• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NE Wales birdingwatching (1 Viewer)

Just got back from Gronant. Couldn't find any Little Terns in very strong wind, Reed Buntings, Reed Warblers & Stonechats on the way out along the boardwalk, Ringed Plover on the beach and then a few Sand Martins over on the way back. We'll try again for the Terns later in the year in calmer weather when they'll have chicks to feed and so will hopefully be a bit more active.

Cheers

James

Attachments

• IMG_1053.JPG
    IMG_1053.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1081.JPG
    IMG_1081.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 48
I also visited Gronont on the 20th May, very strong winds, high foaming tide, and NO Little Terns seen.
However, a mixed flock numbering in excess of 100, of Dunlin & Ringed Plovers braving the shoreline.
From the boardwalk back-Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, Linnets, Reed Bunting and Little Egret visible, couldn`t hear anything else due to the wind.

Have the Little Terns been reported back, as I saw many last year on/around the same date.

Just had a look on the Gronant Little Terns Facebook & Twitter, both of which manage to be utterly useless vis-a-vis any kind of information about whether there are actually any birds there or not. I'll try to check in there again next week some time if I get the chance, and I'll report back here, but there's no guarantee I'll get the chance. In the mean time, here's some more World's End Black Grouse from this evening. Went looking for Ring Ouzel, unsuccessfully, but with birds like these on tap I can't really complain!

Cheers

James

Attachments

• IMG_1595.JPG
    IMG_1595.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1599.JPG
    IMG_1599.JPG
    356.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1612.JPG
    IMG_1612.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 31
James
You must have posted the above at the same time as I was Logging out.

Firstly, cracking photos of the Black Grouse, very envious, when I`ve been just open moorland and a crow!

Back to the Little Terns, I too spent an hour or so searching for info "ask a Question" on Facebook doesnt appear to work, all other links, RSPB etc nothing.

There were 2 wardens in a little tin shed, perhaps they are still waiting.
One site (I cant remember which) stated the Terns were seen whilst they were erecting the exclusion fencing!

Richard

I think the fence went up first week of May. Suspect that a visit when the weather's better could be fruitful.

Try for the Grouse back end of the day, that's when my best views have been of late, real close to the road, just keep 'em peeled as you head over the moors.

Cheers

James

A relatively quiet few hours at Flint yesterday, from 6am till 10.00am.

Shelduck c300
Oystercatcher c300
Great Crested Grebe 7
Sand Martin c50
Common Tern c30
Cormorant c200
Sedge Warbler
Mistle Thrush 2
Bullfinch
Common Whitethroat 2

Of interest.........

On my way from Chester to Flint at around 5.30am, there was the regular Oystercatcher feeding along the grass verge adjacent to the Sealand Industrial Eatate, which is on Sealand Road.

These birds have been present here, for at least the last 3 years during the breeding season, and this is leading me to believe, that they are breeding very nearby, quite possibly on an industrial unit rooftop.

On Friday I saw an oystercatcher fly onto the roof of the Chester car supermarket opposite Tesco, is that close to where you saw one?

On Friday I saw an oystercatcher fly onto the roof of the Chester car supermarket opposite Tesco, is that close to where you saw one?

Yes,.......that is exactly where it was, and I have seen 2 birds feeding along the grass verge on previous occasions, so I think, that you've probably identified, that the Chester car supermarket, is where they've been breeding.

A trip to the Point Of Ayr today, principally, to have a look at the Little Tern colony that is at Gronant Dunes.

The peak count that I could manage, was of around 100 birds, but because I was viewing from a little distance away, it wasn't possible for me to see all of the birds that may have been sitting on the ground, so therefore, the actual number of terns present at the colony, may be much higher.

Whilst there, I also noticed that there were Oystercatcher, and Ringed Plover, that appeared to be breeding alongside the terns.

The walk along the footpath that leads through 'The Warren', produced all of the common warbler's, as well as a very 'showy' pair of Stonechat.

Point Of Ayr

Little Tern c100
Common Whitethroat 5
Lesser Whitethroat
Sedge Warbler
Reed Warbler 5
Skylark c30
Wheatear
Ringed Plover 2
Black Tailed Godwit c40
Grasshopper Warbler 2

On the way home, I dropped into the steelworks, to see how the Common Tern colony at Shotton was fairing, and with c200 birds present on the 'Rafts', as well as plenty of terns, that were also feeding along the estuary, things are looking very good, for another successful breeding season.

Whilst there, I also noticed, that there is a very healthy looking Black Headed Gull colony, which have now joined the terns on the rafts, and there is also, Oystercatcher, Canada Goose, Tufted Duck, and Mallard, that have all taken advantage, of the very well protected rafts and islands.

Last edited:
A trip to the Point Of Ayr today, principally, to have a look at the Little Tern colony that is at Gronant Dunes.

The peak count that I could manage, was of around 100 birds, but because I was viewing from a little distance away, it wasn't possible for me to see all of the birds that may have been sitting on the ground, so therefore, the actual number of terns present at the colony, may be much higher.

Ha! More luck than I had the other day then! Can you view the colony via Talacre or do you have to go in from the Presthaven side?

Cheers

James

Ha! More luck than I had the other day then! Can you view the colony via Talacre or do you have to go in from the Presthaven side?

Cheers

James

James,.....

I've never previously viewed this colony, so I'm not sure that I went to the right place here!

And looking at 1 or 2 photos of the colony on the web, they don't even look, remotely like where I went.........Oooops |:$|

I'll tell you what I did,.... and then you can tell me, if I went to the right place.

From Talacre Beach,

I turned right at the lighthouse, and then walked along the sandy beach for about 10 to 15 minutes, until I saw a fenced off area at the edge of the dunes, and through the 'bins', I could read an RSPB sign, that said something like,.......

"Conservation Area, Please try not to disturb the shorebirds"

There were c100 Little Tern within the perimeter fence, and I automatically presumed, that this was the Gronant Dunes colony, but something's telling me, that I was horribly wrong :-C

Gronant is a fair bit west of the lighthouse, and it sounds like you were east of it, so a different area than the one I visited the other day. I'll maybe give Talacre a go over the weekend. I wouldn't necessarily describe attaining a three figure count of Little Terns as "horribly wrong". The colony manages to co-exist with a variety of beach users, with or without dogs, kids, kites, etc so I should think a birder sufficiently far back as to require optics to read the signs on the fence really isn't going to register.

Thanks for the info

James

Gronant is a fair bit west of the lighthouse, and it sounds like you were east of it, so a different area than the one I visited the other day. I'll maybe give Talacre a go over the weekend. I wouldn't necessarily describe attaining a three figure count of Little Terns as "horribly wrong". The colony manages to co-exist with a variety of beach users, with or without dogs, kids, kites, etc so I should think a birder sufficiently far back as to require optics to read the signs on the fence really isn't going to register.

Thanks for the info

James

Thanks James.....

I was clearly looking in the wrong place,..........

But this begs a question, and that is, is the area that I watched at Talacre, that was fenced off, and contained the 100 or so Little terns,..... a separate colony to the main one that is further to the east at Gronant?

The main Little Tern colony is accessed from the road that leads to the main entrance of Presthaven Sands. From here you follow the cycle path West (towards Prestatyn) for about 50 metres and you'll see a path to your right which will take you across the dunes to a viewing platform which overlooks the Tern colony. You should see the wardens shed from here too.

Shotwick Lake Area

Yellow Wagtail 7+ (including 1 individual with a greyish/blue head), which I Didn't think, was a genuine Blue Headed Wagtail.
Swift c30
Swallow c10
House Martin c80
Skylark 5
Meadow Pipit 2
Kestrel 2
Cettis Warbler (heard only)
Oystercatcher 2
Linnet 2
Little Egret
Buzzard 2
Reed Bunting 2
Reed Warbler
Common Whitethroat 6
Sedge Warbler 2
Blackcap 2

Last edited:
Family day out today, nice sum plum Turnstone at Rhos-on-Sea, followed by another crack at the Gronant Little Terns in much better weather. Very disappointed to find the colony deserted. Heard a couple flying over, of which saw just the first, carrying a fish, but no good for showing to my two lads, although Arch was more than happy with two ticks in the form of a Grey Plover on the shore and a couple of Sedge Warblers on the way back. A reeling Grasshopper Warbler by the start of the boardwalk remained hidden. Don't know if the Terns have abandoned the colony for the year or if they'll be back, so if anyone hears anything do please share it here.

Cheers

James

Attachments

• IMG_2989.JPG
    IMG_2989.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 40
Family day out today, nice sum plum Turnstone at Rhos-on-Sea, followed by another crack at the Gronant Little Terns in much better weather. Very disappointed to find the colony deserted. Heard a couple flying over, of which saw just the first, carrying a fish, but no good for showing to my two lads, although Arch was more than happy with two ticks in the form of a Grey Plover on the shore and a couple of Sedge Warblers on the way back. A reeling Grasshopper Warbler by the start of the boardwalk remained hidden. Don't know if the Terns have abandoned the colony for the year or if they'll be back, so if anyone hears anything do please share it here.

Cheers

James

James.......

Did you have a look at Talacre?

Although I was a little distance away from the fenced off area myself, there were other Birder's that were viewing it, quite regularly, and there was c100 Little Tern, that were constantly taking off from inside the fenced off area, circling around, and then all landing back inside the fenced off area again, and they did this, for the whole couple of hours that I was there,..........apologies if I'm wrong, but it looked like a breeding colony to me.

Last edited:
James

Further to my? on 22 May, and your continued search for those elusive Little Terns at Gronant, do you think, as
Peugeot states, they have resited further along the coast at Talacre.

BirdGuides is of little use,"latest"! sighting was 22 May in WORCS. Just down the road from me!!!

Please let me know if they have moved from Gronant.

All the best in your search

Richard

Wouldn't like to say really. They could have moved locally, but if their reason for departure is failure of local food supply then they could have decamped to an entirely other part of the coast. Not sure when I'll get the chance to go looking again, as June through July is pretty packed with birthday parties (spanning several generations), dance performances and rehearsals for such, not to mention that perennial time-thief that is work, but hopefully someone else will get to the bottom of it and post here.

Cheers

James

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back