• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2024 (3 Viewers)

A walk this morning along C'an Cuarassa gave us 2 Spotless Starlings on the roof of the "Pins 16" Villa which eventually flew out of sight behind the trees, next to the Villa on the opposite side of the road. Also along the track we had Kestrels, lots of Stonechats, a single Whinchat, 1 female Marsh Harrier and several Corn Bunting. We had a quick walk around the pools at the top of the road but not much there. Lots of Nightingales, Cetti's Warbler and a lone Hoopoe.

May venture up to the Boquer later this afternoon after a much needed lunch break.

Of note yesterday was a Sedge Warbler in full song in the small strip of trees in the car park near to the Marina on the sea front in Puerto Pollensa. Was not expecting to see one of those there!

Does anyone please have any recommendations for Stone Curlew in Puerto Pollensa? The field where we used to get them regularly (along Cami Boquer) has unfortunately been gravelled over now. We often hear them on a night but can't quite pin down where they are.

Regards,
Rach

A walk this morning along C'an Cuarassa gave us 2 Spotless Starlings on the roof of the "Pins 16" Villa which eventually flew out of sight behind the trees, next to the Villa on the opposite side of the road. Also along the track we had Kestrels, lots of Stonechats, a single Whinchat, 1 female Marsh Harrier and several Corn Bunting. We had a quick walk around the pools at the top of the road but not much there. Lots of Nightingales, Cetti's Warbler and a lone Hoopoe.

May venture up to the Boquer later this afternoon after a much needed lunch break.

Of note yesterday was a Sedge Warbler in full song in the small strip of trees in the car park near to the Marina on the sea front in Puerto Pollensa. Was not expecting to see one of those there!

Does anyone please have any recommendations for Stone Curlew in Puerto Pollensa? The field where we used to get them regularly (along Cami Boquer) has unfortunately been gravelled over now. We often hear them on a night but can't quite pin down where they are.

Regards,
Rach
Stone Curlew : Last few years we have had them in the fields opposite the school/leisure centre on the way to Boquer and also from the Finca at Boquer looking into the valley. Hope this helps.

We are four sleeps away from our visit.....

Last edited:
Stone Curlew : Last few years we have had them in the fields opposite the school/leisure centre on the way to Boquer and also from the Finca at Boquer looking into the valley. Hope this helps.

We are four sleeps away from our visit...

Brilliant, thank you. We'll check those out. I always look from the Finca but have never managed to pick them out. Maybe I just need more patience!

We go home on Friday morning unfortunately. Hopefully we'll get a few more species before we go home.

Biel and Toni somehow braved this biting wind to be at the tower, Albercutx, one of the coldest places in Mallorca I reckon, and they logged:
1 Red kite
1 Black kite
4 Marsh harrier
1 Montagu’s harrier
2 Hobby
Thanks lads for letting me publish the results and congratulations for surviving.
It’s still cold now down south but I just managed to see a male Pied flycatcher on my walk to Parc Mondragó, a very handsome bird, topped only by the Collared flycatcher, one of which is still present near Capdepera today.
At Mondragó this morning, a Red-rumped swallow was seen. Happily, I have seen one this year, otherwise I would have been a bit miffed at just missing one on my own doorstep.
Hoopoes are very much in evidence with lots being seen today. They seem to chase each other round and round, not looking where they are going, I nearly ran one over today. That would have been terrible.
It’s some kind of mating ritual, perhaps competing males, I don’t know, but it’s certainly very aggressive.
At least 10 seen today.
No other news yet.
Mike

We are four sleeps away from our visit.....
Thank you very much for the recommendation. We had a pair of Stone Curlew in the field opposite the School. We tend to walk to the Boquer through the avenue of pines so have only ever looked at that end of the field but today we walked to the other end and saw them 😊.

Many thanks, Rach

Antspicer
Collared flycatcher is a very rare bird in Mallorca, although this year there seems to have been an influx.
It preferably needs a full description but if you could give as many details as possible, that would be appreciated, like date and time seen, exact location etc.
Well done anyway, a terrific record.
I even caught a glimpse of one myself today, too brief to be sure.
Mike

Antspicer
Collared flycatcher is a very rare bird in Mallorca, although this year there seems to have been an influx.
It preferably needs a full description but if you could give as many details as possible, that would be appreciated, like date and time seen, exact location etc.
Well done anyway, a terrific record.
I even caught a glimpse of one myself today, too brief to be sure.
Mike
Hi, sure thing it was my first ever collared flycatcher stood out a lot with that full collar! It was seen just next to the wine shop Vinyes Mortitx at 10.30am today 24th April 2024. Anymore info you need?

Just a quick note to thank Pep for representing us birders on his recent house-call to ratify the record of a Collared flycatcher.
The feedback from the owners was very positive and I now quite understand the reasons for not wanting hoards of muddy-booted birders invading their lovely home.
It’s really gratifying when it all works out so well but I did feel very sorry for other birders who couldn’t go, especially Biel who is doing so well in the Bigyear and may be in with a shout for breaking the all-time record.
Happily, as you have seen, another Collared flycatcher was seen at Mortitx today so there is every chance of catching up with one.
Mike

Hi Antspicer.
Just your name, and length of time observed, although I do feel these days with such an excellent photos, it’s jus a formality.
You can send me a personal message if you don’t want your name published.
Well done you! A lifer.
Great record too.
The annual report won’t be published for just over one year, but if you would care to contact me then, I will send you a copy at no cost.
All very exciting at the moment.
Mike

Spending some time closer to home has been delightful, despite all this rarity action.
A gentle stroll can be very rewarding in a very ordinary way.
Great birds are easy to take for granted when seen often, so it’s a joy to look at them in a fresh way.
There are lots of other things to enjoy too, butterflies, moths, dragonflies, wild plants and flowers, and trees. Even the sky looks great.
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1276.jpeg
    IMG_1276.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
  • DSCN9801.jpeg
    DSCN9801.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • DSCN9786.jpeg
    DSCN9786.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • DSCN9790.jpeg
    DSCN9790.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 11
  • DSCN9665.jpeg
    DSCN9665.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
Thank you very much for the recommendation. We had a pair of Stone Curlew in the field opposite the School. We tend to walk to the Boquer through the avenue of pines so have only ever looked at that end of the field but today we walked to the other end and saw them 😊.

Many thanks, Rach
Only too pleased to help, glad you got them :)

Excitement is now in full flow and is in danger of overflowing my cup and Caths vodka glass.

Our plans are are almost complete thanks to Ian Pollenca who has given us great directions for the Fishermans Walk at Cala San Vicenc we were previously walking no where this area !

We are also up to speed on the Albercutx and its raptor watch it will be our first trip up to this area.

Targets are firmly in place with the addition of Short-toed Lark thanks again to Ian who kindly mentioned it in passing. Targets are great but we lose little sleep over them if we don't hit them as we find that something else will usually appear that is unexpected.

One target bird however does deserve a mention and that is Jynx Torquilla which has truly been a Jinx.

Excellent days birding at Finca Son Real. Started off with a small flock of about 9 Bee-eaters which may have just come in off the sea, heard before being seen. We then picked up a Herman's Tortoise. Highlights were lots of Woodchat Shrikes, a couple of Red legged partridge and a Balearic warbler. Finally we picked up a Pied Flycather and a Common Redstart which were knocking about together. Off to the Boquer tomorrow, last time I was there was 1995! Looking forward to not having to get past the large pack of chained dogs!!

Sounds like great days all round!
Many thanks everyone for putting the news on here so quickly, that’s truly excellent as it allows those birders who need Collared flycatcher and other goodies, a good chance of connecting.
Things are definitely hotting up.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back