• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monitor recommendations (1 Viewer)

BarryH

I'm looking for a 24" widescreen monitor to replace an old style standard aspect 19" monitor.

Can anyone please advise on what to look out for when buying or have any recommendations for 24" monitors?

Hi

Just bought (from Ebuyer) a new Philips 23 inch LED (234EL) with full HD 1080 and connected it via HDMI to my new Mac mini - all I can say is WOW!!

Cheers

Stuart R

A lot depends on how serious you are on image editing Barry. For any accurate work you should avoid monitors with TN panels for a start. My best advice is not to skimp on buying a monitor, for anything decent you are looking at around the £500 + mark. Look for something with a wide colour gamut. You should also be looking to buy a monitor that calibrates up nicely. Makes that come to mind are Eizo, NEC and some of the high end Dell's. Best panels are S-IPS followed by S-PVA/MVA.If you are not so concerned with image editing then you can of course pick-up cheaper monitors.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a 24" widescreen monitor to replace an old style standard aspect 19" monitor.

Can anyone please advise on what to look out for when buying or have any recommendations for 24" monitors?

Have a look at the Samsung range, some good deals to be had even at PC World, fantastic quality especially when colour balance is critical such as for photo editing.:t:

There have been a lot of monitor threads on http://forums.dpreview.com and some of the people commenting really seem to know their stuff.

I too am looking for a new monitor, and am trying to find some kind of sensible compromise between expenditure and image quality/calibration. I found a lot of good information on that site, including links to fairly in-depths tests of various displays. Also, the general discussions gave me some models to research in more depth. In the end I decided to postpone my decision for a number of reasons, so I can't give you a personal recommendation.

Andrea

I have to say that I am impressed with Dell in more ways than one - at work, and in the home office together. :gh:

I think it depends on many things - what you wish to use it for - we use CAD (Computer Aided Design) AutoCAD on our PC so we need a large screen - amongst other similar packages to do with drawing office tools. :t:

So....if it was a general day to day texting or Forums like BF, I would use a smaller monitor which would be suitable for that purpose alone :t:
We have 19 inch here and it does fine for us.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of the same hunt... and am very likely to end up with the Dell U2410. The main alternative at this price mark (<£500 ) is the Asus PA246q. Both are IPS monitors and both come pre-calibrated. Strengths/weaknesses in both, but this is relative to what is a completely different level of performance so both will knock spots of anything you're using at the moment.

I'm in the middle of the same hunt... and am very likely to end up with the Dell U2410. The main alternative at this price mark (<£500 ) is the Asus PA246q. Both are IPS monitors and both come pre-calibrated. Strengths/weaknesses in both, but this is relative to what is a completely different level of performance so both will knock spots of anything you're using at the moment.
I have a Dell U2410 and can highly recommend it for image editing - for the money its takes some beating IMO. I do think it is better to calibrate it yourself to get the best out if it rather than rely on the pre-calibration's - I use eye one display2 and it calibrates up brilliantly (much better than using one of the pre-sets).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back