• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (2 Viewers)

W're looking forward to resuming our annual May trips to Cala San Vicente next week and catching up on spring birds.

Do you still go to the Albercutz Tower, Mike?

Nice day today, walked 16km from S'Albufera then back to Can Picafort. Some nice Monarch Butterfly's around. All the usual suspects Bird wise. Thought a Temminks at Depuradora was a good find but apparently they are quite regular here?? Golden Eagle was spectacular. Golden Orioles at S'Albufera and Ses Puntas, 20 Bee-eaters over S'Albufera from Depuradora platform, the another showy Bird close by. Plenty of Corn Bunts (didn't get them last Sept) around Depuradora. No Tawny Pipt tho? Are they regular?
Off to Boquer tomorrow. Night.

Attachments

• 20230502_132639.jpg
    20230502_132639.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Nice day today, walked 16km from S'Albufera then back to Can Picafort. Some nice Monarch Butterfly's around. All the usual suspects Bird wise. Thought a Temminks at Depuradora was a good find but apparently they are quite regular here?? Golden Eagle was spectacular. Golden Orioles at S'Albufera and Ses Puntas, 20 Bee-eaters over S'Albufera from Depuradora platform, the another showy Bird close by. Plenty of Corn Bunts (didn't get them last Sept) around Depuradora. No Tawny Pipt tho? Are they regular?
Off to Boquer tomorrow. Night.
Temminck‘s Stint is a scarce winter visitor and migrant (somewhere between 10 and 100 birds each year). Certainly a good find anyway and a bird I still needed on my Mallorca list this year!

A big fall overnight around my manor with many Balearics flycatchers and Turtle doves in evidence.
A walk around Mondragó might prove beneficial so I will see if I get the chance.
Hopefully, the arrivals will have included one my my favourites, the European Nightjar.
Good luck to all birders for today, there are quite a few of you visiting this week from around the globe.
Mike

Last edited:
I had planned a trip to the central plains today but seeing the threatening dark sky and the wind decided to stay local. I had a quiet walk along the Llenaire road and then to Can Cuarassa seeing very little. I then moved on to Albufereta and as I arrived Pep was leaving. He told me about the slender billed gulls which I was able to find on Sa Barcassa pond. With their beautiful pink blush in the breast and their elegant proportions they stood out well against the various yellow leggeds and auduoins. Later in the afternoon I took a walk down the lane at Gotmar. There were several spotted flycatchers and common redstart and a single pied flycatcher. Despite looking for an hour I could not find the roller from the weekend. It was now time for a well earned pint.
Dave you have made reference to "a pint" several times now, is this a new bird for the Island has it a latin name ? Newcasilious Brownous? Maybe?

I'll get my coat......................

A big fall overnight around my manor with many Balearics warblers and Turtle doves in evidence.
A walk around Mondragó might prove beneficial so I will see if I get the chance.
Hopefully, the arrivals will have included one my my favourites, the European Nightjar.
Good luck to all birders for today, there are quite a few of you visiting this week from around the globe.
Mike
I hope the nightjars are waiting for me - We're back on Monday:)

Hi everybody
Just came back home to Sweden from my first visit to Mallorca and I most certainly will come back. Had a very good time with the birds and my camera. Was recommended this thread by a nice guy I met at Depuradora and all your knowledge and experience about birds and Mallorca was very helpful to me. I thank you all for that. I´m sure I met some of you during my stay.
I wish you all good luck in your birding and add a couple of photos from my trip.
Stefan

Attachments

• Mallorca - Albufera (6).JPG
    Mallorca - Albufera (6).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • Mallorca - Albufera (13).JPG
    Mallorca - Albufera (13).JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
  • Mallorca - Albufera (14)a.JPG
    Mallorca - Albufera (14)a.JPG
    722 KB · Views: 22
  • Mallorca - Albufera Depuradora (18).JPG
    Mallorca - Albufera Depuradora (18).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
  • Mallorca - Es Blanquer (6).JPG
    Mallorca - Es Blanquer (6).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • Mallorca - Puig de l´Ofre (21).JPG
    Mallorca - Puig de l´Ofre (21).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • Mallorca - Son Real (6).JPG
    Mallorca - Son Real (6).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • Mallorca - Punta de n´Amer (1).JPG
    Mallorca - Punta de n´Amer (1).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I’ll be in Majorca again at end of May so hope to be able to contribute some sightings to the thread then, but can someone kindly share a location pin for the Depuradora platform that’s mentioned a lot please? Is it south down the long track through S’Albufera? Thanks Chris.

Fabulous photos stelun, well done. Some super birds too.

I meant a fall of Balearic flycatchers, not Balearic warblers. Sorry for the typo.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back