• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Sandplovers (1 Viewer)

Bowland Birders

Have just glanced quickly at the latest Birding Asia and see that there is an article labelling Lesser Sandplovers as 'Spot-fronted' (= atrifrons) and Black-fronted (= mongolus). I am probably out-of-date but with atrifrons meaning 'black-fronted' and mongolus already generally referred to as 'Mongolian' this doesn't seem a logical choice of English names. What do you think Richard?

br, Mike

Last edited:
These names, amongst many others, were proposed by Livezey 2010 (Phylogenetics of modern shorebirds (Charadriiformes) based on phenotypic evidence) - see the appendix. [Also discussed in this thread: Charadriiformes.]They do indeed seem inappropriate. Breeding atrifrons (unsurprisingly) has a black forehead, whilst mongolus has a white-spotted forehead. I suspect that the names were inadvertantly transposed in the manuscript. Anyway, they don't seem to have been adopted elsewhere...

Indeed not Richard, although sadly we'll never have the opportunity of debating this with Brad Livezey. The OSME Region List draft, which should appear in a month or so on www.osme.org, Has this to say:

"Lesser Sand Plover Parent Taxon. Charadrius mongolus.Unsplit still IOC2.10, but Livezey 2010 supports split. NB1 All claimed records Cyprus up to 1996 and Turkey up to 1989 have been reviewed and rejected as smallest ssp, columbinus, of Greater Sandplover C. leschenaultii Flint et al 1997. NB2 We resist Livezey 2010 proposal to rename mongolus as 'Black-fronted Sandplover' and atrifrons as 'Spot-fronted Sandplover'. (See Inskipp et al 2011)"

We list in the atrifrons group atrifrons & pamirensis; and in the mongolus group mongolus & stegmanni neither of which has been recorded in the OSME Region (unless some of your readers know better...):t:
MJB

Mike, don't forget schaeferi.

Quite right, Richard! I was caught between two stools here - I set out to mention all sspp, but then meant to comment that schaeferi hadn't been recorded (AFAIK) in the OSME Region:eek!:. Many thanks.
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back