• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Name a Bird You've Seen 2 (6 Viewers)

The closest I can get to a sunbird is a hummingbird. And the closest I can get to a sunbird with a blue head, is a hummer with a purple back.

So here is
#9659 Purple-backed Sunbeam

1712053824238.png

This bird took me an awful lot of time:
The original plan was to take a nightbus after a pelagic out of Callao, close to Lima, arrive next morning in Trujillo, take a bus to Huamachuco and go to El Molino on the second morning. Unfortunately, someone fell off the boat and the search only resulted no trace at all and the feeling that sank in that someone died, while going off the boat late at night. So too late for a nightbus and a night in Lima instead.

Next morning when we were supposed to end up in Huamachuco, we were still only on the bus to Trujillo, with some delay because kids thought it was a good idea to throw big rocks through the windows of the bus; Once in Trujillo, it turned out there weren't any afternoon buses anymore in the direction of Huamachuco (due to the delay by our smashed windows). So we stayed a night in Trujillo.

Next morning, instead of being in El Molino admiring the Sunbeam, we got the first bus to Huamachuco but once going uphill into the Andes, we were heavily delayed because of famous Peruvian road works. The bus arrived mid-afternoon in Huamachuco. There were, ofcourse, no more buses to El Molino...! We wandered around town mid-afternoon and coincidentally met the wife of the major. She told us the plot of land of the Sunbeam was in fact theirs. We were warmly invited to go and search for the hummer, and after having witnessed the painfull deforestation / clearings all along the road into Huamachuco, she reassuringly told us they protected the Sunbeam plot of land against deforestation. She also told us that the only morning bus to El Molino departed at 2AM...!

On the third day, in the pitch-black dark, we stepped on the bus at 1:50 AM. It was almost full! About 8 very curvy hrs later, we were in El Molino and saw the Sunbeam. We were probably the first in years (besides some expeditions and some bespoke tours) to see this bird. Since then, it has become a lot easier (because of paved roads) to reach El Molino, and many have visited after us. The same (3rd) day, we went back towards Huamachuco. At the turnoff towards Cajamarca in Sausacocha, there was, as usual, not a single trace of any bus going further down the road towards San Marcos (the stake-out for Greater Spinetail in those days). So we spent another night at Sausacocha.

Only late on day 4, we arrived at San Marcos and saw the Spinetail.

Those were the days that days could be lost during travel, while now, everything can be planned per hour...

And the closest I can get to a sunbeam is a sunbird, this one seen during our very last hour in the Udzungwas:
#9660 Rufous-winged Sunbird
If we stay in the rufous theme (no more sunbirds, not even more hummers), I have
# 9661 Rufous-Browed Hemispingus

A bird that took a full day, a very very cold night and some hours in the morning to find and 'clean up' Bosque Unchog, that is until those tapaculos were split!

1712061834151.png

If we stay in the rufous theme (no more sunbirds, not even more hummers), I have
# 9661 Rufous-Browed Hemispingus

A bird that took a full day, a very very cold night and some hours in the morning to find and 'clean up' Bosque Unchog, that is until those tapaculos were split!

View attachment 1569683
Nice bird! I don't have any tanagers lift, but I'm happy to keep the rufous theme, just going at tiny bit larger:
#9662 Rufous Fishing Owl
Seen during an amaxing boat ride meandering through submerged palm trees at Tiwai Island, Sierra Leone.

Sure, have a few more rufousy things, moving on to Cameroon:
#9664 Rufous Cisticola
noooo, that was one still on my list! ;)
1712064177147.png

I'm sure you have plenty more cards to play, but I have to stay mostly in the new world (13sp left) in order to play this game (only 6 Asian species for me to go, and 2 or 3 in Africa), so here is
#9665 Rufous-breasted (aka Leymebamba) Antpitta

Seen near Villa Rica, Peru, but no picture.
If you could stay in the antpitta theme, I can play the last 2 gnateaters... (but no obligations whatsoever!)

noooo, that was one still on my list! ;)

I'm sure you have plenty more cards to play, but I have to stay in the new world (and a bit of Africa) in order to play this game, so here is
#9665 Rufous-breasted (aka Leymebamba) Antpitta

Seen near Villa Rica, Peru, but no picture.
If you could stay in the antpitta theme, I can play the last 2 gnateaters... (but no obligations whatsoever!)

I have very few New World species left (just 2 out of 212 left in total, and no antpitta...).

But I can give you more rufous!
#9666 Solomons Rufous Fantail

I have to give up on the birds with Rufous in the name. I still have something Chestnut, so I have to resort to the description / color of the bird:
Female is dark tan-rufous, brighter on wing, almost all feathers with fine black bars (most conspicuous on upperparts and breast; upperwing with uniformly rufous primaries, basal part of primaries often brighter rufous; underwing rufous, underwing-coverts finely black-barred; bare parts as for male.

#9667 Bernier's Vanga, Masoala Peninsula, Madagascar 2012 (the last true Vanga on the list)

1712066544996.png

I have to give up on the birds with Rufous in the name. I still have something Chestnut, so I have to resort to the description / color of the bird:
Female is dark tan-rufous, brighter on wing, almost all feathers with fine black bars (most conspicuous on upperparts and breast; upperwing with uniformly rufous primaries, basal part of primaries often brighter rufous; underwing rufous, underwing-coverts finely black-barred; bare parts as for male.

#9667 Bernier's Vanga, Masoala Peninsula, Madagascar 2012 (the last true Vanga on the list)
Well, that one was on my list ;)
But I'm fine with chestnut as a color - especially with a really handsome laugher (actually more rufous ears though...)!
#9668 Chestnut-eared Laughingthrush

ch eared lthrush.jpg

Well, that one was on my list ;)
But I'm fine with chestnut as a color - especially with a really handsome laugher (actually more rufous ears though...)!
#9668 Chestnut-eared Laughingthrush
That's one that is severely threatened and I almost feel I should go now before all are being captured by the relentless (sad) bird trade...

I have
#9669 Northern Chestnut-breasted Wren

I don't have a picture, but I have one of its Cyphorhinus congener Musician Wren ssp. salvini (from E-Andes in Ecuador), which is imho worth a 5-way split:

1712067551388.png

That's one that is severely threatened and I almost feel I should go now before all are being captured by the relentless (sad) bird trade...

I have
#9669 Northern Chestnut-breasted Wren
Yes, horribly sad with the bird trade in Vietnam and Indonesia :cry:

Keeping with the chestnut theme, this one frpm Assam:
#9670 Chestnut-backed Laughingthrush

Yes, horribly sad with the bird trade in Vietnam and Indonesia :cry:

Keeping with the chestnut theme, this one frpm Assam:
#9670 Chestnut-backed Laughingthrush
I don't have a Laughingthrush anymore, so the closest I can get is a Thrush, readily found on the same 'circuit' of NE India but in Arunachal Pradesh:
#9671 Himalayan Thrush

A dull brown bird with a pale breast, I can only link with:
#9673 Cundinamarca Antpitta.

link to ebird picture checking my imagination linking these species ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back