• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New AX Visio 10x32 binocular (1 Viewer)

Here some shots with the Visio (the day was dull and dark).
I think with a good digiscoping setup, you should get better photos. But the operation of the Visio (including - hopefully - identification) is of course simpler.

Much better than I feared given sensor size - looks fine for record / id shots. The problem with digiscoping or using a camera is how many shots you miss swapping equipment - the one instrument option avoids this.

The Visio is heavy for a binocular, indeed. 1090 g for a 10x32.

However, it has a camera included that is good enough for record shots.

So the Visio may replace:
  • A Swaro CL 10x30: 500 g
  • A superzoom cam, such as the Nikon P950 (one of the best currently available for birding): 1050 g, or the Lumix FZ200 (an older and light one): 590 g

I think Swaro's EL and NL binos are already priced way beyond what MOST birders will pay
Maybe other nature lovers can be interested also? It can be useful to retrieve the game after moving a little or, with some suitable software, to identify the characteristics of permitted game.

Last edited:
And in the spirit of the previous exchange about modern birders not having much stamina, so to speak. Did you get anything above and beyond a Magpie?!
Yes, red kite, as shown in post 138, then some pigeons, a common buzzard, and a number more, which were deleted when I returned the Visio (I did not download all pics to the iphone).

I do struggle to with who exactly is going to buy these. Is a novice and aspiring birder going to blow £3500 on binoculars? I have an 80mm scope, a 60mm travel scope, his and hers normo binoculars, his and hers pocket binoculars, some low light bins, plus some other odds and sods and in total haven't spent anywhere near £3500.

Perhaps the bored retiree with a pension lump sum is a bigger market than I imagine?

The Visio was mentioned in The Guardian's coverage of CES alongside a see-through TV and an AI cat flap.

Here some shots with the Visio (the day was dull and dark).
I think with a good digiscoping setup, you should get better photos. But the operation of the Visio (including - hopefully - identification) is of course simpler.
Thanks Canip, yes digiscoping can get frustrating at times, the Visio solves that and the photos look good, with some sunlight you'll get much better results. Software updates as well may add more improvements. I look forward to finding out more about this binocular.

One more ...
Pretty impressive , seems the sensor punches above its weight.
As for the price, it can be seen as a bargain, at least for birders on travel. That is a big market, as the multiplication of nature travel tours indicates.
Confronted with a whole new set of birds, I'd be grateful for a reasonably effective ID assist that does not require leafing through a field guide or trying to point it out to the guide.
Getting that and an ID shot while actually looking at the bird is well worth splashing out for imho, even if it costs as much or more than an entire trip.

Your words, not mine. I just wondered that a bino weighing 38 odd ounces would cause such a stir.
such a stir possibly because Swarovski have been telling us the importance of lightweight optics for some time now!
Would be really good if it shipped with a harness instead of a neck strap.

I mean 1kg is the last thing a birder wants round his neck if he is crawling thru bushes pmsl

It's scope creep but it's relevant to the AX: Weight DOES matter to some of us. I keep in pretty good shape and have done some respectable hiking, backpacking, trekking etc., including independent (carrying my own kit) walks in Himalayas to almost 19,000'. In past I was also a climber, often humping camping gear, rope, rack, food, water, to get to base of peak. None of this is to brag - simply to say that as I age, more and more, reducing weight around my neck in particular, and on my back/knees in general, IS a priority. Most of my birding is at least 2-3mi, and I often carry lunch, water, camera with big zoom, and sometimes small scope and requisite tripod. If very scenic, maybe a wide-angle lens too. When traveling i typically take all my stuff 'carry-on' and all my optic/birding/essentials in a dedicated daypack.

It's not about being in shape or not - it's about not wanting to wear a brick around my neck all day. Maybe if I was going out for 20-30min to take my dog for a stroll, it wouldn't matter. The problem is I don't HAVE a dog ;-)

It would also not matter if I was taking a cruise maybe? Except I've never done, and don't plan to do, a cruise. I'd own a dog first :LOL:

It's scope creep but it's relevant to the AX: Weight DOES matter to some of us. I keep in pretty good shape and have done some respectable hiking, backpacking, trekking etc., including independent (carrying my own kit) walks in Himalayas to almost 19,000'. In past I was also a climber, often humping camping gear, rope, rack, food, water, to get to base of peak. None of this is to brag - simply to say that as I age, more and more, reducing weight around my neck in particular, and on my back/knees in general, IS a priority. Most of my birding is at least 2-3mi, and I often carry lunch, water, camera with big zoom, and sometimes small scope and requisite tripod. If very scenic, maybe a wide-angle lens too. When traveling i typically take all my stuff 'carry-on' and all my optic/birding/essentials in a dedicated daypack.

Maybe Swarovski will offer porters as optional extras ... probably cheaper than the optics themselves

"None of this is to brag" - but you went into exorbitant detail.
You're right. It sounds pompous. But perhaps you can see that suggesting those unwilling to carry that weight are couch-potatoes, is also a bit annoying?

I should know better than to get into the fray. I think it's a fascinating product. Too big and bulky for me. Great for others with different observation styles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back