• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

leica 8x20 vs minox 8x24 vs ? (1 Viewer)

adamsdp

I am trying to find a nice pair of compact binoculars I can use for birding on hikes with my kids when I don't feel like taking along a larger pair. The Minox 8x24 look nice but not sure if I would like the narrow 5 deg fov. I want to get a pair of roof prism binoculars that are double hinged to keep the size as small as possible. The leica 8x20 sound great and my only worry is the smaller exit pupil and if it would be difficult to align both barrels to my eyes. If anyone has any advice on these two or another that I overlooked, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dave Adams

p.s. Another option might be to get a pair of inexpensive Eagle Optics Energy 8x21's for carrying in a pocket and a slightly larger pair such as the Bushnell 7x26 Custom Compacts?

Quite an issue, but there are fortunately tons to choose from. I like a lot of inverted porros of 8x25 size, but there is a lot of variety in eye cups, so pick one that you can see in a store. I have a 10x25 porro pair as well, and they are surprisingly bright. FOV is good on many porros.

For roof prisms, surprisingly, there was even one 8.5x pair listed
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?dept=1&type=19&purch=1&pid=4222

If I was getting some binoculars I did not have to pay for myself, I would look at these
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?dept=1&type=19&purch=1&pid=3084
they sell for around 400. I never pay that much, so under 100 Nikons will do fine for my casual birding.

Your Leiacs look good, too. My issue with compacts is that I like to carry them in my pocket, usually fairly cheap ones. I would feel with the expensive models that I need them around my neck for safety. In some situations, I don't want to look like a birder, and only pull them out when needed.

Last edited:
"In some situations, I don't want to look like a birder, and only pull them out when needed."

Embarrassed to be one of us, eh?

Naw, I understand. But honestly, when I am walking around neighborhoods with my binocs around my neck peering in the direction of people's homes, I am more worried about looking like a peeping tom!

I had exactly the same requirement and ended up buying the Minox 8x24. It's a very good product with very long eye relief and sharp optics. I sold it in the end because I just can't get along with these small folding binoculars - don't know why but I'm never comfortable with them. I replaced them with the Nikon 8x25 Travelite V (inverted porro design) and I find these suit me much better and I find them easier to hold too (good offer at Warehouse Express).
Good luck.
John

trashbird said:
"In some situations, I don't want to look like a birder, and only pull them out when needed."

Embarrassed to be one of us, eh?

Naw, I understand. But honestly, when I am walking around neighborhoods with my binocs around my neck peering in the direction of people's homes, I am more worried about looking like a peeping tom!

Not embarrassed, it is a matter of least hassle. See my thread:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=20723

Tero said:
Not embarrassed, it is a matter of least hassle. See my thread:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=20723

Tero, I went and read your other post, it makes perfect sense. Too bad we've been reduced to such. Course in the 1950's you'd have been accused of being a communist spy, LOL.

I went to Webster College in St. Louis in the early 1980's and always looked forward to spring Warblers... St. Louis is a great birding city. When you're looking at Warblers we'll still be shoveling snow... but I don't envy your summers!

Get the Leica. Today I was out on my deck for over a half hour looking at a Red Tail perched high up in a tree about 250 yards away. I was alternating between my Leica 8 x 20 Trinovids, my Nikon 8 x 32 LXL's and my Nikon 10 x 35EII's. The Leica's came in third, but it was a real good third! It was a bright day with high cirrus clouds so, as far as exit pupils go, the comparison was a fair one. The Leica's view was very sharp and their contrast, on what was essentially a monochromatic scene, was outstanding. FOV in these little bins is better than adequate with sharpness from edge to edge. In fact, it seems wider than the 335' it is purported to have. I've also compared them with my inexpensive Nikon 8 x 25 Sportstars which have a 400' FOV. The Leica's "usable" FOV is about 95%, while the little Nikon's is about 75%, and the Leica's very visibly have more sharpness, contrast and "snap" than the little Nikons, which admittedly cost $400.00 less than the Leica's. What really pleases me about the little Leica is it's ease of use. I'm not a fan of double hinges but I have no problem with these and my IPD is about 71 degrees. I don't wear glasses so ER is no problem. At 8 ounces or so you hardly notice them hanging from your neck.

For those interested, the best view of the Red Tail was through the 10 x 35's, as expected. The LXL's were outstanding too. I was impressed with their sharpness and contrast also. Of course their image was smaller than the 10x's but not significantly so. The bird was perched a long way off. I see him almost every day.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back