• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mystery bird UAE (1 Viewer)

fairwinz

Alan Arthur Rawlinson
Not my picture, but still very curious to know what bird this is? The picture is poor as it was snapped on a roundabout in the Emirates, but there is a flash of white underneath and red/brown plumage. Blackish head with grey/green wings. Suggestions have included starling and hoope.B5465C20-A54A-4D05-ADA5-D616CFA94F24_1_201_a.jpeg
Many thanks for any help!

Thanks Andy, I didn't know that. I understand the species can be eruptive, any chance that it may occur as a vagrant to the region?
I doubt it - although there are some records from other emirates, I imagine they're either escaped cage birds or originate from the Sharjah population. There are also records from the Muscat area and Kuwait, but as the nearest wild populations are in the Horn of Africa yet there are no records from the other side of the Red Sea in Yemen and Saudi Arabia, they must be assumed to be of captive origin.

The UAE has an issue not just with a variety of escaped cage birds but deliberate introduction of exotic species, such as Arabian Partridge and Chukar around Jebel Hafeet in Al Ain, Pin-tailed Sandgrouse in the Saih-al-Salem desert near Dubai and even Long-tailed Glossy Starling around Al Qudra. The last area has become a bit of an open-air zoo, with large numbers of exotic waterfowl mingling with genuine wild birds.

Superb Starling and Pin-tailed Sandgrouse were added to category C a few years back, joining Scaly-breasted Munia and Golden-backed Weaver. Red Avadavat and Streaked Weaver are also regularly seen and may be placed in this category at some point in the future, and Abu Dhabi has a thriving population of Southern Red Bishop.

This all makes sightings of Starlings hard to assess. The three recent records of Wattled Starling have been deemed to be genuine vagrants but an sighting of Violet-backed Starling was never submitted as a wild bird, although it behaved like one, presumably because of the distance it would have to strayed from its normal range.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed reply Andy, fascinating.
What is the coverage (in terms of active birders) in Yemen and SA compared to UAE? I suppose it is a bit like comparing apples and pears in terms of the size of those countries relative to the UAE, but perhaps fewer observers may account for a lack of patterns regards vagrancy between the Horn of Africa and the Middle East? I know Socotra has had some incredible records, but it doesn't sound like the easiest place to visit!
I'm very keen to visit the Middle East at some point, it sounds like UAE would be an excellent introduction to the region - maybe I will even take up Mr Campbell's kind offer of a tour.

I would think Yemen is very poorly covered. The same is true of SW Saudi Arabia but this is improving - Greg Askew is doing a great job, along with others, in trying to bring Saudi birders together, and build up a better picture of species distribution.

Yes, accepting OC's invitation would be a good idea! Just to warn you that Abu Dhabi continues to have some loopy Covid measures in place, although Dubai and the other emirates are more relaxed. Many of the better species are found in Fujairah and Ras-al-Khaimah, which are quite a drive from Abu Dhabi and more easily accessible from Dubai.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back