• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New guy looking for a scope under 600€ (1 Viewer)

Larizzz3

Lithuania
Hi,

I am new here, glad to join you all.

Hope you can chip in and help me decide on the best scope for my budget. I could add a few hundred more to my budget, but would prefer to keep it under 600€.

My first and most important priority is picture quality. Plan to use it mostly for watching nature and wildlife. Second would probably be size and weight, since I'll be taking the scope on backpacking or cycling trips. Would be cool if it had good low light performance or could even do a bit of stargazing, but that probably goes against the the low weight thing. Some occasional digiscoping will definitely take place. Angled variant would be preferred as well.

I've done a lot of reading here and on other forums. Among the various mid-range scope suggestions, Nikon Fieldscope line stands out to me. Especially the Fieldscope ED III 60mm. Everyone seems to give very high praise to Nikon and that scope in particular. My question would be, is it still competitive in todays market? If so, what would you consider a good deal for a used one or new old stock one? I have found some buy-it-now options of "new old stock" ED III's with a 40x WDS EP for around 600$.

Maybe you have better suggestions? Should I look into something like Prostaff 5 60 instead? It is a bit cheaper new and a lot cheaper used. From what I read, it isn't as good as the ED III. Some used Kowa or other reputable brand scopes I missed?

Thanks all

I think the Opticron i's a good choice, and I was impressed by the one I looked through; I am an advocate of the Nikon Fieldscope series though, and the EDIII is a fine scope, still comparable with today's latest and greatest in the 60-65mm class. If you could find one with the 30x lens for around 500euros, I think you'd be onto a bargain!

Thanks for replying guys, would you say Opticron MM4 60GA ED is a jump in image quality over the EDIII? I Know it is quite a bit lighter, so that's one thing going for it. Both of these are available to me for similar prices, but the EDIII the easier option for digiscoping, since I have a compatible Nikon camera and have seen more adapters around.

Thanks for replying guys, would you say Opticron MM4 60GA ED is a jump in image quality over the EDIII? I Know it is quite a bit lighter, so that's one thing going for it. Both of these are available to me for similar prices, but the EDIII the easier option for digiscoping, since I have a compatible Nikon camera and have seen more adapters around.
I've not spent enough time with the Opticron to comment with any authority. I've had an ED50 for a decade, and and ED82 for about 5 years, and I'm yet to be convinced by any other scope that there is a better combination for my eyes and uses.
Hopefully somebody else can chip in.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back