• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (2 Viewers)

13.2 has Phylloscartes paulista Ihering, HFA & Ihering, R, 1907
14.1 has Pogonotriccus paulista Ihering, HFA & Ihering, R, 1907
I think parentheses are indicated?

13.2 has Phylloscartes paulista Ihering, HFA & Ihering, R, 1907
14.1 has Pogonotriccus paulista Ihering, HFA & Ihering, R, 1907
I think parentheses are indicated?
A years-check (i.e., genus year > (sub)species year while no parentheses), on 14.1 data, finds another authority without parentheses:

Cryptolybia Clancey, 1979
Cryptolybia olivacea woodwardi Shelley, 1895

A years-check (i.e., genus year > (sub)species year while no parentheses), on 14.1 data, finds another authority without parentheses:

Cryptolybia Clancey, 1979
Cryptolybia olivacea woodwardi Shelley, 1895
Thanks for this and your previous post. Both now corrected for 14.2.

I think
Oroanassa Peters, 1930
should be:
Oroanassa Peters, JL, 1930

to prevent the authorname from becoming a homonym (there are three Peters)

Thank you.

WGAC update on the IOU website:

"Work is continuing on the Checklist and it expected that the final draft will be completed by late 2024. There will be a period of cross-checking before it is made public in early 2025. As part of the release the summary statements on the decisions made will also be made available."

Tor, even if somewhat late, and slightly off-topic (re. the Latest IOC diary updates, that is), if still of interest ...

• the Red-rumped/Lesser Striated Swallow ssp. Cecropis daurica rufula TEMMINCK 1835 (OD here), as "Hirundo rufula", ... later also known as; "Hirundo daurica rufula (in 1910 here, alt. here, or in 1911, here), and even "Hirundo dauricus rufula" (way later, in 1984, here) ...

Unfortunately I cannot find the exact answer of "when and where it was lumped" (not closer than above)... but hopefully the daurica/dauricus rufula versions will make you find it.

Good luck (if trying)!
The thread has been hijacked completely and should be renamed.

Sorry Andy, I just wanted to help (as I happened to remember Tor's question/s) ...

But, ok, as you're the initiator of this thread, I have deleted it.

The floor is yours ...

/B

Last edited:
Sorry Andy, I just wanted to help (as I happened to remember Tor's question/s) ...

But, ok, as you're the initiator of this thread, I have deleted it.

The floor is once again yours.

/B
No problem Bjorn, please re-post, this thread was taken over ages ago and I started it again under birds and birding where I hope it is used solely for information on splits and lumps as I originally intended here.

An initiator of a thread doesn't have any "ownership" of it. Since Andy started a new thread elsewhere to keep it to his liking, then he can post there and ignore this "hijacked" one.

At this risk of hand-bagging a fellow member of this forum, Andy is one of the most common sources of derailing other threads, so it's a bit rich that he gets grumpy at this thread.

An initiator of a thread doesn't have any "ownership" of it. Since Andy started a new thread elsewhere to keep it to his liking, then he can post there and ignore this "hijacked" one.

At this risk of hand-bagging a fellow member of this forum, Andy is one of the most common sources of derailing other threads, so it's a bit rich that he gets grumpy at this thread.
Some people just can't resist attacking me when they have nothing else of value to add.

This thread hasn't been 'derailed', it's been completely taken over, nice to see one of my other detractors giving you a 'like'.

If I do 'derail' a thread which is frankly b******s, it's quickly leaped upon by moderators, one of whom is particularly keen to monitor my posts but, that did not happen here. It's not a matter of the thread being 'to Andy's liking', the fact is that it was intended to highlight splits and lumps only, it's become a boffin's guide to nomenclature and related matters.

You'll all be glad to hear that I'll be spending less and less time on the site, I have other things on my mind.

Last edited:
Fairly recent revisions have seen both Banded Pitta and Hooded Pitta split. Can anyone explain why we now have hyphenated Banded-Pittas but the new Hooded Pittas are not hyphenated?

Fairly recent revisions have seen both Banded Pitta and Hooded Pitta split. Can anyone explain why we now have hyphenated Banded-Pittas but the new Hooded Pittas are not hyphenated?
IOC doesn't hyphenate like this. Cornell/eBird do, though I can't say why they hyphenate in one case and not the other.

Whilst not wanting to reignite the Great BirdForum Hyphen Wars, Cornell/eBird's take on hyphenating in the first place is silly and inelegant, though I understand the logic.

Isn't the general idea that a Hooded Pitta (no hyphen) is a Pitta with a hood, while a Banded-Pitta is a group of Pitta-like birds.

Isn't the general idea that a Hooded Pitta (no hyphen) is a Pitta with a hood, while a Banded-Pitta is a group of Pitta-like birds.

That would be much too easy. ;)
The banded-pittas are three species in the genus Hydrornis, which includes ten more species that are pittas without being banded-pittas, and which is only one out of three currently recognized genera of pittas...

At least the N American authorities / folks that be try to define hyphens as implying monophyletic groups. So Night Herons will cease to be Night-Herons if a recent NACC proposal passes, in order to communicate that they're not each others' closest relatives. I'm ok with this logic, as it helps people understand, for instance, that Little Blue Heron and Great Blue Heron are not two members of a taxonomic branch of Blue-Herons but are rather both Herons that are blue (well let's not go too far into judging that). But it's not always perfectly applied and outside of N America all bets are off... so yeah it's anyone's guess sometimes.

At least the N American authorities / folks that be try to define hyphens as implying monophyletic groups. So Night Herons will cease to be Night-Herons if a recent NACC proposal passes, in order to communicate that they're not each others' closest relatives. I'm ok with this logic, as it helps people understand, for instance, that Little Blue Heron and Great Blue Heron are not two members of a taxonomic branch of Blue-Herons but are rather both Herons that are blue (well let's not go too far into judging that). But it's not always perfectly applied and outside of N America all bets are off... so yeah it's anyone's guess sometimes.
...with the addition that its not perfectly applied within North America either - e.g. Quail-Dove, Storm-Petrel, Foliage-gleaner

Users who are viewing this thread

Back