of the reasons I got rid of the Celestron Regal ED 8x42 was because of CA yet others don't see it the way I do, I thought it was bad . I don't notice CA with the MHG although maybe it needs to be really bad for me to notice it .

Not everybody sees CA. Look at a black furnace pipe on a house roof against a white sky. The MHG has a little CA in the center of the FOV also, which will affect the sharpness to a small extent. I think that is why the Zeiss Conquest HD is a little sharper on-axis. The EDG does have a smaller FOV, but it is a higher quality view, similar to an 8x56. An 8x56 FL or SLC doesn't have near the size of FOV of an 8x42 SF or 8x42 NL, but it has a higher quality view with much higher glare resistance and less optical aberrations. The glass in the EDG is no doubt a considerable upgrade from the MHG and is more expensive. It depends on your what you want. A higher quality FOV or a bigger FOV.
Look, when the sun goes behind the tall pines in my front yard I look at the top of the pines and see no CA at the trees edges, if they pass that test for me I won't need to spend another $500-1000. The sun behind tall trees, no better real world test than that. I never nerd out and look at chimney pipes anyway. You can bash the HG all you want, I really don't care. LOL

Last edited:
Hmmmm....when I ran through the HG's I didn't see much false color. The 8x30 MHG is significantly better than the 8x30 Swaro CL on false color. You may find a little breakdown at the outer edges and a little bit of false color out there, but not much. EDG is close to MHG in my eyes. For the extra weight and cost of the EDG, you get a little better focusing, a little better edge sharpness. But the MHG were equally bright and have wider FOV. And they weigh less.

As I said, some people may like them better than EDG regardless of cost. That's what Nikon USA will tell you anyway!

Try looking at a Crow or a Raven if you have them. You need something black against a light or white back round.
The shady side of a 100' pine tree is pretty dark. I don't look at crows with my bins. Yesterday, chipping sparrows, American Goldfinch, bluebirds, cedar waxwing, red tail hawk, and by accident three vultures circling, NO CA! We could go on and on but what's the point?

One thing I'd like to hear from HG owners is how is the leatherette? covering holding up?View attachment 1531099
Seems to hold up very well, better than most Swarovski’s 😜. Mine are about two years old , no issues at all, and the material stays looking new. I’ve also had used a few of the MHG’s that were well used for quite a few years and the leatherette is the last thing to show wear. Enjoy those Nikos, what an elegant binocular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back