• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesvos - Most Do Sites (1 Viewer)

jmmorton

Hi,

I'm preparing for my first ever trip to Lesvos on 25th April for 1 week. I'm staying at the Hotel Pasiphae in Skala Kalloni and have a hire car already booked from the Airport.

I have Steve Dudley's excellent Birdwatching Guide to Lesvos but am a bit overwhelmed by the choice and number of sites covered.

To enable me to plan and get the most out of my week, can anyone please recommend the 'must do' sites that would be top of their itinerary? The Salt Pans and surrounding area seem to get a lot of coverage and are right on the door step.

Thanks in advance.

Jonno

Hi,

I'm preparing for my first ever trip to Lesvos on 25th April for 1 week. I'm staying at the Hotel Pasiphae in Skala Kalloni and have a hire car already booked from the Airport.

I have Steve Dudley's excellent Birdwatching Guide to Lesvos but am a bit overwhelmed by the choice and number of sites covered.

To enable me to plan and get the most out of my week, can anyone please recommend the 'must do' sites that would be top of their itinerary? The Salt Pans and surrounding area seem to get a lot of coverage and are right on the door step.

Thanks in advance.

Jonno

We stay in Skalla Kalloni and visit the salt pans almost every day before we set off to that day's destination - always something different to admire there. Read the Lesvos reports on BF Vacation Reports thread - we got good info from there.The island is very easy to get round by car - buy a 'blue map' once you're there. The Inland lake ( sometimes now called something else but Steve's book not to hand at the moment: "Matochi" ??) can almost be a daily destination.

You're in for a treat Jonno

Sandra

I'd rate the Sigri and Faneromini areas out west as second only to the Kalloni Saltpans area for general birding, and better for passerine migration.

Sean

If the track is passable, Meladia valley is awesome.
Metochi lake in the mornings is also great.

Arguably Polichnitos saltpans are not at their best in spring. Areas around Kalloni saltpans, and the tracks in and out, are likely to be much more productive and quicker to access.

If your interest goes beyond birds alone then you might also want to get the forthcoming Crossbill guide to the island which should be out by April (see - www.crossbillguides.com). Having helped to edit the text I think it's an excellent guide .... but then I'm biased!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back