• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LBJ from partial description, Massachusetts USA (1 Viewer)

nartreb

Speak softly and carry a long lens
The light was a bit dim, I wasn't wearing my glasses, and this bird flew away quickly, but here goes:

Walking the dog along a quiet street (near a lake and woods), I saw a couple of chipping sparrows (I'm pretty sure, sparrows are not my forte but they had the reddish caps) foraging on an open lawn. A few feet farther away was a sparrowlike, sparrow-sized LBJ. It was facing mostly away from me. I didn't get a good look at the beak. The head, neck, mantle, and wings were a few shades of nondescript brownish-grey, with the wings a bit darker than the body. I did not notice any kind of eye-stripe or head pattern. The part that I thought should make it identifiable, but which I can't match in my books, is that peeking out from under the wing (i.e., on the flank, below the point where the primaries meet the secondaries when the wing is folded) was a small area of strongly-contrasting stripes. I got the impression the stripes did not extend onto the chest, belly, or vent, though it was in the grass and facing the wrong way for me to be sure.
It promptly flew off. As far as I noticed, the entire upper surface of the tail, rump, back, and wings was a dull, unmarked brownish.

Any suggestions?

Valery,
I thought it was much less strongly marked than that on its head and mantle. (It was dark-ish, and this bird wasn't very close, so I might be wrong, but it was light enough for me to see the head pattern on the adult chipping sparrows.) A female bunting (e.g. Indigo) would be a very good match for the color and pattern of the upperparts. It's just the hint of striping under the wing that's confusing me.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back