• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manitoba, Carman 01 June-19 June 2011 (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Manitoba - Carman 01 June – 19 June 2011

A good few weeks of birding. The last week was made more difficult by worms hanging from the trees. They were a huge distraction as they would land on my camera and myself, a lot of time was spent trying to avoid the worms and brushing them off. They have stripped some trees of leaves and reduced the amount of leaves on other trees. My last outing was cut short due to the vast numbers of worms. I won’t go again until later in the week when I hope the worms have finished their cycle.
The Kingfishers disappeared for over a week, then were back. Heard them chattering one day then saw one fly over. I then heard a different chattering, short stuttering chatters rather than the long chatters that I usually hear them make. The chattering was getting louder so I stopped in an open spot and watched. The Kingfisher passed unseen, but, a hawk flew over the small open area so I am guessing the Kingfisher was sounding the alarm and drawing the hawk away from what I believe is their nesting site. A few minutes later the Kingfisher passed going in the opposite direction making its usual call.
On my return journey the Kingfishers were quite agitated, chattering and flying frantically in the area that I suspect their nest was located. I was able to get a few pictures of them as they seemed to be too distracted to pay much attention to me.
The kingfishers were gone the next day so I suspect their nest was destroyed.
A Great Crested Flycatcher attacked our windows repeatedly for several hours on the 6th and 7th of June. It was so bizarre.
Early in June I was walking the trail, listening to the many birds singing, it was so peaceful. I was suddenly startled by a loud hiss close by, I turned to locate the source and saw a large brown furry animal leap toward me in the brush, my first thought was Cougar, but, as I got the animal into full view I realized it was a deer. I must have really startled the deer as it leaped toward me before spinning about and running in the opposite direction. I did not know deer could make such a noise.
We spent several hours driving back roads south west of town. We saw quite a few birds and added a few new birds to our list.
We went to Fort Whyte twice but other than hundreds of Swallows there was really very little in the way of birds and waterfowl. A trip to Stephenfield Park was unsuccessful as only the boat launch was open, the rest of the park was closed, most likely due to high water.
Song Sparrow
Lark Sparrow
Olive Sided Flycatcher
Pine Siskin
Rose Breasted Grosbeak
Red Winged Hawk
Cedar Waxwing
Belted Kingfisher
Bobolink
Tree Swallow
Rusty Blackbird
Vesper Sparrow
Merlin
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Brown Headed Cowbird
Barn Swallow
Black Billed Magpie
Cliff Swallow
Eastern Kingbird
Western Kingbird
Western Meadowlark
Ruby Throated Hummingbird
Great Crested Flycatcher
Yellow Rumped Warbler
Eastern Towhee
Clay Colored Sparrow
Yellow Bellied Flycatcher
Blue Headed Vireo
Red Eyed Vireo
Chipping Sparrow
American Redstart
Hermit Thrush
Common Nighthawk
Common Yellowthroat
Hairy Woodpecker
Alder Flycatcher
Least Flycatcher
Black and White Warbler
Yellow Bellied Sap Sucker
Merlin
White Breasted Nuthatch
Robin
House Finch
Baltimore Oriole
Gold Finch
House sparrow
Brown Thrasher
Grey Catbird

Attachments

• belted kingfisher IMG_8106.jpg
    belted kingfisher IMG_8106.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 66
  • cedar waxwing IMG_7897.jpg
    cedar waxwing IMG_7897.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 56
  • clay colored sparrow IMG_7382.jpg
    clay colored sparrow IMG_7382.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Red Tailed Hawk IMG_8285.jpg
    Red Tailed Hawk IMG_8285.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 62
  • great crested flycatcher IMG_7778.jpg
    great crested flycatcher IMG_7778.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 69
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back