• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Laughing Gull with ORANGE BILL in Mexico !! (1 Viewer)

Looks fine for laughing gull otherwise (bill perhaps slightly deep/long?) - including wing-pattern. So, 'laughing gull with pigment problems' seems a neater and more-plausible explanation than involving anything else's genes.
Does it have a deformed right foot, first two shots appear so but in others it looks ok?

somewhere a few years ago , at Flickr or pbase I think, there was a photo series of an aberrant laughing gull with bright red bill and legs . darker red than in yours but I think generally similar.

also no sign of hybridisation. so it seems sometimes that happens

Interesting find. The foot looks like maybe something bit part of it off- perhaps some big fish? Or I suppose entanglement and strangulation is an option, though it would be an odd trick to tangle only part of a webbed foot and lose the amount shown.

Maybe the foot has been bitten of by a turtle- well , maybe not a snapping turtle but something smaller like a red-eared slider ? I have seen a few damages in mallard and goose feet in parks in Germany where people released quite a lot of unwanted pet red-eared sliders...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back