• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Miner and Cinclodes, Argentina (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
First 3 photos are a miner from a river valley 3000 m a.s.l. in La Rioja province (on the road to Laguna Brava if that rings a bell). The tail (clearly visible even on sitting bird) seems to suggest Rufous-banded, but there is not much ... rufous in the rest of the bird. My book doesn't have for example Creamy-rumped imaged, that might be similar?

The last photo is a Cinclodes ... I know, that's an unpopular genus to ID, but this one is so nicelly pictured. Is it dark-bellied or gray-flanked. Location is by the spring coming from Laguna Nina Encantada near Las Lenas, cca 2000 m a.s.l. in south Mendoza province, should be in range for both. Thanks!

Attachments

• _kut1.jpg
    _kut1.jpg
    716.4 KB · Views: 23
  • _kut2.jpg
    _kut2.jpg
    646.3 KB · Views: 17
  • _kut3.jpg
    _kut3.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 22
  • _kut4.jpg
    _kut4.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 23
Exactly why I did not give much of a judgment on these. But go from the opus page to the gallery and check out also the Lynx gallery: it may show that the bill on your cinclodes is too strong for gray-flanked. I do not at this time have time to go image hunting.

Niels

So just for the record, we made an intensive search of images and are now quite certain that (barring huge mis-IDs all over the internet) the miner is definitely Rufous-banded. The Cinclodes seems "resonably" dark-bellied, but I won't sweat about it, that was just more out of curiosity. Maybe I will get a better picture next time, it's a place where I will hopefully get again in a couple of months and the Cinclodes-es are always around.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back