• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Most dangerous animals encountered whilst birding (1 Viewer)

yeah, it's hard for me to consider rattlesnakes as dangerous when usually they become the highlight of my trip!

I agree. I will also add that after 15 years of researching venomous snakes I have not once felt threatened or in any danger. Their ill-deserved reputation would be laughable if it weren't so tradgic...

My most dangerous encounter... probably wasp nests.

The most dangerous encounter I had while watching birds was with a human, actually three of them. Long story short, I was working in California researching Acorn Woodpeckers. I was spending 3-6 hours in a blind observing feeding behaviors (as cooperative breeders, Acorn Woodpeckers live in large kin-based groups in which many of the members, both breeders and nonbreeding helpers, assist with duties such as feeding the young). I was in blind with a spotting scope aimed at a nest cavity high up in a tree. My blind was positioned close to a rural road that went through the research reserve I was working at. After a couple hours in the blind I heard voices from the road demanding that I come out of the blind right away. After a bit of arguing and saying I was working and busy, I stepped out of my blind only to see three police officers positioned about 8 feet away from me, each with their gun drawn and pointed directly at me!!! It turned out a bicyclist rode past my blind and mistook my spotting scope for a sniper rifle scope and called the police. After being handcuffed, searched, and put in the back of a cop car it took about 20 minutes to explain the situation to the cops. They didn't believe me until they found my notebook filled with field notes. It was quite the experience to say the least! Check out the front page of the local newspaper documenting the incident.

Attachments

• CarmelValleyPineCone.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 87
I went to the Everglades for a day several years ago; I parked the hire car and strolled over to a sign by a large pond to read it. I was at the sign and was startled by a loud "hiss" at my feet. I quickly looked down at a large alligator less than one foot (no exageration) from my feet with its mouth open; I must have been close to treading on it! There were three of them in a group - the largest alligators I saw all day - I still wonder how I didn't see them!

cheers, a

What did the sign say? I bet it said "Beware, Alligators are about one foot from you as you are reading this";)

Some while ago, there used to be a mirror that Sir Peter Scott had originally put up in the entrance hall to the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust at Slimbridge. The inscription underneath it read "You are looking at the most dangerous animal in the world".

My second ever King Cobra - again on my patch - along with pix from me and much better from my ice-cool birding neighbour Dylan : Here

Cheers

Mike

PS Gun-toting cops - very scary! lucky they didn't just nail you inside the hide!

The most dangerous encounter I had while watching birds was with a human, actually three of them. Long story short, I was working in California researching Acorn Woodpeckers. I was spending 3-6 hours in a blind observing feeding behaviors (as cooperative breeders, Acorn Woodpeckers live in large kin-based groups in which many of the members, both breeders and nonbreeding helpers, assist with duties such as feeding the young). I was in blind with a spotting scope aimed at a nest cavity high up in a tree. My blind was positioned close to a rural road that went through the research reserve I was working at. After a couple hours in the blind I heard voices from the road demanding that I come out of the blind right away. After a bit of arguing and saying I was working and busy, I stepped out of my blind only to see three police officers positioned about 8 feet away from me, each with their gun drawn and pointed directly at me!!! It turned out a bicyclist rode past my blind and mistook my spotting scope for a sniper rifle scope and called the police. After being handcuffed, searched, and put in the back of a cop car it took about 20 minutes to explain the situation to the cops. They didn't believe me until they found my notebook filled with field notes. It was quite the experience to say the least! Check out the front page of the local newspaper documenting the incident.

Carmel Valley Pine Cone ... great name for a paper! :t:

For me, a full attack Blue Jay. Unrelenting, fearless and a regular spring/summer resident in my history until last year in a favorite warbler stop over. He was very well known in these parts, and would wait until you couldn't see him and then watch out!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back