• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Merlin? Tehran. IR (1 Viewer)

Kestrel for me too, despite trying to make an identification from a very poor photograph.

I have tried to get any more detail out, but not really possible; I think the marked black area is tip of outer tail feather, which is too short for Merlin

Attachments

• falcon bf.jpg
    falcon bf.jpg
    675.9 KB · Views: 60
It's clealy not a pallidus Merlin IMO, which Peter suggested earlier to explain away flank and tail pattern since, there are 2 major anomalies which readily exclude that taxon 1) the OP has a distinct (broken) moustachial stripe, absent in pallidus and 2) the underpart streaking is way too strong; reduced to fine shaft streaks particularly across breast in pallidus.

I see no reason why its not a Kestrel, the suggested anomalous head pattern a result of photographic effect.

Grahame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back