• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica or Swarovski (1 Viewer)

MJB74

Hi All,
I’m looking at upgrading my binoculars, I have Nikon Monarchs 10 x 42 at the moment. I go birding about once every three months so won’t be breaking the bank. The ones I’m looking at are Leica Trinovid HD 10 x 42 for about £800 and the Swarovski SLC 10 x 42 at about £1200. My question is, is the extra £400 worth it? Are there any others I should be looking at in this price range? Or is it worth going up to the £1500-£1600 price range to future proof myself?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi All,
I’m looking at upgrading my binoculars, I have Nikon Monarchs 10 x 42 at the moment. I go birding about once every three months so won’t be breaking the bank. The ones I’m looking at are Leica Trinovid HD 10 x 42 for about £800 and the Swarovski SLC 10 x 42 at about £1200. My question is, is the extra £400 worth it? Are there any others I should be looking at in this price range? Or is it worth going up to the £1500-£1600 price range to future proof myself?
Thanks in advance.

There are some other things to consider.
The SLC has a close focus of 3.3 meters. The Trinnie is much closer, so when insect and butterfly watching is also a primary I would go for the Trinnie.
In resale (used) value the Japanese Trinnie does not keep the value which the SLC keeps.
Both brands have a superb warranty as long as it is a warranty issue. When you scratch a lens, need the rubber armoring replaced or any other no guarantee issue, you are very glad you have chosen the SLC from Swarovski.

Jan

There are some other things to consider.
The SLC has a close focus of 3.3 meters. The Trinnie is much closer, so when insect and butterfly watching is also a primary I would go for the Trinnie.
In resale (used) value the Japanese Trinnie does not keep the value which the SLC keeps.
Both brands have a superb warranty as long as it is a warranty issue. When you scratch a lens, need the rubber armoring replaced or any other no guarantee issue, you are very glad you have chosen the SLC from Swarovski.

Jan

Close focus on Trinnie is 3.5m according to Leica technical datasheet

Close focus on the Trinovid HD is ~ 5 feet/1.5 meters.
The Trinovid HD, to my knowledge, is made in Portugal ; however, Jan mentions Japan?

In regards to the question, I don't think there would be 400£ difference between the HD and the SLC. The Trinovid is also lighter and more compact. When considering the 10x42s, I think the Trinovid HD is very competitive (the 8x42 has a much narrower FoV compared to other similar 8x42s, so I don't feel it is as good of an option).

Justin

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back