• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (5 Viewers)

Hi John and Christine,
Of course I remember you!
You gave me some lovely biscuits and we did indeed while away the time talking about travels and birds.
Christine was amazing at pointing out all the Monarch butterflies that were heading our way.
I look forward very much to meeting up again so just let me know when you are coming south, and I’m sure we can meet.
Mike

A lovely picnic today with Jane and I’m delighted that she chose Maria de La Salut for a suitable location.
It certainly was.
We called in at Vilafranca where I had one sighting of a distant Red-footed falcon although the views were very far away so I won’t be submitting the record.
Pep turned up so I was able to congratulate him in person for his magnificent sighting of the Ortolan bunting yesterday.
On to Maria and a very streaky falcon flew over our heads before I had time to get to my optics. I will look into it and see what I think it was.
Stone curlews were calling, loads of Corn bunting, Stonechat, Red kite, Marsh harrier, Short-toed larks and five or six Lesser kestrels.
The photos are poor for the simple reason that I will not disturb the birds in any way, so I’m always on maximum zoom where the quality falls off a cliff.
There are four birds on the pylon in the photo which, together with the overhead cables, is the best place to see the birds from the paths which intersect the fields.
The sandwiches were superb.
I love the white lands, not to everyone’s taste I know, but big open spaces with uninterrupted views is the best environment for me. I love the sense of freedom.
Mike

Attachments

• 9080D1B9-1FE2-47B1-A8CE-9781912B82B6.jpeg
    9080D1B9-1FE2-47B1-A8CE-9781912B82B6.jpeg
    509.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 64D8A94C-3BE8-4FD2-9FBC-E8F70E9FC7CA.jpeg
    64D8A94C-3BE8-4FD2-9FBC-E8F70E9FC7CA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 26BB83AF-7DBB-4ED0-B9E8-4BEEE14A34E3.jpeg
    26BB83AF-7DBB-4ED0-B9E8-4BEEE14A34E3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • BA6BC96C-F581-421D-8F20-A487B16B5E11.jpeg
    BA6BC96C-F581-421D-8F20-A487B16B5E11.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
Hey,

went to Mallorca from the 23th until the 27th of April. Had a wonderful time, saw many a bird species that were new to me and met some kind folks. In four days I could see/hear 114 different species, thanks to my pal Martin who also introduced me to some nice people. Saw the Slender-billed Gull and the Gull-billed tern as well at Depuradora, plus Marbled Duck and Collared Pratincole amongst many others. Other highlights were thousands of Balearic Shearwaters and "Scopoli´s Shearwaters", some Yelkouan Shearwaters and a strange bird that appeared to be a Storm Petrel (without any recognisable white on its upper side), all at Punta de n´Amer. Saw my first Common Rock Sparrow (a female), too.

Graciès to that island!

- Fabian

Hey,

went to Mallorca from the 23th until the 27th of April. Had a wonderful time, saw many a bird species that were new to me and met some kind folks. In four days I could see/hear 114 different species, thanks to my pal Martin who also introduced me to some nice people. Saw the Slender-billed Gull and the Gull-billed tern as well at Depuradora, plus Marbled Duck and Collared Pratincole amongst many others. Other highlights were thousands of Balearic Shearwaters and "Scopoli´s Shearwaters", some Yelkouan Shearwaters and a strange bird that appeared to be a Storm Petrel (without any recognisable white on its upper side), all at Punta de n´Amer. Saw my first Common Rock Sparrow (a female), too.

Graciès to that island!

- Fabian
Well done, that is a great total (y)

A lovely picnic today with Jane and I’m delighted that she chose Maria de La Salut for a suitable location.
It certainly was.
We called in at Vilafranca where I had one sighting of a distant Red-footed falcon although the views were very far away so I won’t be submitting the record.
Pep turned up so I was able to congratulate him in person for his magnificent sighting of the Ortolan bunting yesterday.
On to Maria and a very streaky falcon flew over our heads before I had time to get to my optics. I will look into it and see what I think it was.
Stone curlews were calling, loads of Corn bunting, Stonechat, Red kite, Marsh harrier, Short-toed larks and five or six Lesser kestrels.
The photos are poor for the simple reason that I will not disturb the birds in any way, so I’m always on maximum zoom where the quality falls off a cliff.
There are four birds on the pylon in the photo which, together with the overhead cables, is the best place to see the birds from the paths which intersect the fields.
The sandwiches were superb.
I love the white lands, not to everyone’s taste I know, but big open spaces with uninterrupted views is the best environment for me. I love the sense of freedom.
Mike
Sounds like a great day Mike but was on the sandwiches ?:ROFLMAO:

Spent the day at Gotmar, Can Cuarassa and Albufereta before getting back to watch my team on tv at 3pm so always on a tight schedule. At Gotmar the Roller showed very briefly, Phil A who was with me missed it before Martin S arrived. Phil then had to leave us and within 10 minutes it reappeared. We watched it for about half an hour, always more mobile than yesterday. In the meantime we had 2 groups of bee eaters in 2-3 minutes. One of about 60, the other of about 30. Both were gaining height and heading north towards the pass at Siller, presumably leaving the island. There were very few passerines about but a beautiful turtle dove in the paddock was a delight to see. Can Cuarassa was very quiet; whinchat, several corn buntings and 2 spotless starlings but little else. At Albufereta there were 2 stone curlews in the finca garden, yet more corn buntings and a couple of fan tailed warblers with more stone curlews calling in flight over. Time to head to the pub for a couple of pints and another win for the Toon. This brings the month of April to an end with 32 species added to my Mallorca total for the year.

Attachments

• E59BC15B-80B4-47F7-A34E-76B5D34640F5.jpeg
    E59BC15B-80B4-47F7-A34E-76B5D34640F5.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 8AA0804D-E2F8-4458-9B75-E15E23404056.jpeg
    8AA0804D-E2F8-4458-9B75-E15E23404056.jpeg
    746.9 KB · Views: 16
  • DC655F27-4B83-48FC-A275-7D469B213E79.jpeg
    DC655F27-4B83-48FC-A275-7D469B213E79.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 16
I think she is not a Ruddy shelduck, but a Sudafrican shelduck (scaped) living there for the lasts months.
Now in spring she is in love with a Shelduck male, but i am afraid he isnt in love with her.
Thanks Pep for explanation because there was something I wondered about the especially the head pattern. My first thought was could it be a hybrid but then I landed in that it maybe a normal variation. I have to look at pictures on the South African. According to the love I totally agree

I think Maristany (the area behind that Lidl in Port d’Alcudia) is a good place to find Vagrant emperor. I’ve seen at least four imagos there, together with I believe Anax imperator and many Red-veined darters.
Gotmar’s Roller was a fantastic bird to see (along with a Wood Warbler which I believe I haven’t seen in Mallorca so far). Some Whitethroats were present as well together with a very cooperative male Pied Flycatcher.
A moth - I believe Hyles livornica - was showing in bright daylight.
Fantastic day - let’s see what tomorrow brings in. I still need Red footed falcon and Honeybuzzard.

Cheers
Martin
Yes, that's Hyles livornica - a fairly common species on the islands.
Martin

I had planned a trip to the central plains today but seeing the threatening dark sky and the wind decided to stay local. I had a quiet walk along the Llenaire road and then to Can Cuarassa seeing very little. I then moved on to Albufereta and as I arrived Pep was leaving. He told me about the slender billed gulls which I was able to find on Sa Barcassa pond. With their beautiful pink blush in the breast and their elegant proportions they stood out well against the various yellow leggeds and auduoins. Later in the afternoon I took a walk down the lane at Gotmar. There were several spotted flycatchers and common redstart and a single pied flycatcher. Despite looking for an hour I could not find the roller from the weekend. It was now time for a well earned pint.

Attachments

• F0653DD2-9751-41E2-9469-66D7DFB1F10C.jpeg
    F0653DD2-9751-41E2-9469-66D7DFB1F10C.jpeg
    467.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 048E8101-23A1-4573-931E-9B824C4B16FD.jpeg
    048E8101-23A1-4573-931E-9B824C4B16FD.jpeg
    328.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 7D9CE5A6-E568-4895-883A-230F8B4AA53E.jpeg
    7D9CE5A6-E568-4895-883A-230F8B4AA53E.jpeg
    595.2 KB · Views: 13
I had planned a trip to the central plains today but seeing the threatening dark sky and the wind decided to stay local. I had a quiet walk along the Llenaire road and then to Can Cuarassa seeing very little. I then moved on to Albufereta and as I arrived Pep was leaving. He told me about the slender billed gulls which I was able to find on Sa Barcassa pond. With their beautiful pink blush in the breast and their elegant proportions they stood out well against the various yellow leggeds and auduoins. Later in the afternoon I took a walk down the lane at Gotmar. There were several spotted flycatchers and common redstart and a single pied flycatcher. Despite looking for an hour I could not find the roller from the weekend. It was now time for a well earned pint.
Hi Geordie.
It’s great to read your posts. Arriving tomorrow and staying at Hotel llenaire for 5 nights.
Maybe catch you sometime.
You mention birding at Gotmar?
Is this just the beach area, in effect across the way from where the Llenaire road hits the coast?
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back