• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NE Wales birdingwatching (2 Viewers)

First proper walk today for weeks! 4 miles starting from river dee by rhewl, west of llangollen. Excellent start with a pair of mandarins on the river, followed by a fair few chiffchaffs as I walked uphill towards graig ddu. Tea break to the sound of a cuckoo across the valley, too far to pick out, but I was hoping it would fly out and show itself. It didn't, but fem wheatear sat on the wall and hunted bugs in the grass below. Then a couple of singing willow warblers (think!) in the plantation. Crossing the field above wern ddu 3 more wheatears, males this time. Headed towards moel morfydd and then to cwm tydi, came across Wheatear City, Arizona, loads of them scampering around the fields, perched on the heathers, they must love all the old rabbit burrows! Also in same area plenty of meadow pipits and heard a cuckoo again. Directly above cwm tydi for lunch, mainly meadow pipits, a few wheatear, and a tantalizing glimpse of a possible redstart. Then heard a cuckoo again, this time really close. Instead next sighting was a male hen harrier (grey bop, black fingers) , low flying from cwm tydi down the valley! Treecreeper next in the wood right by cwm tydi. Across the valley to wern ddu and up the path heading back to the plantation, just above wern ddu male redstart perched on fence! Running a bit late now, so quickened the pace, trying not to stop for every chiffchaff, warbler or wheatear. Excellent day out!

4m hike today from llanferres to maeshafn and bryn alyn.

Birdy highlights were a male redstart gathering food for his kiddies near Tir y Coed and then pleasantly surprised to see a single red legged partridge beetling up the lane at Fron Deg farm behind Bryn Alyn.

Nice walk last Wednesday from Loggerheads, headed south to start with then back through Cascade Wood to Tafarn y Gelern and then north past Brithdir Bach and Frith Farm before cutting back to the Leete path.
Plenty of chiffchaffs and buzzards throughout. Treecreeper just north of Cascade Wood. Mistle thrush by Ffrith Farm.
Turned into a bit of a redstart-fest with one in the hedgerow just south of Brithdir Bach and then two entertaining us as we had our lunch just south of Crug Farm.

Also saw 2 oystercatchers the day before in one of the fields behind the airbus factory, Broughton.

Excellent walk today! "Stumbled" across some nesting peregrines so probably shouldn't say where they were? Not sure of the form with that.

When I say "stumbled", I don't mean literally, just as well cos they were 100ft or so up a cliff.

Saw 3, although there are 2 chicks & 2 parents, the chicks have already left the nest and look very close to flying. One of the adults put on an excellent flying show. Even managed some cr*ppy photos of them.

Also found 2 legs (think pigeon) in the vicinity of the peregrines, they were ringed (not the peregrines!) so will post photos later.

Planning to go back with my scope in the next day or two.

Also saw plenty of meadow pipits and a couple of pairs of nice linnets. One of the pairs of linnets were directly below the peregrine nest site.

Back to see the peregrines today. Excellent views of all 4, the adult male is stunning. Both chicks seen flying quite well.
Also saw 1 red legged partridge, linnets, fem redstart.

Hello from Borras Bartolli! :)

One of the best places I know for seeing dipper is near the Alyn pub... if you cross the road from the Alyn there are some steps leading down from the bridge to a path running along the river. Sitting there on a bench quietly I've often seen a dipper streak past :) A passer by told me there were otters there too but I'm not sure what truth there is to that!

I took a walk in Marford Quarry a few months back and saw some yellowish birds eating pine cones(?) up in the branches... what were they? I managed to snap a (not very good) photo which is attached...

Happy birding :)

Kate

Attachments

• ufo.jpg
    ufo.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 60
Hi Kate, yep the black on the top of the head means male siskin.

We had 2 dippers last Wednesday on the Alyn, 1 by loggerheads and a juvenile on the alyn again but at the southern end of cascade wood below llanferres.

I've also heard rumours of otters in the Alyn, but by loggerheads.

We also stumbled across a swarm of tiny toadlets (think they were toads anyway!) on the shady bridle path from loggerheads up towards aberduna. They were spread out over 100 yds or so. At first glance we thought they were just beetles, & with every step they would waddle out of the way. There must have been hundreds poss thousands of them. The amount of spawn laid to produce that many must have been phenominal.

Hi kaia
I've been to nant mill a couple of times but only as a starting point for walks to minera mountain.
The river looks promising for dippers, grey wagtails and probably a few others in the woods.
Nick

Nice 6m walk from loggerheads-ffrith mountain-cilcain today. A bit quiet on the bird front, a couple of buzzards, a mistle thrush, loads of swallows martins + a couple of swifts above ffrith, and a redstart in a hedge below cilcain. Must say the white horse pub in cilcain looked splendid with loads of hanging baskets but not enough time to sample the ale today!

Did a very nice moorland walk from worlds end up to the masts and on thro llandegla forest last thursday. Loads of meadow pipits and v distant views of what I think were grouse. Also a solitary stonechat near the end of the walk.

Also saw 2 painted lady butterflies, first this year, and squillions of lizards on the boardwalk part of the Offa Dyke path coming back down.

Absolute highlight was my first ever adder. Just past the masts, it had obviously "heard" me coming cos it was slithering away & hissing when I saw it, it was only a foot away from my foot. Was too excited/shocked to remember I had my camera. Brill!

Today, Dipper on r alyn by colomendy, flock of c200 fieldfare by America farm, 2 more dippers on r alyn just north of cascade wood.

There was a Slavonian or Black-necked Grebe yesterday at Afonwen Sand Quarry between Mold and Denbigh but too far away for me to be sure which one it was. Also two Little Grebes there.

Afterwards I went to Ysceifiog Lake which had plenty of birds including 7 Gadwall, 16 Shoveler, 10 Teal and 9 Little Grebes. There were two Tree Sparrows nearby at Mynydd-llan.

Today at gresford flash: 1 juv grey heron, 2 cormorant, 3 gc grebes and 10 goosander.
Great to watch the goosander all fishing together.
Also the usual load of gulls, ducks + geese.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back