• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (1 Viewer)

Normally such references can be found in the "References" section of the IOC website. (The link is under the "IOC Lists" heading). However in this case the many "Smith et al." references end in 2021.
Thanks. I didn't know about that list and have now found it in there:
Smith BT, J Merwin, KL Provost, G Thom, RT Brumfield, M Ferreira, WM Mauck III, RG Moyle, T Wright & L Joseph. 2023. Phylogenomic analysis of the parrots of the world distinguishes artifactual from biological sources of gene tree discordance. Systematic Biology71(1): 228-241.
The title omits to mention "by the way, in passing we've recommended some changes to taxonomic order" but then that wasn't the purpose of the publication.

How can we access unpublished data?
It was in the October Clements update so the outcome, but not the workings, can be seen there. I don't know if Cornell made the info available when they decided to apply the change? Presumably they showed it to the folks at IOC. In their update it's described as "synthetic work by E. Miller (unpubl. data) based on e.g., Selvatti et al. (2015), Marki et al. (2017), Norman et al. (2018), and Fjeldså et al. (2020)."

I'm just checking through the Clements update and that says that, separate from this re-sequencing, Clements moved 6 species from Sericornis to Aethomyias, which were already in the latter genus for IOC. So the two have lined up.

Nov 15 Modify the linear sequence of genera and species within Hirundinidae.

Anyone know if this will have an effect on current treatment of Red-rumped Swallow (C. daurica)? I assume the referred Brown (2019) is this paper; Phylogeny and Evolution of Swallows (Hirundinidae) With a Transcriptomic Perspective on Seasonal Migration, from which I snipped the attached tree.

I'm a layman when it comes to genetics, but it seems C. striolata is embedded in C. daurica. Revision of linear sequence of Hirundinidae following Brown (2019) would then require a split of C. d. daurica/japonica, or lump with C. striolata? Or am I completely mistaken?

1700132448964.png

Last edited:
Anyone know if this will have an effect on current treatment of Red-rumped Swallow (C. daurica)? I assume the referred Brown (2019) is this paper; Phylogeny and Evolution of Swallows (Hirundinidae) With a Transcriptomic Perspective on Seasonal Migration, from which I snipped the attached tree.

I'm a layman when it comes to genetics, but it seems C. striolata is embedded in C. daurica. Revision of linear sequence of Hirundinidae would then require a split of C. d. daurica/japonica, or lump with C. striolata? Or am I completely mistaken?

View attachment 1543556
Agree with you. I guess if there was a split or lump involved, IOC would have mentioned it though.

I'm a layman when it comes to genetics, but it seems C. striolata is embedded in C. daurica. Revision of linear sequence of Hirundinidae would then require a split of C. d. daurica/japonica, or lump with C. striolata? Or am I completely mistaken?

View attachment 1543556
I would see the following conception: some subspecies of daurica would become subspecies of striolata (assuming that the holotype of daurica is not there); the African subspecies would be elevated to species rank, the same for the populations corresponding to the regions Pakistan, Kuwait, Greece

I also suppose that Progne chalybea macrorhamphus could be elevated to species rank

The linear sequence of genera and species within Hirundinidae is modified to better align with Clements (2023) and the phylogeny of Brown (2019).
The taxonomic update (above) does say "to better align" with Brown, which isn't the usual wording and implies that they haven't followed every bit of it, or at least not yet. So it seems safe to assume no changes to allocation of subspecies to species other than the one on the subspecies page:
Rock Martin Ptyonoprogne fuligula Move subspecies pusilla to Pale Crag Martin Ptyonoprogne obsoleta. Subspecies pusilla was previously included in Ptyonoprogne fuligula based on Dickinson & Christidis (2014). Reassigned to Ptyonoprogne obsoleta following HBW/BLI and Clements (2023).

The taxonomy section has:

Petrochelidon fuliginosa Forest Swallow Atronanus fuliginosus PHY, TAX Forest Swallow was formerly placed in Petrochelidon as P. fuliginosa. However, a new monotypic genus proposed for it: Atronanus de Silva et al., 2018, is tentatively adopted here to align with BirdLife and Clements (2023) but the new genus lacks Zoobank registration. Note gender.

the same for the populations corresponding to the regions Pakistan, Kuwait, Greece
These locations corresponds to the distribution of C. d. rufula.

C. d. daurica and C. d. japonica (+ maybe other Asian subspecies?) are morphologically closer to C. striolata than to C. d. rufula. There are several records of D. d. daurica/japonica in Northern Europe, thus my interest. I never quite understood why these very distinct Asian ssp. are lumped with rufula.

The taxonomy section has:

Petrochelidon fuliginosa Forest Swallow Atronanus fuliginosus PHY, TAX Forest Swallow was formerly placed in Petrochelidon as P. fuliginosa. However, a new monotypic genus proposed for it: Atronanus de Silva et al., 2018, is tentatively adopted here to align with BirdLife and Clements (2023) but the new genus lacks Zoobank registration. Note gender.
Journal of Avian Biology has a Print ISSN: 0908-8857. So why would a Zoobank registration be needed?

Journal of Avian Biology has a Print ISSN: 0908-8857. So why would a Zoobank registration be needed?
When a printed journal goes online-only, its print ISSN remains associated to the volumes that were printed in the past -- the fact that a journal has a print ISSN is no evidence that it is still printed.

This journal is only available online and in print on demand (not publication in the sense of the Code). This has been so since Feb 2018 .

This name has no standing -- it would be better not to use it.

The linear sequence of Laridae is revised based on the phylogenetic analyses of Černý & Natale (2022).
Saunders's Gull Chroicocephalus saundersi, formerly included in Chroicocephalus is moved to the monotypic genus Saundersilarus based on phylogenetic analyses (Pons et al. 2005; Černý and Natale 2022). Saundersilarus saundersi
The linear sequence of species within Stercorariidae is revised following phylogenetic analyses of Černý & Natale (2022) and Mikkelsen and Weir (2023).
The linear sequence of Alcidae is revised based on the phylogenetic analyses of Černý & Natale (2022).
The linear sequence of genera of Diomedeidae is revised based on Estandia et al. (2021). Species sequence aligns with Clements (2023).
The linear sequence of species within Fregatidae is revised based on Martins et al. (2022).
The linear sequence of genera and species within Sulidae is based on the phylogeny in Patterson et al. (2011).
A few other families too. (As the quote doesn't display the whole text - Laridae, Stercorariidae, Alcidae, Diomedeidae, Fregatidae & Sulidae.)

perhaps it was a temporary treatment while we obtained additional samples?
Was rufula originally described (Temminck 1835) as a separate species or as a subspecies of C. daurica? If described as a separate species, anyone know when and where it was lumped as a subspecies of C. daurica?
I notice there are several Asian (and African) ssp. of both C. daurica and C. striolata missing in Brown (2019) so probably not possible to sort out the exact genetic relations in this complex, but the current treatment of the migratory ssp. feels unsatisfactory nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back