• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New for 2020 Meopta Meopro Air Binoculars (1 Viewer)

I wonder what the chances are for Meopta to add a 8x32 in the near future to this lineup or hopefully a 7x42 ?

I wouldn't be surprised to see an 8x32 in the future, but hardly anyone makes a 7x42 anymore. Between wider fields of view on newer bino designs and negligible demand for 7x42, I'd say the chances are nil.

agree

I wouldn't be surprised to see an 8x32 in the future, but hardly anyone makes a 7x42 anymore. Between wider fields of view on newer bino designs and negligible demand for 7x42, I'd say the chances are nil.

I have to agree. I think a quality semi-compact bino may show up one of these days. Their MeoSport bino is nice but lacks the quality of their higher-end binos. I am really looking forward to seeing the MeoStar Plus bino this year.

I think they are just 'upping' the ante in price and quality...and this new line-up is their approach of slowly getting the consumer used to both. I picked up a Meostar B1.1 a while back for a discounted $806 price. The shift upwards in price is what Meopta wanted and now they have it. I am assuming that the ultimate / future Meostar B2 will be closer to $2000 to elevate it's quality build status to be more akin to the competition in price. And the MeoPro is filling in that mid-level price point. But will the B1.1Plus be fazed out as well?

But as Steve said...this Meopro is aimed at the birders market at 6' close distance, who than is the Meostar aimed at ? Hunters?

And if so....why not have the Meopro made and assembled in Czech like the Meostar?

I think they are just 'upping' the ante in price and quality...and this new line-up is their approach of slowly getting the consumer used to both. I picked up a Meostar B1.1 a while back for a discounted $806 price. The shift upwards in price is what Meopta wanted and now they have it. I am assuming that the ultimate / future Meostar B2 will be closer to $2000 to elevate it's quality build status to be more akin to the competition in price. And the MeoPro is filling in that mid-level price point. But will the B1.1Plus be fazed out as well?

But as Steve said...this Meopro is aimed at the birders market at 6' close distance, who than is the Meostar aimed at ? Hunters?

And if so....why not have the Meopro made and assembled in Czech like the Meostar?
The MeoStar B1.1 is now upgraded to the MeoStar B1 Plus. The optics are the same but they have added a locking diopter, MeoDrop hydrophobic coating, and a newly shaped and textured rubber armoring. There is also a substantial price increase. And yes, they are aimed at hunters.

The MeoPro HDs are now made in Czech Republic. Their price dropped $300 retail when they moved the production back.

The Air binoculars, like lots of other products, have been delayed by Covid-19 issues and last I heard are projected to be released sometime next year.

It seems that many binoculars are meant with hunters in mind in their advertisement so must be a bigger market than birders. But with the Meopro Air, it is supposed to be lighter than the Meostar and perhaps more birder oriented.

The current B1.1 Plus is just a filler, until the B2 takes over way down the road. Interesting in that the Meopta line used to consist of a $400 price point (Meopro which is being discontinued) and the $900 current Meostar B1.1 series, and now they will shift upwards in price point with the Air taking over for the Meostar at $900 and having the new Meostar B2 competing in more the alpha range (will be interesting if they keep it under $2000).

I like the Meopta line-up.... good value, good glass....but it remains to be seen on the MeoPro or the new Meostar B2...

Thanks Imans66, Saw a video and if I remember correctly, the Optika and Meostar has removable eyepieces but the Pro doesn’t. Just wonder if the ProAir will? Not a deal breaker, but would be nice.

As a slight update to the thread:

I don't know if you guys have noticed that the first two models, the 8x42 and the 10x42 both have the HD moniker and both containe fluoride glass.
The current Meostar B1 Plus 8x42 does not, which implies that the new MeoPro Airs price tag could be well justified if it slightly betters the Meostar 8x42. It also boasts a whopping 22mm eye relief!

The current Meostar B1 Plus 10x42 is HD so probably no performance tweek on that one.

I noticed on the Meopta E-Sales site that they have Tan and Orange MeoStar Plus binos. Quantity says 2 of each.

All but the 8x Plus models have flouride lenses according to the website. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 8x42s do as well since Meopta has had inaccurate info on their site over the years. A resident Internet expert here just got a pair of the Airs and speaks glowingly of them. Would love to have Lee and some others here review them as I very much respect their opinions.

I get it about the inaccuracies, but I can assure you, the 8X MeoStar Plus model does not have fluoride lenses. I was told that because they are 8X magnification that the difference was imperceptible, unlike on higher magnification binos. I have the 8X and I truly think they are the best binos that I own, which includes some that are 2.5X more expensive.

I get it about the inaccuracies, but I can assure you, the 8X MeoStar Plus model does not have fluoride lenses. I was told that because they are 8X magnification that the difference was imperceptible, unlike on higher magnification binos. I have the 8X and I truly think they are the best binos that I own, which includes some that are 2.5X more expensive.
Bartd, I am very interested in getting my hands on a pair and trying them. While it’s up to each person to see for themselves, I am curious if you notice if the view is “darker” or “dimmer” than others?

Meopta states that these only have a daylight transmission rate of 83%. While I feel people sometimes put too much emphasis on this value, 83% is still 9% less than say a Zeiss SF, which would surely be a very noticeable difference.

Do you fee that is the case? Or is it a moot point in actual use in the field?

I do not think so. If anything I think the 8 is brighter, to my eyes, than the 10's I have. If I could only have one pair, it would be the 8's, hands down. I use them for waterfowl scouting in the early morning and late evening as well as watching cattle.

I recently was looking for a good 10x42 and I considered an SLC 10x42, but they are a little difficult to find new especially with any kind of discount and I only wanted to spend about $1000, so I was in your position. I tried the Leica Trinovid 10x42, the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 and the new Meopta Meopro Air 10x42. The Leica was a "floater" for me meaning the eye cups were too short for the eye relief, so it was out. The Zeiss Conquest HD had great optics, and they were very bright, but I had a ring of light around the FOV almost like I was seeing beyond the field stop, so it was out. The Nikon is bright and has a big FOV, but it had too much CA especially on the edge for me, so it was out. I chose the Meopta Meopro 10x42 because it ticked more of my boxes than any of the other choices. It is Meopta's new model and it is more modern looking and lighter than the Meostars, and it has an open bridge like the Swarovski EL, so it is very comfortable in your hands. Optically I find it equal to the Meostar for less money. Your preferences and physiology are different, so the best thing is to try these four and see which one you prefer. If the Zeiss or Leica work for you, they are also very nice binoculars. I have the SLC 8x42 and I find the Meopta Meopro Air 10x42 to be every bit as good quality wise and optic wise as the SLC.

Attachments

• aton_file_000000000016601_4AFB03FE2CE92A449EA0AFEEF509A7B0.jpg
    aton_file_000000000016601_4AFB03FE2CE92A449EA0AFEEF509A7B0.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 11
  • si34210.jpg
    si34210.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 11
I recently was looking for a good 10x42 and I considered an SLC 10x42, but they are a little difficult to find new especially with any kind of discount and I only wanted to spend about $1000, so I was in your position.
Swarovski no longer makes 42mm SLCs. Their prices on the 56mm models are in the same price range as the ELs, and Swarovski could not alter the SLC 42s enough to create a significant price difference, as they had already removed the close focus lenses from the SLCs, which never had field flatteners either.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back