• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My new interest (1 Viewer)

kevboy

United Kingdom
Hello everyone. I have ( late in life) discovered an interest in my Garden visitors and am eager to learn much more about them, I live in Greater Manchester and have a small compact well stocked garden. I have mainly shrubs, a few conifers, some Laurels. Ivy walls, quite a few Clematis but mainly flowers in tubs and pots and a couple of arches bedecked with honeysuckle. The Garden is very pretty and attracts Robins, wrens and blackbirds that have all nested over the last few years.

I have managed to persuade Blue Tits to nest in boxes for last two years after years of trial and error with box sizes , positioning etc.
presently, Tits are building again but something strange has happened today. I watched a tit pick a leaf off a honeysuckle and take it into the box, but later I discovered that the leaf has been used to block the box entrance. Can anyone tell me why this would happen please? The hole is not too large so that can be discarded as a possible reason. regards kev

Hi Kev, welcome to birdforum from all the staff here, we hope you enjoy the site and feel free to join in where ever you wish.
Can't answer your question though
cheers,
Andy

Hi Kev and a warm welcome from me too. The only thing I can think of is that he's trying to disguise the hole, so no rivals will spot it. Maybe ask in our Garden Bird forum: Garden Birds, Bird Feeding & Nestboxes as some of the members there may have seen something similar.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

You have baffled me. I’ve not witnessed anything like that with our blue tit boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back