• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (1 Viewer)

Annoyed to find out that I have no record of seeing "Fire-breasted" in Khao Yai NP in Thailand, which photos suggest would fall under Cambodian.
I'm really glad of my old notebooks right now! This is just the sort of bird I wouldn't necessarily have written down though in the past.

I'm really glad of my old notebooks right now! This is just the sort of bird I wouldn't necessarily have written down though in the past.
Luckily, I was keeping good track of what I saw where when I was living in Thailand as I try to keep track of subspecies for this very purpose. Seems like I just didn't see this species there, more's the pity.

Luckily, I was keeping good track of what I saw where when I was living in Thailand as I try to keep track of subspecies for this very purpose. Seems like I just didn't see this species there, more's the pity.
I can't find it in my notes from Khao Yai either. Luckily I can from Sumatra and Philippines though I can't remember the sightings! 🥺

I can't find it in my notes from Khao Yai either. Luckily I can from Sumatra and Philippines though I can't remember the sightings! 🥺
This from my Cambodia notes, 2006.

'Target species, two endemics, Cambodian Laughingthrush and Chestnut-headed Partridge as well as endemic races of White-tailed Robin cambodianum, Blue-winged Minla rufodorsalis and an ‘unresolved form’ of Fire-breasted Flowerpecker,

Oct 4 Split Olive-backed Sunbird into eight species.

Ornate Sunbird, Palawan Sunbird, Sahul Sunbird, Tukangbesi Sunbird, Flores Sea Sunbird, Clementia's Sunbird, Rand's Sunbird

Cinnyris ornatus, Cinnyris aurora, Cinnyris frenatus, Cinnyris infrenatus, Cinnyris teysmanni, Cinnyris clementiae, Cinnyris idenburgi

Olive-backed (now Garden) Sunbird Cinnyris jugularis is split into eight species based on a combination of bioacoustic differences, mtDNA data (Lohman et al. 2010; Marcaigh et al. 2022) and, in many instances, substantial differences in plumage (WGAC). Rand's Sunbird was also previously split by HBW/BirdLife, del Hoyo & Collar 2016; Gregory 2017).

Now I have to check those too!

My notes say that I saw ornatus on Flores but should that be teysmanni?

I think I have four of the eight which puts me three up.

Last edited:
Oct 4 Split Olive-backed Sunbird into eight species.

Ornate Sunbird, Palawan Sunbird, Sahul Sunbird, Tukangbesi Sunbird, Flores Sea Sunbird, Clementia's Sunbird, Rand's Sunbird

Cinnyris ornatus, Cinnyris aurora, Cinnyris frenatus, Cinnyris infrenatus, Cinnyris teysmanni, Cinnyris clementiae, Cinnyris idenburgi

Olive-backed (now Garden) Sunbird Cinnyris jugularis is split into eight species based on a combination of bioacoustic differences, mtDNA data (Lohman et al. 2010; Marcaigh et al. 2022) and, in many instances, substantial differences in plumage (WGAC). Rand's Sunbird was also previously split by HBW/BirdLife, del Hoyo & Collar 2016; Gregory 2017).
Wow 🤯. Can anyone help with which subspecies are aligned within which of these?

My notes say that I saw ornatus on Flores but should that be teysmanni?
From what I can see in the IOC and Clements spreadsheets, teysmanni is found on small islands north of Flores. The range of ornatus extends to Lesser Sundas which I believe includes Flores. Clements already has teysmanni as a named group so it looks like "Flores Sea Sunbird" will be monotypic.

So are you saying that each one of those new species is monotypic and all the other subspecies remain within jugularis? Seems an odd way to split it if so.
Sorry, I see what you mean now, apologies.

Some are so remote that they may be monotypic though e.g Flores Sunbird as per Pauls message above.

AFAIK it should be like this:

jugularisGarden Sunbird
obscuriorn Luzon and Babuyan Is. (n Philippines)
jugularisc, s Luzon group, Mindoro, Visayas and Mindanao group (n to s Philippines)
woodiSulu Arch. (s Philippines)
auroraAurora SunbirdPalawan group (sw Philippines)
ornatusOrnate Sunbird
andamanicusAndaman Is.
proseliusn Nicobar Is.
klossic, s Nicobar Is.
flammaxillarisMyanmar, Thailand, c, s Indochina and n Malay Pen.
ornatusc, s Malay Pen., Sumatra, Borneo, Java, Bali and Lesser Sundas (except Sumba and Timor)
polyclystusEnggano (w of s Sumatra)
rhizophoraes, se China including Hainan, and n Vietnam
infrenatusTukangbesi SunbirdTukangbesi and other is. off se Sulawesi
frenatusSahul SunbirdSulawesi to ne Australia, Bismarck Arch. and Solomon Is.
plateniTalaud Is. (ne of Sulawesi), Sulawesi and satellites
robustirostrisBanggai and Sula Is. (e of Sulawesi)
frenatusMorotai to Obi (n Moluccas), New Guinea (except n) and satellites (except Trobriand, Woodlark and Louisiade is., se of se New Guinea), Aru Is. (sw of New Guinea) and ne QLD (far ne Australia)
flavigastraBismarck Arch. including Ninigo and Hermit is., and n, sc Solomon Is. to Guadalcanal and Malaita
teysmanniFlores Sea SunbirdFlores Sea is. s of Sulawesi
clementiaeClementia’s Sunbird
buruensisBuru (wc Moluccas)
clementiaeBoano (nw of Seram), Ambon, Seram (ec Moluccas) and Watubela (s Moluccas)
keiensisKai Is. (se Moluccas)
idenburgiRand's SunbirdMamberamo, Sepik and Ramu basins, n New Guinea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back