• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Late Ring Ouzel (1 Viewer)

Reader

Something that might interest you guys & gals. I had a message left in my web sites guest book from a chap in Nuneaton. He posted it on Nov 25th but I must admit I don't check my guest book that often and didn't see it until a few days ago. He was telling me about a Ring Ouzel that was in his garden from Nov 21st to the 25th.

Not knowing anything about this chap I had a bit of a doubt regarding this find (could it be a partial Leucistic Blackbird) so I apologise to him for having that doubt. I did tactfully ask if he had any photos and sure enough after a few days he sent me a couple, and they are below.

I must admit I have never heard of a Ring Ouzel in a Midlands garden before, plus so late in the year as well, so I sent this news off to a few good Midland birders I know and apparently there had been a similar one in Fishponds Road, in Kenilworth from before Christmas 1995 to the 4th of January.

What a garden bird though, and one so late as well. I wonder if it is going to try and overwinter (this weather wouldn't be very conducive to its well being) or if it would try to carry on its late migration.

John

Attachments

• Pete's Ring Ouzel 1.jpg
    Pete's Ring Ouzel 1.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Pete's Ring Ouzel - Copy.jpg
    Pete's Ring Ouzel - Copy.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 91
I'm aware that Ring Ouzels can migrate quite late but those that are reported are coastal or relatively near the coast. They have probably gone down for a good feed before leaving these shores, but this bird is as far away from the coast as it can get, and that is the unusual part.

John

I'd say Nov 25th isn't too late for a Ring Ouzel on migration. In sussex we get them up to mid-November some years, and the latest record is in December. However I'm sure they can occasionally overwinter too.

Ring ouzel do sometimes winter in the UK a few years ago now I saw my 1st in a Liphook garden however it was tentavely muted as being of the race Alpistris(excuse the spelling if wrong)

Steve.

Hi John,

I found out about it a week or so after it had happened as it was in an old ladies garden and she didn't want loads of twitchers descending.

He's an experienced birder and it is a genuine sighting ... lucky git !

Hi Nick

Yes I feel a tad guilty at having a slight doubt, as I don't know him, but I'm still envious of him having such a garden bird.

John

Hi John,

I found out about it a week or so after it had happened as it was in an old ladies garden and she didn't want loads of twitchers descending.

He's an experienced birder and it is a genuine sighting ... lucky git !

I must admit I have never heard of a Ring Ouzel in a Midlands garden before, plus so late in the year as well, so I sent this news off to a few good Midland birders I know and apparently there had been a similar one in Fishponds Road, in Kenilworth from before Christmas 1995 to the 4th of January.

What a garden bird though, and one so late as well. I wonder if it is going to try and overwinter (this weather wouldn't be very conducive to its well being) or if it would try to carry on its late migration.

John

I know of a couple of wintering or very late birds in Cheshire and I think they have had them wintering in neighbouring Derbyshire also.

CB

There was one in Nottingham (in a small cemetery/garden setting if I remember correctly) at the same time that the Cedar Waxwing was present along with lots of Bohemian Waxwings in the snowy winter of 1995/6

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back