• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minimum focus distance for Canon 100-400mm lens (1 Viewer)

Craig Thayer

What are the guidelines for deciding which minimum focus distance (1.8 m vs 6.5 m) for the Canon 100-400mm IS lens?

Obviously I assume that if the bird is less than 6.5 m away one should use 1.8m and conversely if the bird is more than 6.5 m away use that setting. However are there exceptions to these "rules'' ? I believe the lens focuses more quickly(i.e hunts less) at the 6.5 m setting so that might be a factor.

THANKS

Craig Thayer

you have it sorted from your post above Craig,
If your on 6.5 and a bird come closer just go to 1.8 .
I mostly set my lenses to the 6.5 range as the focus is far quicker but it can catch you out sometimes .
Rob.

As others have said, generally if I'm after birds I set at 6.5 to improve speed of focusing. It only takes a fraction of a second to flip the switch to 1.8 if something comes close. And yes, I do get caught out sometimes as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back