• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lizard ID? UK (1 Viewer)

Will K

Too well-known member
United Kingdom
This lizard was seen on Shoreham beach, UK. I managed to take a picture though a pair of binoculars and a chain link fence. Should be an easy ID? Thanks

Attachments

• 77dcba61-e911-406d-a99a-7ca5c3238402.jpeg
    77dcba61-e911-406d-a99a-7ca5c3238402.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 45
They can be seen in various places along the South Coast, the origins of the colonies are unclear and unless someone in the reptile community has studied the genetics they may or may not be all the same (modern taxonomy) species. In a British context and in the absence of detailed definitive information it does no harm to refer to them as Wall Lizards.

John

I wouldn't go lower than species level in the UK, but most seem to be derived from releases of subspecies P. m. nigriventri and P. m. maculiventris
Somewhere like Shoreham they would have come from importation on boats I presume? Is it a genetic job to seperate the species/subspecies? A few attached of ones I've taken at Shoreham Fort. Well worth a visit by the OP to get good views of them (buggers to get close enough to with a macro though!)

Attachments

• european-wall-lizard_13605036084_o.jpg
    european-wall-lizard_13605036084_o.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • european-wall-lizard-podarcis-muralis_20303527998_o.jpg
    european-wall-lizard-podarcis-muralis_20303527998_o.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • european-wall-lizard-podarcis-muralis---baby-only-about-5cm-long-nose-to-tail-tip_35506251333_o.jpg
    european-wall-lizard-podarcis-muralis---baby-only-about-5cm-long-nose-to-tail-tip_35506251333_o.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 7
  • european-wall-lizard-podarcis-muralis-female_35506252433_o.jpg
    european-wall-lizard-podarcis-muralis-female_35506252433_o.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
i may be totally wrong on this but i think all are deliberate reintroductions with the south coast being most likelynto sustain them (as 2 native species largely hold on in dorset) rather than anything ship related for what its worth (and i survey adders and regularly find grass snakes and slow worms in adder sites) the wall lizards on portland seem more densely populated than most british reptiles

i may be totally wrong on this but i think all are deliberate reintroductions with the south coast being most likelynto sustain them (as 2 native species largely hold on in dorset) rather than anything ship related for what its worth (and i survey adders and regularly find grass snakes and slow worms in adder sites) the wall lizards on portland seem more densely populated than most british reptiles
You surely, cannot 'reintroduce' a non native-species?

On a separate note, why hasn't this been moved to the correct forum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back