• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (3 Viewers)

AFAIK it should be like this:

jugularisGarden Sunbird
obscuriorn Luzon and Babuyan Is. (n Philippines)
jugularisc, s Luzon group, Mindoro, Visayas and Mindanao group (n to s Philippines)
woodiSulu Arch. (s Philippines)
auroraAurora SunbirdPalawan group (sw Philippines)
ornatusOrnate Sunbird
andamanicusAndaman Is.
proseliusn Nicobar Is.
klossic, s Nicobar Is.
flammaxillarisMyanmar, Thailand, c, s Indochina and n Malay Pen.
ornatusc, s Malay Pen., Sumatra, Borneo, Java, Bali and Lesser Sundas (except Sumba and Timor)
polyclystusEnggano (w of s Sumatra)
rhizophoraes, se China including Hainan, and n Vietnam
infrenatusTukangbesi SunbirdTukangbesi and other is. off se Sulawesi
frenatusSahul SunbirdSulawesi to ne Australia, Bismarck Arch. and Solomon Is.
plateniTalaud Is. (ne of Sulawesi), Sulawesi and satellites
robustirostrisBanggai and Sula Is. (e of Sulawesi)
frenatusMorotai to Obi (n Moluccas), New Guinea (except n) and satellites (except Trobriand, Woodlark and Louisiade is., se of se New Guinea), Aru Is. (sw of New Guinea) and ne QLD (far ne Australia)
flavigastraBismarck Arch. including Ninigo and Hermit is., and n, sc Solomon Is. to Guadalcanal and Malaita
teysmanniFlores Sea SunbirdFlores Sea is. s of Sulawesi
clementiaeClementia’s Sunbird
buruensisBuru (wc Moluccas)
clementiaeBoano (nw of Seram), Ambon, Seram (ec Moluccas) and Watubela (s Moluccas)
keiensisKai Is. (se Moluccas)
idenburgiRand's SunbirdMamberamo, Sepik and Ramu basins, n New Guinea
Massively helpful, thank you!

I've got no issue with a name such as 'Palawan' when it is accurate, you glean nothing from 'Aurora'?
There are no real shortages of "Palawan" blank out there, and their probably will be more since the Philippines seem to be an area of heavy taxonomic instability. So I for one appreciate the use of more imaginative and memorable names. After all, its not like its the ONLY sunbird on Palawan I presume?

Hoping for a few lumps, as I was looking forward to hitting a milestone in New Zealand next year, but with all these splits I have added 12 species and passed it already.
Something similar! I've added 11 from this recent lot (which still means my list has gone down slightly as a percentage), and I too have just gone over a new milestone. There was a point yesterday when I could have belted up to Shetland for the Veery and hit the milestone naturally with an actual bird in the actual field 😆.... but then came the sunbirds

There are no real shortages of "Palawan" blank out there, and their probably will be more since the Philippines seem to be an area of heavy taxonomic instability. So I for one appreciate the use of more imaginative and memorable names. After all, its not like its the ONLY sunbird on Palawan I presume?
But it is the only endemic (to Palawan rather than the Philippines) Sunbird on the island afaik?

A quick look on ebird tells me there are 5 sp. (+ a spiderhunter), of which only Aethopyga shelleyi (Lovely Sunbird) is also endemic to the Palawan area.
aurora does look like the easiest to encounter

Yeah so, makes sense to go with something different.
And I think Aurora is a great name given the bird's appearance. It really is a "wow" of colour to the extent that I actually remember seeing it (unlike 2 other Olive-backed Sunbird splits which I had to check my notebooks before knowing I saw them 😆)

Many thanks for this, I've just returned from Angola and checked the IOC website and was really struggling to make out which forms I had seen and hadn't seen until I looked at Bird Forum and saw your post.

Five out of the eight for me, so four armchair ticks. Shame I missed it on Palawan

Many thanks for this, I've just returned from Angola and checked the IOC website and was really struggling to make out which forms I had seen and hadn't seen until I looked at Bird Forum and saw your post.

Five out of the eight for me, so four armchair ticks. Shame I missed it on Palawan
You've done well to see it in Angola ;)

No. We did a bit of a smash and grab up in northern Namibia before driving back down south, all the time feeling a bit nervous about getting malaria cos Nicky was pregnant. Saw some birds I've not seen anywhere else though
A bit dry to be worrying about Malaria but I get it, with your wife being pregnant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back