• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moths in October (1 Viewer)

Nerine

I thought I'd find a thread for October but as there doesn't seem to be one I may as well start it.
I found this lovely Palpita vitrealis in the trap this morning ... I nearly didn't bother to trap, fog and drizzle - but a good few moths around so I'm glad I did!

Nerine

Attachments

• Palpita vitrealis.JPG
    Palpita vitrealis.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 79
Great moth Nerine - sometimes you just get lucky.

Thanks, Rob. I've had very few 'new' moths for the garden this year but I have never caught this one before so it was quite exciting - and such a beauty too. I've now learnt not to let the rain put you off trapping!

Nerine

October hasn't been great so far. I've not caught any migrants yet. But the trap is out tonight, so here's hoping...

October hasn't been great so far. I've not caught any migrants yet. But the trap is out tonight, so here's hoping...

I went outside to see if the temperature was worth putting the trap out, I decided that since I could see my own breath it was most likely too cold! Trap remaining in the garage for the time being.

I was pleasantly surprised this morning:

Black Rustic - 1
Blair's Shoulder Knot - 2 (pic) NFM
Sallow - 1
Copper Underwing - 1
Common Marbled Carpet - 2
Large YU - 1
Lesser YU - 2

Looking on Birdguides, it seems last night was pretty decent for rarities around the coastal sites.

Andy M.

Attachments

• Blair's Shoulder Knot 20121008 Garden.JPG
    Blair's Shoulder Knot 20121008 Garden.JPG
    462.8 KB · Views: 79
while on Mallorca I came across

Silver Y
The Vestral
Crimson Speckled Footman

I was there for birding, but I also note and photograph moths, butterflies and dragon/damselflies whenever I'm out.

Was surprised that any moths were in the trap this morning, and not a bad catch. 10 moths of 6 species:
Pink-barred Sallow (nfm)
2 Red-lined Quaker (nfm)
2 Blair's Shoulder-knot (nfm)
Green-brindled Crescent
2 Large Wainscot
Light Brown Apple Moth

DSC_4409.JPGDSC_4404.JPGDSC_4414.JPG

Last edited:
Like Tuesday night there were 10 moths of 6 species in the trap this morning:
Yellow-line Quaker (nfm)
Red-line Quaker
Large Wainscot
Silver Y
5 Blair's Shouler-knot
Light Brown Apple Moth

DSC_4420.JPG

Warming up for take off

Thought I had seen one before, but actually a new one for me yesterday:

2245 Green-brindled Crescent Allophyes oxyacanthae

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

Attachments

• 2245 Green-brindled Crescent Allophyes oxyacanthae.jpg
    2245 Green-brindled Crescent Allophyes oxyacanthae.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 91
  • Warming up.jpg
    Warming up.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 70
Strangely enough, I had a Green-brindled Crescent last night and it was NFM as well...! I also had a Red-green Carpet, Large and Lesser YU, but that was about it.

Not sure if I'll trap again this year now.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back